SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
mile2885
mile2885 is on a distinguished road

Default Bent Frame on SC2 can it be fixed?

Got a question for anybody who can anwser...I was looking at a 2001 Saturn SC2 that was involved in a "light roll" (basically went up on the drivers side). The car looks easy enough to fix but I was wondering about the crossmember that has the hood bumpers right before the radiator. This is bent down on the driverside and I don't know it its worth fixing. Any thoughts? is it possibe to fix or replace that cross member? It looks like its tack welded to the rest of the frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mile2885's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mile2885 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mile2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Bent Frame on SC2 can it be fixed?

That's the radiator core support. Yes, it can be fixed. There is quite a bit of disassembly involved and you have to cut the tack welds, but it's not a terribly difficult repair. Most times, they are just straightened out, though. If this is a car you are considering buying, you'd want to deduct the cost of the repair to understand the purhcase price. You'd also want to have the front frame cradle inspected for damage. If the core is bent, the cradle may also be bent, which is a fairly expensive repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
mile2885
mile2885 is on a distinguished road

Ya, I've done the cradle on my SL2. That was NOT a fun job! Well, the SC2 I'm looking at has 78,000 miles on it and I can probably pick it up for $300. Might be worth it to try and see what I can do with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mile2885's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mile2885 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mile2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
codytheoutlaw
codytheoutlaw is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

for $300 why did you even ask. it has up to $1000 worth of parts on it if you part it out, depending on the damage of course. im assuming if you think it can be repaired, its worth more than $300.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to codytheoutlaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help codytheoutlaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
codytheoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
DecayingOmega
DecayingOmega is on a distinguished road

When the frame of a car becomes bent, it is pretty much totaled. It can be repaired, but it will never be true again, and it will lead to constant alignment, and tire wear problems. But for $300 it would be a steal as a parts car. I would strip that baby down the the frame and then sell the frame to a metal recycling place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DecayingOmega's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DecayingOmega reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DecayingOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
KAdams4458
KAdams4458 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingOmega View Post
When the frame of a car becomes bent, it is pretty much totaled. It can be repaired, but it will never be true again, and it will lead to constant alignment, and tire wear problems. But for $300 it would be a steal as a parts car. I would strip that baby down the the frame and then sell the frame to a metal recycling place.
I must respectfully disagree. A good shop with good technicians and some of those state of the art frame machines with the laser and such will have absolutely no problem making a car true and straight again. I've experienced it myself. In one instance, a car that had suffered uni-body damage actually ended up driving better after being repaired than it had before the accident. All other times the car was as good as new after repairs were made, with no alignment or tire-wear issues to speak of.

Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KAdams4458's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KAdams4458 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote