SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Shopping for Another Car

I'm on the hunt for another car, a commuter for your's truly. I drive our Outlook XR to work maybe once a week. The rest of the week, it's for the wife, although I get to drive it around on weekends and do all the driving on our vacation trips.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward getting myself an SUV instead of another sedan. I've decided to hand down the sedan to my 16 year old daughter who is studying for her license. It's not a grandpa car, much to her relief.

I've been looking at five passenger SUVs, including the 2008 Vue, which I like better than the current/previous generation. I've also looked at the Hummer3,the new Land Rover LR2, Nissan Murano, and the new Mazda CX-7. I always buy my vehicles loaded, so that's the price I go by. I don't do aftermarket add-ons. Must haves: satellite radio and in-dash Navigation; almost must haves: Xenon HIDs.

Here's what I've found:

Price: Land Rover LR2 and Nissan Murano: 39.9K
Mazda CX-7: 34K
Hummer 3: 38.7K
Saturn Vue: 31K (but no Xenon HIDs and no satellite radio)

I like the LR2 cause it's new, there aren't many on the road and the terrain change dial (rain/snow, mud, sand, dry) is just too cool; I like the Murano because Nissan's are high quality cars--I own a Nissan sports sedan and love it; I like the Mazda cause the CX-7 has the best price to fun ratio AND includes all the must haves and almost must haves; I like the H3 cause it's just different and kind of arrogant looking; I like the Vue because it's cheap and it's a Saturn. My Outlook is my first Saturn and I like it a lot. But the Vue doesn't come with HIDs as an option.

What do you folks think of the above vehicles? Honestly. Anybody have an opinion?

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Boltbacker
Boltbacker is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Shopping for Another Car

The 08 VUE comes standard with XM, ALL Saturn models for 08 are standard with it.

Danger: High Voltage!!!
07' XR FWD Ocean Mist, Grey Leather, everything else but Nav. Added 3M clear bra, tinted front windows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boltbacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boltbacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boltbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
06VRL
06VRL is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE Red Line

Land Rover's LR2 I've read may have some quality issues.

I like the Murano myself accept for one very important feature CVT, it's got one and there have been issues with it.

Now the Mazda CX-7 has gotten very good reviews, it apparently handles better than any CUV out there, but it only comes in a 4 cyl and there's styling issues for myself, but it would be a good all around choice.

The Hummer, well it's strictly a "POSEUR" Vehicle, but if your into that sort of thing, oh and the mileage sucks.

If your into sporty, the Vue Red Line has everything your looking for accept the HID's (there probably is a kit out that there would work to put HID's into the Vue)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, Good Luck on your choice!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06VRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06VRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06VRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
mwhite
mwhite is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

My son's cx-7 had terrible turbo lag,very bad fuel mileage! He traded it in for a Hundai Sonata for his wife with the the v6 which gets better mileage! I have driven both and also prefer the Sonata! Also very bad blind spots in the cx-7! JMHO!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mwhite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mwhite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Acura MDX if you can afford it.
Good deals on Jeep Grand Cherokees are available.
Honda Pilot?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Acura MDX if you can afford it.
Good deals on Jeep Grand Cherokees are available.
Honda Pilot?
Can't afford the MDX with my oldest starting college next month. My first "Daddy" tuition check. Ouch! Gotta keep under 40K for sure. Jeeps have just as bad a quality record as I've heard about Land Rovers. I'm just not a Honda guy. Acura, maybe, if I had the money, but Honda is like Buick to Toyota's Ford. I can't stand Buicks and Fords. They're too "me too." Too safe. Too boring. Too "everybody on the street has one."

I don't think the H3 is a "poseur" vehicle when you can get one similarly equipped for the same price as an Outlook. To me a poseur vehicle is a vehicle few people can afford.

Anyway, I really don't have a favorite right now. This will be a difficult decision and one I won't make until I've test driven all of them, including the 2008 Vue. I just don't know if I want a vehicle without HIDs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

I'm curious, if its a strictly a commuter vehicle you need why do you need an SUV? I gather you live in the mountains because most people buy something the size of a Honda Civic as a commuter (where I live anyway). If you must have an SUV, I'd try to find an '07 V6 Vue (if you can find one). Good on gas and dependable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
Gotta keep under 40K for sure. I'm just not a Honda guy. Acura, maybe, if I had the money, but Honda is like Buick to Toyota's Ford. I can't stand Buicks and Fords.
I don't think the H3 is a "poseur" vehicle when you can get one similarly equipped for the same price as an Outlook. To me a poseur vehicle is a vehicle few people can afford.
First you need to decide whether you want a car or SUV
2. You need to decide whether you want car based SUV or truck based
I was going to suggest getting an Enclave to go with the Outlook. It's quite different and very nice.
The H3 isn't a particularly good vehicle on road. Great off road.
I'd buy an LR2 just for the sake of buying a Land Rover.
I think you need something the opposite of the Outlook like an Infiniti G37.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Commuter? 2008 VUE Green Line The VUE must have XM satellite radio. You better double check that.

The Hummer H3 is fairly capable, but it's still a Chevy Colorado underneath (which I like). I've read that the I5 is grossly underpowered.

As for Nissan, they are having a lot of quality quibbles from what I have heard. Also, as mentioned, the CVTs in Nissans SUVs are not doing a whole lot better than the dreaded VTi in the old VUEs. The ones in the cars seem to be ok, much like the VTi in the ION is mostly trouble free. Seemed to be the extra wieght that the CVTs cannot handle.

I just detest Land Rovers for some reason. They seem like nothing special for an extra special price.

And the Mazda CX-7 and 9s are just ugly IMO, but some like them.

What about the Pontiac Torrent/Chevy Equinox/Suzuki XL-7? The Suzuki might have HIDs, but I'm not sure. Or a Ford Escape pod? Or the Dodge Nitro (which is even uglier than the Mazdas IMO). OR the Caliber, which is almost an SUV, sorta. There's the Jeep Compass (junk) Patriot or Liberty. Or the Mazda5? Those things I kinda like the look of for some reason.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

I think I want my commuter car to be an SUV and not some little Honda Civic because for one thing, I hate little puddle jumper cars. I drive 60 miles each way to work, almost all interstate highway. On some stretches, I can really air it out--with one eye on the lookout for Smokey the Bear. A Civic or some other gas saver is BORING. I don't want just transportation to work; I want some affordable excitement.

I've thought about a Dodge Charger SRT8 (real top speed 165 mph), 4.9 sec, 0 to 60. At my age, my next purchase has to be my mid-life crisis car (before it's too late and I'm in a retirement community or nursing home), and the top of the line Charger would fit the bill. Problem is, a loaded one comes a tic over 40K and I can't go that high. I still need a fairly roomy five seater for those occasions when I take the wife and kids out and the Outlook is in the shop. A Charger is big and fast. As is a Chrysler 300C. But I'd like to do something different this time and get an SUV. It sits up high which is easier on my back (herniated disk) when I get in and out than a sedan.

I won't touch anything from GM that isn't an offshoot like Saturn or Hummer. I don't trust 'em, except for Chevys. But Chevys are boring. Toyotas are boring. Hondas are boring. Nissans, the ones with the big engines, are athletic. I actually like torque steer in my front wheel drives! Makes me feel like a wild animal is under the hood when I come off the line with the accelerator floored.

I guess I'm exposing myself as someone who enjoys interacting with the car. I don't want and have never liked, boring, serene, no-frills, super gas mileage, basic, common sense, ultra-reliable transportation. You know, like a Buick LeSabre or Toyota Camry--or Honda Civic. I'd sooner slit my wrists than buy one of those.

No, this vehicle has got to serve two purposes: haul the family around occasionally and get me to work everyday in exciting, mid-life crisis fashion. I thought about the Aura XR but it doesn't come with HIDs or in-dash navigation. It is supposed to be very fast, however.

So, if I get a sedan it absolutely has to thrill me with speed, handling, the whole mid-life crisis ball of wax, but also be big enough for five adults. if I get a SUV, I don't care about speed. I'll fulfill my mid-life crisis needs with something different, something with a younger image and a lot of electronic gizmos to fiddle with. I love that stuff! Plus, I get to sit up high which is easier on my back.

Last edited by ThePlainsman; 07-28-2007 at 09:06 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Nissan Murano,

What do you folks think of the above vehicles? Honestly. Anybody have an opinion?
So you know, my dad has a Murano with 37K miles on it. The paint is falling off of it. Japanese paint is junk on this Nissan. CVT in his Murano just imploded this week. $4500 to replace it!!!! DO NOT BUY A NISSAN MURANO. Looks good, but paint is JUNK, CVT is JUNK.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I've thought about a Dodge Charger SRT8 (real top speed 165 mph), 4.9 sec, 0 to 60. At my age, my next purchase has to be my mid-life crisis car (before it's too late and I'm in a retirement community or nursing home), and the top of the line Charger would fit the bill. Problem is, a loaded one comes a tic over 40K and I can't go that high. I still need a fairly roomy five seater for those occasions when I take the wife and kids out and the Outlook is in the shop. A Charger is big and fast. As is a Chrysler 300C. But I'd like to do something different this time and get an SUV. It sits up high which is easier on my back (herniated disk) when I get in and out than a sedan.
You could go for the R/T. It has all the options except for the 6.1L V8

Quote:
So, if I get a sedan it absolutely has to thrill me with speed, handling, the whole mid-life crisis ball of wax,
Have you ever driven a BMW?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Pliansman, from what you just said, how about an Impala SS?

And the difference between a Pontiac and a Chevy is the same as the differnce between a Pontiac, and a Saturn you know, but w/e.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADEDSL2 View Post
So you know, my dad has a Murano with 37K miles on it. The paint is falling off of it. Japanese paint is junk on this Nissan. CVT in his Murano just imploded this week. $4500 to replace it!!!! DO NOT BUY A NISSAN MURANO. Looks good, but paint is JUNK, CVT is JUNK.
Nissan has a 60K mile powertrain warranty.
You may think it have "imploded" but if the problem cannot be fixed with a software update a CVT has to be removed and replaced regardless of the issue. It can't be repaired at the dealer.
It looks like the Murano is doing fairly well for transmission reliability in most surveys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Nissan has a 60K mile powertrain warranty.
You may think it have "imploded" but if the problem cannot be fixed with a software update a CVT has to be removed and replaced regardless of the issue. It can't be repaired at the dealer.
It looks like the Murano is doing fairly well for transmission reliability in most surveys.
Not if you survey the mechanic I know that's replacing the damn things all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

I like Nissan but I am suspicious of the CVT. It stopped me from buying a Murano three years ago. I test drove one and the CVT didn't really grab me. It was nice but not exciting. I'm also concerned at how old the exterior design is now. 2008 will look exactly like 2003 and every year in-between. So, I'm scratching the Murano from my list.

Took a second look today at a Land Rover LR2. There was a beautiful Tamborine Orange Metallic color that's hard to get but the dealer near me had one. A truly unique color. They have an obstacle type course right on the lot to show off the capabilities of the Range Rovers and Land Rovers. Even the smallish LR2 can go through 19 inches of water.

But after driving one, I have three concerns: the 230 HP engine--how will this be fully loaded with passengers? The smallish second row seat. Three long-legged teenagers would not be comfortable on long trips. A Chrysler 300C sedan is much more spacious and comfortable. The third thing I'm concerned about is the reputation Land Rover has for problem vehicles. Their reputation is horrible. It seems Europeans from the Brits to the Germans have terrible quality records. Worse than American cars. And because Euro cars tend to be upscale, parts replacement is ridiculously expensive.

I guess I need to take a second look at the 2008 Vue, even though it doesn't offer HIDs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #17
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I would go with the 2008 Saturn Vue AWD V6 it looks better, the price is good, and plenty of horsepower. The only problem that I'm having the vue is no sunroof as an option that I really hate. I don't when the sunroof will come avaliable to buy. Don't want an aftermarket sunroof. When ever the sunroof comes as an option will buy the loaded 08 SATURN VUE AWD V6 RL.

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell89 View Post
I would go with the 2008 Saturn Vue AWD V6 it looks better, the price is good, and plenty of horsepower. The only problem that I'm having the vue is no sunroof as an option that I really hate. I don't when the sunroof will come avaliable to buy. Don't want an aftermarket sunroof. When ever the sunroof comes as an option will buy the loaded 08 SATURN VUE AWD V6 RL.
No sunroof? Damn, I just assumed...I bet they put sunroof and HIDs in the 2009 model. Why do they do that? Why do they make us wait till the second year to get everything we want? Then what is our incentive to buy the first year?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Took a second look today at a Land Rover LR2.
The third thing I'm concerned about is the reputation Land Rover has for problem vehicles. Their reputation is horrible. It seems Europeans from the Brits to the Germans have terrible quality records. Worse than American cars. And because Euro cars tend to be upscale, parts replacement is ridiculously expensive.
Buying a Land Rover requires you to be committed in both good and bad ways.
What do you think of the Pathfinder? It's available with the Titan's V8 engine now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Buying a Land Rover requires you to be committed in both good and bad ways.
What do you think of the Pathfinder? It's available with the Titan's V8 engine now.
I considered the Pathfinder before I bought an Outlook. The third row seat was a joke. Interior room didn't match up to the Outlook. I did not know about the Titan engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!