SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
jcm22
jcm22 is on a distinguished road

Default TPS test on 2001 saturn SL1

BarnOwl stated:

That sounds like a problem with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and yes, it will reset when restarted. When it's running badly, try tapping on the TPS with a screwdriver handle and jiggling the wires and see if it changes

Hi BarnOwl,

I took the TPS connector off and started my car. The RPM's raced up and down from 700 - 1000. I shut the car off and plugged the tps connector back on and started the car and the car idled steady at 700rpm.

I am going to replace the gas cap tonight and see if that does anything.

I'll keep you posted - Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcm22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcm22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
jcm22

Default Re: TPS test on 2001 saturn SL1

New gas cap didn't solve the problem.

I also want to mention that my car never throws a code with this problem. (Bucking kicking, loss of power)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jcm22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Have you done the screwdriver test yet?

A bad gas cap will throw a code.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Your diagnostic doesn't show much of anything.

Of course the car will be annoyed when the TP sensor is unplugged, that loping idle is proof. Randomly unplugging sensors is a poor way of finding a problem, as the failsafe you trigger (running rich etc) can mask the real issue.

Hint, a flaky TPS usually leads to an occasional high idle but going great down the road. Any flaky spots are cured by a slight change in accellerator position. Most flaky spots are near idle where the pedal spends most of its time.

Bucking, kicking, and power loss sound like something else. Have you checked the intake gasket yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
jcm22

Hi Eljefino and Romzek,

I thought unplugging the tps would at least show that it was working. unplugged then plugged in. I also jiggled the wires around to the tps unit while the car was running and there was no change.

Hint, a flaky TPS usually leads to an occasional high idle but going great down the road.

There is never an occasional high idle, idles nice and smooth @ 700rpm

My car never throws a code with this problem. (bucking, kicking, power loss, bogging etc) Just out of the blue it justs starts with the symptoms described above while cruising down the road in town.

I replaced the intake gasket (definitely shot) I sprayed some carb cleaner near the #1 cylinder and sure enough, the rpm's took a nose dive. After replacing the intake gasket, the car ran much better but I still had symptoms of the bucking, kicking, bogging etc. I also replaced the fuel filter, oxygen sensor, ects, cleaned the egr, new pcv, air filter, plugs and wires.

What is the screw driver test that I should perform?

I do want to mention that one code was thrown and that was due to me forgetting to hook up the vacuum line after finishing the intake gasket job. It was code P0440. After hooking it back up, there was no more code. ( Autozone cleared it for me)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

The "screwdriver" test is tapping on the TPS with a screwdriver handle to see if the idle changes which would indicate a flaky sensor.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote