SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Changing the liftgate hydraulic supports

I changed both hydraulic supports for the liftgate (rear hatch door) in my 2004 VUE. It was very easy and took less than a minute per side. These things are a ball and socket design. To get them to pop off we use a screwdriver to pry off the retaining ring and then it separates the connection; there is a small groove for the screwdriver. The new ones snap into place. Tips:
  • Replace both at the same time. If one support has failed then there is a chance the other will fail soon too since they both opened and closed the same number of times. Also a new support might open/close slower or faster than the old support.
  • Have somebody hold the liftgate open while you work. It is heavy but the job is fast so they don't need to hold it for a long time.
  • Separate the lower connection on the VUE's body first. If we separate the upper connection on the VUE's tailgate first then the support will swing down and hit us or smash into the taillight assembly.
  • After removing the old supports clean the "balls" with a paper towel and apply some white lithium grease.
  • Don't fool around with the old supports because they are gas charged. Just get rid of them.

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Changing the liftgate hydraulic supports

How much David 93 SL2m?

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: Changing the liftgate hydraulic supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
How much David 93 SL2m?
I got them at http://www.partsamerica.com/. Enter the year, make, and model, then search for "lift support" and you'll see them. At the time I ordered they only had a brand called "Strong Arm" and the price was $16.46 each. The Strong Arm part number is 4363. They claim these fit all 2002 to 2005 Saturn VUEs. They fit mine okay and so far seem to be working alright. These were less than half the price charged at the Saturn dealerships, even the ones that sell OEM parts over the Internet at very fair prices. Are these aftermarket parts as good as OEM? I don't know. Here is a hyperlink to the product but it might not work:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=565&PTSet=A

My local Advance Auto Parts didn't have them so I had to buy them over the Internet and have them shipped to me. The lift supports were packed well, shipped out of Knoxville TN, and arrived 2 days later. And they shared the tracking number with me. For the record Parts America includes Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts, and CSK Auto, Inc.

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Occassionally, my lift gate doesn't go up the last 2 or 3 inches. Which is bad because I need that clearance so my head doesn't bang into the liftgate. If I push it up, it will go up and stay up. I wonder if my supports need to be changed out as well.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
David 93 SL2m
Master Member

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: Changing the liftgate hydraulic supports

Before replacing them try lubricating them. For things such as trunk/hood hydraulic lifters and power retractable antennas, instead of using white lithium grease I've been using a lubricant that is actually designed for bicycles! It works well even under a very wide range of temperatures. Specifically I use Tri-Flow's wet lubricant in the drip bottle. We can find this at bicycle stores and probably over the Internet. Give it a try...

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Sup...rior_drip.html

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Ronoc
Ronoc is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Changing the liftgate hydraulic supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m View Post
Tips:
  • Replace both at the same time. If one support has failed then there is a chance the other will fail soon too since they both opened and closed the same number of times. Also a new support might open/close slower or faster than the old support.
  • Have somebody hold the liftgate open while you work. It is heavy but the job is fast so they don't need to hold it for a long time.
  • Separate the lower connection on the VUE's body first. If we separate the upper connection on the VUE's tailgate first then the support will swing down and hit us or smash into the taillight assembly.
  • After removing the old supports clean the "balls" with a paper towel and apply some white lithium grease.
  • Don't fool around with the old supports because they are gas charged. Just get rid of them.
Thank You!

I ordered 2 Monroe #901629 from rockauto.com the other day and figured I should check to see if anyone had some tips. Glad I checked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ronoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ronoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ronoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
LB_BlueVue
LB_BlueVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Occassionally, my lift gate doesn't go up the last 2 or 3 inches. Which is bad because I need that clearance so my head doesn't bang into the liftgate. If I push it up, it will go up and stay up. I wonder if my supports need to be changed out as well.
Mine was doing the same thing. Ordered new supports from Amazon, and it works like a charm now. If anything, they're a little too strong.

LB_BlueVue

Silver '05 FWD V6 Automatic
Replaced Blue '03 FWD I4 VTi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LB_BlueVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LB_BlueVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LB_BlueVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I ordered the same units from Amazon 3 years ago, and they are still stronger than the OEM struts were.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote