SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
justinksw
justinksw is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default 99 SC2 Service Engine Light

Hello everyone

I am the proud owner of 3 Saturns and my 'ole reliable' gave me some problems this year. I live in NY state and when I went for the inspection earlier this year, it failed due to the readiness tests not being complete. The battery had never been dead or disconnected for that matter, and I was a bit confused as to why it would be like that.

I didn't exactly have time to get around to fixing the car, and I had the advantage of an 'extra' car available to me so the car has basically sat around for the last 6 months (aside from the occasional start and move around the yard).

I'm planning on getting the car back on the road as I really miss it, and I have a few problems. Last week I had the service engine light on and I retrieved the codes with a friend's reader and got 410 and a pending 341.

I'm not concerned about the 341 as it's an easy one for me to fix with a simple plug wire replacement (hopefully anyway). The 410 gave me some troubles though... I checked everything in the secondary air injection system (all lines, air pump, solenoid, and valve). I went so far as disconnecting items one at a time and verified flow all the way to the exhaust manifold. Everything looked good.

Now I'm not sure if the code would clear by itself, or if it would need reset, so I disconnected the battery. While it was disconnected I started poking around a little more and had a couple questions:
- What is the line that is connected directly to the right of my oil cap? It connects from there to the intake manifold, and I pulled it off to check it out and found a large amount of gunk on it. I cleaned it all up and saw some small ports along the bottom of the cylinder shaped device. What is this thing and what does it do?

- Where the vacuum line connects to the intake manifold and goes over to the air pump valve, there is another little line. This line goes from the intake manifold towards the firewall and down out of sight. What's this line for?

I do apologize for my long-winedness, but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible to help you understand exactly what I'm referring to. Thanks in advance for any help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinksw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinksw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinksw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: 99 SC2 Service Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinksw View Post
- What is the line that is connected directly to the right of my oil cap? It connects from there to the intake manifold, and I pulled it off to check it out and found a large amount of gunk on it. I cleaned it all up and saw some small ports along the bottom of the cylinder shaped device. What is this thing and what does it do?
That's the PCV valve and the vacuum hose that "powers" it. If the ball inside doesn't rattle, time to replace it. ONLY OEM; the aftermarket PCV valves aren't calibrated correctly, and will cause oil consumption.

Quote:
- Where the vacuum line connects to the intake manifold and goes over to the air pump valve, there is another little line. This line goes from the intake manifold towards the firewall and down out of sight. What's this line for?
Hm, not sure on the later models with the AIR pump. Might be for the CCPS (carbon canister purge solenoid). The VECI label on the front of the car under the hood should have a diagram of the vacuum hoses.

Quote:
I do apologize for my long-winedness, but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible to help you understand exactly what I'm referring to.
'Sall good. It's refreshing to read complete sentences in an opening post for a change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
justinksw

1999 SC2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for the response madpogue

OK- update here:

I replaced the PCV valve, and made sure all the hoses look good, and that air pump was functioning properly. While I was at it, I also replaced the ECTS due to many stories of issues with it (and it's a cheap fix).

I re-connected the battery, started it up, and everything looked great. That is until this morning when the light came back on...

I'm going to retrieve the code this afternoon so I'll post the results later.

EDIT - is there any way the EGR valve could cause Secondary Air Injection code?

Last edited by justinksw; 07-31-2007 at 06:29 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help justinksw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
justinksw

1999 SC2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

uhh... thanks for the help?

In case anyone was wondering (maybe I'm only typing this for my own benefit) I did manage to fix the car and keep the light from coming back on. I even went so far as to pass my NY inspection. I never found anything glaring that was the problem, I assume it was a combination of things I did to fix it.

My next project of sorts this coming weekend is to replace the exhaust from the flange down, including muffler.

Dare I ask does anyone have any advice for this? This is my first time trying to replace the exhaust on a car so it should be 'fun'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!