SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
BgThang
BgThang is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 saturn vue 100k Service?

My wifes car is ona pprox 95k and we are fixing to go into the shop for the 100k service.
The manual states tranny fluid, tranny additive, fuel filter, plugs, replace timing belt, and drain-refill- and pressure test coolant system.

There is approximately 8 saturn dealers within 100 miles of where I live.
I called all of them to get pricing on this service.
It ranged from 900 to 1400. Thought it was interesting the price difference.

One shop said they automatically include a new water pump, pulleys and tensioner for the timing belt, and all of them included an oil change.

most of the other places will inspect these parts and replace if needed then add to the cost of the service.
I think I am going to bite the bullet and go to the service center that will change everything. the price was approx 1400.00 includes tax.
They will also diagnose the service engine light they consider this part of the service. None of the other dealers would.

if I was just to get the plugs, timing belt, and water pump done it would cost like 1600. So they are definitely giving a discount.

Does this price sound about right. the timing belt would cost itself between 750 - 900 depending on which shop I go to.

We almost have the vue paid off. we only owe 2500 left. We want to keep this for as long as possible. Want to hit 200k and beyond.

We have only had minor things wrong so far, the drivetrain has been absolutely solid. Its just hard to believe the freaking timing belt is nearly as much as a rebuilt motor.
I have done belts myself in hondas, dodge trucks and ford rangers 4 bangers usually, they never ran more then 300 at the dealer.
they want like 375 to do the spark plugs.

excuse the rants its just gonna run 1400 for preventive maintenance.
I guess if it helps to preserve the longevity of the vehicle it will be worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BgThang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BgThang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BgThang is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 saturn vue 100k Service?

I believe we share the same 3.0 liter V6 engine and this post may help, in particular posting #7 from mike1161; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99700 if you're interested in doing it yourself.

Its a real DIYer doing everything himself to save $$$ and without the required tools to hold the camshaft timing still with nothing more than vise-grips and attention to detail. If anything it makes for decent reading. I wouldn't recommend this work for everyone as many things can go wrong if timing is off just a little bit but the work can be accomplished if paying close attention to the whole replacement procedure and taking the time to perform this. A bit of patience goes a long way also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

My 2003 VUE (V6 AWD) will be hitting 100K soon. I too have been looking into the 100K service.

Replacing the water pump is a good idea. Mine went out at 75K and cost about $450 to be replaced at the dealership.

I had my transmission serviced at 50K (at the dealership). It cost nearly $200. As far as I can tell, they just drained the tranny and put in new fluid.

My oil changing folks (not the dealership) can service the transmission for $80. They have the same stuff as the dealership.

The big issue is timing belt and plugs. You've got a fair amount of disassembly to pull of the intake manifold (about 35 step). Only then can you gain access to the plugs. You go deeper for the belt.

I am thinking about using the dealership for the engine work. I also want them to look hard at the valve cover gaskets. Some folks have found them to leak oil when they hit 75K+. Also, its a good time to replace the thermostat.

I think you can probably whittle the cost down a bit from the original quotes (transmission service, oil change). At least you'll get the free car wash!

Let us know how it goes. I hope to be driving my VUE for another 100K. Of all the GM vehicles I've owned, the VUE is my favorite.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgThang View Post
I think I am going to bite the bullet and go to the service center that will change everything. the price was approx 1400.00 includes tax.
Definately let us know how it goes. We have an '03, 3.0L Vue as well, but ours only has 50K miles on it, so it'll be a while before our 100K service.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
BgThang
BgThang is on a distinguished road

well if I was to just have the timing belt, water pump, and plugs done the cost would be more than the 100k service. SO I was just going to have them do the full service. THis way I get the oil change, coolant, and fuel filter done as well.
SO they kinda got you either way.

I found the problem today with my A/C controls.
Will post another thread for this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BgThang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BgThang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BgThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the feedback. Let us know how the servicing goes. I am about 6 mos. behind you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote