SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 08:40 AM   #1
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default ION to start production this month?

According to the Visit Us section of the Saturn web site,

"Due to the model year change over, the Saturn plant will be closed and tours will not be conducted June 29, 2002 through July 8, 2002. Tours will resume on July 9, 2002. We apologize for any inconvenience in our tour schedule."

Does this mean that the ION will start production on the ninth? I understand the ION coupe will be late, so will the '02 SC have a long production year? Will there be a '03 SC to fill the time gap before the ION coupe arrives? I remember the 2000 SC had a very short run to make up for the early restyled 2001 SC. Or are they just not going to produce any coupes until this winter?

I'm excited because I will probably be visiting Spring Hill for a possible plant tour later this month. It would be awesome to see the ION in production!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
RedRockerL300
RedRockerL300 is on a distinguished road

From what I understand, the S-Series production has totally stopped. There will be no more SL's or SC's done this year from what I know of. I wish the Coupe was coming out earlier but I can wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRockerL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRockerL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 09:31 AM   #3
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down no more SC's

I believe retailers were asked to project how many SC's they would need between now and spring '03 when the ION coupe comes out. Those SC's were then built and sent out. From what I understand, there are to be more SC's built.

This is overly simplistic, but, if it's a matter of the Saturn 1.9 engine no longer being built, they should have retrofitted the SC's like they did the Sunfire and Cavalier. I would have gladly bought that. Oh well.
Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

On a related note, if the ION starts production in four days, then that means that an official price and equipmtn list should be released any moment now.

On another related note, my retailer told me yesterday that they were told not to expect the ION until December.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Question

I really want to have the offical ION brochure and see what this ION thing is all about.

Some retailer insiders have driven the pre-prod '03 L-series, what about pre-prod ION? Anyone has a sneak peek in person yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:15 AM   #6
Yankeez
Yankeez is on a distinguished road

I'm wating for the pricing also. The base sedan has 14" wheels and no A/C. This once again puts Saturn in the position of a high fixed MSRP with few standard features and very expensive options. If Motor trends "estimated" price starting at $13,500 is correct. This is bad news. Add another $1800-$2000 for A/C and auto trans on the base ION sedan and you are already over $15,000 with $500 for a typical destination charge. Add another $300 to get a Cd stereo in a base model.

Other brands offer alot more eqiupment standard for a lower negoitable MSRP.

I'm starting to lean towards the 03' cavalier coupe. Which will have the ecotec as the standard engine starting in 03'. Cavaliers go for way below MSRP regularly and I can use my GM card earnings on it.

I'm frustrated with Saturn on thier pricing for the S series and now possibly the ION. Compact cars even the well equipped models shouldn't run into the prices of the mid size models.

The L series and VUE have more of a fair market value price to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yankeez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yankeez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 12:00 PM   #7
Yankeez
Yankeez is on a distinguished road

Pontiac has cleaned up the Sunfire coupe for 2003. It kind of looks like the current SC but you get the ecotec standard for 03'.

Pontiac has a site about the 03 sunfire coupe. i couldn't post it directly without a error so go to www.pontiac.com then click on the link for the sunfire on the pontiac homepage. It will pop you up onto the new sunfire preview.

The redesigned cavalier for 03' looks much more plain which is what I am looking for.

With GM having 3 compact model lines all in either coupe or sedan. And all having the ecotec as the only engine for all of them. We will at least have alot of choices to get our ecotec compact cars

It hurts to say it as a saturnfan but I think the ION will lose out to the Sunfire and Cavalier. The ION loses out on it's fixed MSRP, low standard feature content, and exclusion from GM card earnings.

I know the ION is on a differnt platform but with all three brands offering the one and only engine across the board. At least untill the supercharged Ecotec comes out. The ION and J body cars are so similar in what they offer in size ect. The individual style and price of each model seems to me the key here.

I like the ION quad coupe the best but price will proably get me into the Cavalier coupe.

I'm sure my saturn dealers service dept. would gladly do all the non warranty work on a ecotec cavalier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yankeez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yankeez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:09 PM   #8
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

The standard inclusion of the Ecotec in the Sunfire/Cavalier/ION isn't going to be what determines sales. 99.9% of the owners of cars in this class probably have no clue about the engine in their car. Very few people will buy a compact car because of its base engine offering. A turbo will likely draw sales, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2002, 01:36 PM   #9
RedRockerL300
RedRockerL300 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. The new Sunfire looks way better than the Cavalier IMO. Not bad. I'm still interested in seeing the ION up close. I'll miss the SC. If I don't like the ION, I may hold out and wait for a used 02 SC2 to get traded in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRockerL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRockerL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #10
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

The Center-Pod and bumper car steering in ION will help to draw some sales in......

The Base car is back to no-AC bare-bone again?!
It's model year 2003, and Saturn is back to the old '80s car-selling scheme again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 03:59 PM   #11
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Wait, the 03 Cavalier is still on its same old platform right?

Are you kidding me? You would consider a car still built on a modified Citation platform (the flower of 1980 design) over a new Delta based car for $1,000 difference?

IMO the J bodies have a lot to do with young people's perception of GM as makers of junk cars. They may sell a lot o them, but those people are never coming back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

There is no more 2002 S-Series production. Spring Hill starts building IONs next week. Sedan orders aren't expected before August and won't hit showrooms before the traditional October model year introduction. Quadcoupes begin production around Christmas and may not be in showrooms before March 2003.

As far as pricing is concerned, I'm betting the base model starts in the mid-$12K range and the most expensive ION (the uplevel quadcoupe) at $17K. Motor Trend has been wrong before. If I'm wrong, at least I have the redface icon to say 'I goofed'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 04:47 PM   #13
SATURNOFPLANO
SATURNOFPLANO is on a distinguished road

As a Saturn Retailer, I can assure you that 2002 S-series production is not over yet. I have units scheduled for August production. Spring Hill may be producing a few pre-prod Ion's, but it will be late fall before we see any at the retail level. One of our tech's went to tech training last week in Spring Hill and got to see the Ion sedan up close. He was impressed, even though from the press release photos he was not. We are anxious for the product. We have been told late fall for sedans and early spring for quad coupes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNOFPLANO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNOFPLANO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:01 PM   #14
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by SATURNOFPLANO
As a Saturn Retailer, I can assure you that 2002 S-series production is not over yet. I have units scheduled for August production. Spring Hill may be producing a few pre-prod Ion's, but it will be late fall before we see any at the retail level. One of our tech's went to tech training last week in Spring Hill and got to see the Ion sedan up close. He was impressed, even though from the press release photos he was not. We are anxious for the product. We have been told late fall for sedans and early spring for quad coupes.
Do you think it will be a case like the 2003 L series.. where everyone said they hated it, until they saw it in person at least? I don't particularly like the design of the ION in the pics I have seen, but then again I think a Silver Blue SL1 is the picture of perfect automotive design. I had the pleasure of being one of the first people at the dealership where I work to drive an '03 L car.. and as hideous ad the ION looks now, if it is anything like the improvement from the '02 L to the '03 L, I think Saturn is in good shape.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2002, 03:04 AM   #15
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
Do you think it will be a case like the 2003 L series.. where everyone said they hated it, until they saw it in person at least? I don't particularly like the design of the ION in the pics I have seen, but then again I think a Silver Blue SL1 is the picture of perfect automotive design. I had the pleasure of being one of the first people at the dealership where I work to drive an '03 L car.. and as hideous ad the ION looks now, if it is anything like the improvement from the '02 L to the '03 L, I think Saturn is in good shape.
I thought both the ION sedan and quad coupe were much more impressive in person than in pictures. I didn't even care too much for the '03 L at the auto show back in March... but I was at my retailer earlier this week and saw a bunch of '03 L's next to some 2002's, and I was really impressed. The 2003's have a much more substantial, upscale, and refined look to them. In particular, the 'projector' head- and tail-lights make the car look very sophisticated.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2002, 03:13 AM   #16
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: ION to start production this month?

Quote:
Originally posted by spencerb
According to the Visit Us section of the Saturn web site,

"Due to the model year change over, the Saturn plant will be closed and tours will not be conducted June 29, 2002 through July 8, 2002. Tours will resume on July 9, 2002. We apologize for any inconvenience in our tour schedule."

Does this mean that the ION will start production on the ninth? I understand the ION coupe will be late, so will the '02 SC have a long production year? Will there be a '03 SC to fill the time gap before the ION coupe arrives? I remember the 2000 SC had a very short run to make up for the early restyled 2001 SC. Or are they just not going to produce any coupes until this winter?

I'm excited because I will probably be visiting Spring Hill for a possible plant tour later this month. It would be awesome to see the ION in production!
Saturn will be building a few IONs this summer for testing, but production of the S-Series will continue at full-steam until September. Then plant will shut down again for a week for the official changeover to the ION. If you take the tour later this month, you may get to see them building one. If not, you should be able to see a few being driven around outside the plant!

Enjoy the tour, its definitely worth the time.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2002, 08:15 AM   #17
germ
Advanced Member
germ is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by Yankeez
Pontiac has cleaned up the Sunfire coupe for 2003. It kind of looks like the current SC.
That wasn't the first time I've heard that.That was one of the first things I thought about when I took a look at some of the earlier photos of 'em.And like ya say,it does come with the Ecotec.

I totally agree with manualman,the whole J body mess is pretty much why cavs,and sunfires kinda suck. They aren't the worst car in the world,but I still wouldn't want to own one.But to a lot of people that fact that these cars roll on an 80's design isn't something mainstream buyers look at.Maybe if they did they wouldn't sell so many.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to germ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help germ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2002, 10:29 AM   #18
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy

~D.J.~
Although I will admit that the 03 L looks better in person....I still dont like it though. My feelings were the same towards the ION coupe it looked better in person but I still didnt like it. The only car I did like in person was the ION sedan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2002, 11:31 AM   #19
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by manualman

IMO the J bodies have a lot to do with young people's perception of GM as makers of junk cars. They may sell a lot o them, but those people are never coming back!
GM has relatively high owner loyality. VW by comparison has one of the lowest owner loylaity records. I have a I have a 94 Cavelier and Saturn, and a "99 Jetta. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the first two, but never another VW.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2002, 06:32 PM   #20
billdeebs
billdeebs is on a distinguished road

I really want to have the offical ION brochure and see what this ION thing is all about.

Some retailer insiders have driven the pre-prod '03 L-series, what about pre-prod ION? Anyone has a sneak peek in person yet?>>

If anybody here is local to Detroit, the SPC will have a pre-production Ion or two joining us for our 5th Annual Summer Rally. Rumor has it we may see them put through their paces as well.. Just a rumor of course, but we do drag race, dyno and do some fun road course type things. Heck, even if you're not from Detroit feel free to join us. People are already coming from California, Florida, Canada, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri, New York, Connecticut and a few others.

I remember noticing a post a few days ago about missing the homecomings Saturn used to hold.. We too had our first Rally as a homecoming and it was great!! This year we are doing another, this time with Saturn Corporate in Detroit. They are joining us for our events and even giving us a mini-tour of one of their engineering facilities as well as hosting a joint employee/SPC car show with awards. For full details check out the SPC website: www.saturnperformanceclub.com. Thanks, John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billdeebs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billdeebs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread