SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
LB_BlueVue
LB_BlueVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Sad Stopping for gas; engine stumbles on restart

I've been having a problem lately where my 4cyl Vue has a lot of trouble restarting. It seems to happen every time I stop at the gas station; the engine is still warm (not overheated) and it will often take two attempts before it catches. It always starts (so far), but it may take a bit of cranking and giving it a little gas.
However, cold starts have no problem, nor do I have trouble after the grocery store (still kinda warm).

Any idea what could cause this?

LB_BlueVue

Silver '05 FWD V6 Automatic
Replaced Blue '03 FWD I4 VTi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LB_BlueVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LB_BlueVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LB_BlueVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Stopping for gas; engine stumbles on restart

Probably a fuel problem. Because the symptoms are similar, it may be overfueling due to something like leaky injectors or regulator or underfueling due to a faulty pump check valve. Hard to say as an absolute since a very dirty air filter can exhibit similar issues. I also wouldn't automatically rule out an ignition fault.

At the next opportunity, before you crank the engine, put the throttle on the floor and keep it there while you crank the engine. This cuts off fuel. If the engine starts easier, then you have a good idea that you are overfueling at start up. If this does nothing different, then it may be underfueling due to the check valve or pump. You could test this by turning the key from stop to run two of three times to prime the injectors before starting the car. Only way to start a proper diagnose this is with a pressure gauge. If this test does have an affect, then you'll likely want to get the car to a shop for a proper diagnosis and repair.

And pumping the pedal does nothing. That's a carry over from the carburetor days when doing so made the accellerator pump shoot fuel down the venturi into the intake manifold. Electronic FI does this same thing as soon as you turn the key to the "run" position and as you're cranking it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote