SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default XR Leather Wrapped Steering Wheels

I was at my Saturn dealer yesterday trying to find out where my new orange Vue was. Based on their info, it is still somewhere between the factory and Tucson, but no one knows where. Although they do know that it is NOT being held up for quality issues.

He told me the new Vues were coming through with the non-leather wrapped steering wheels due to quality control issues with the leather wrapping. The leather seems to be peeling up from the area when the air bag cover meets the outer rim. The decision was made to use the non-leather wheels while the quality issue was dealt with. They are also taking $100 off the price for a non-leather steering wheel (it's marked right on the sticker with the deduction). Guess I'll have to start looking for some kind of steering wheel wrap. I had the Saturn one that stretched over the wheel on my 03 and 04 Vues. They both worked pretty well, except you would get dust and whatever on your cloths as you hit the wheel getting in and out of the car.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
MilwaukeeMike
MilwaukeeMike is on a distinguished road

Default Re: XR Leather Wrapped Steering Wheels

Wow, didn't you order that in late April? It's already been 8+ weeks...

We've decided to order a Ruby Red XR in a couple of weeks. We're waiting to see if any lower GMAC financing surfaces next week. I hope they've already dealt with the leather issue by the time ours rolls down the line!

As an aside, it's hard to believe they can't track the whereabouts of the vehicle. Then again, the dealerships around here don't have any brochures, and most of the salespeople don't even know to check the GM Online Order/Update site. I've asked the local internet sales manager numerous times if any dealerships have ordered any Ruby Reds for reference (we'd like to see one in person before ordering one), and she keeps telling me it's a "late availability" color, which was initially true, but became available in late May.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MilwaukeeMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MilwaukeeMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerec130 View Post
I was at my Saturn dealer yesterday trying to find out where my new orange Vue was. Based on their info, it is still somewhere between the factory and Tucson, but no one knows where. Although they do know that it is NOT being held up for quality issues.

He told me the new Vues were coming through with the non-leather wrapped steering wheels due to quality control issues with the leather wrapping. The leather seems to be peeling up from the area when the air bag cover meets the outer rim. The decision was made to use the non-leather wheels while the quality issue was dealt with. They are also taking $100 off the price for a non-leather steering wheel (it's marked right on the sticker with the deduction). Guess I'll have to start looking for some kind of steering wheel wrap. I had the Saturn one that stretched over the wheel on my 03 and 04 Vues. They both worked pretty well, except you would get dust and whatever on your cloths as you hit the wheel getting in and out of the car.

Homer
Hecho en Mexico? I'd make a deal with the dealer to get your leather steering wheel, otherwise you're going to regret keeping the plastic steering wheel later...

Good choice on the orange!

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I put my deposit down on an inbound in April. The vehicle was manufatured on May 22nd and put into the shipping que on May 23rd. It shows that it has shipped, but they don't have a date on it. My dealer said they were still waiting for some vehicles that were made before mine, and had received several that were made after mine. Some of the vehicles on the lot have the shipping stickers in the window. He has some stickers for vehicles they haven't received yet, and some for those they already sold. I have a feeling that it may be sitting up in the rail yard up in the Phoenix area. I have a friend that delivers cars and he is saying their is a real bad backup there. When I was giving my dealr a hard time yesterday, we were talking about shifting the order to the next orange one that came in that was similar to what I had requested. I think the only real upgrade was the US9 radio.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Hecho en Mexico?
A mistake such as this sounds to be is clearly an engineering / design issue back at home base, not to be blamed on the Mexican workers. Insufficient product and manufacturing validation are to blame.

I'll venture an educated guess that it's a problem related to an adhesive that requires a minimum airborne moisture content as a catalyst in order to activate properly. Works OK in US or Europe when developed, when process is later moved to drier climate such as in higher altitude parts of Mexico, such adhesives don't work correctly. Been there, done that.

Free advice to fix this one to anybody from GM who might be listening.

Hecho en Los Estados Unidos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
A mistake such as this sounds to be is clearly an engineering / design issue back at home base, not to be blamed on the Mexican workers. Insufficient product and manufacturing validation are to blame.
Yea, the steering wheel is probably made in China.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
06VRL
06VRL is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE Red Line

Since the Red Line has the leather steering wheel standard, do you suppose, this is what's holding up being able to order one of them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06VRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06VRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06VRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VRL View Post
Since the Red Line has the leather steering wheel standard, do you suppose, this is what's holding up being able to order one of them?
Nah--the XR is supposed to have a standard leather wrapped steering wheel as well. Plus, the one of the few options some of the early XEs are coming with is the Preferred Package which is supposed to have a leather wrapped wheel as well.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

The Norfolk VA Airport Hertz had two orange 2008 VUEs over the 4th of July weekend and the Philadelphia PA Airport Hertz had one orange 2008 VUE yesterday. You'd think they'd fill end user consumer orders first before they blow them out to fleet buyers. (Fleet buyers pay a lot less.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
silverION1
silverION1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I saw a leather wrapped wheel on a model in a showroom, and it was pretty clear what the issue was.

I should've snapped a pic with my phone, because it's kinda hard to describe without one, but I'll give it a shot.

What appears to be the problem is something to do with the way the leather is cut for the corners. As mentioned above, its most noticeable on the side that butts up against the horn/airbag. It looks like the cut for the corner seams come out too far, so they are in view. It almost looks like the corners on the leather got nipped off. It looked pretty crappy.

So thats the best description I can give of what I saw, maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and can better explain it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverION1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverION1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

When I picked up my 08 XR last Thursday (finally) it had the leather wrap on the steering wheel. My Vue was made on May 22nd, so I don't know where it really fit into the lineup with the Vues that were shipped with the plain steering wheels. The wrapping on the wheel looks fine to me, but I can see the area where the problem could occur.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
LWC
LWC is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Nothing wrong with mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LWC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LWC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
kpauley
kpauley is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

I can confirm this problem. My wife and I decided to buy a Techno Gray XE today. We were looking at one that was a different color first, it had the Preferred Package which includes the leather wheel. The fit on the leather was one of the first things I noticed, it's right where I would put my right thumb, felt real loose didn't seem right. We looked at some of the other ones they had, not all of them had the issue, but some did.

They ended up not having the color we wanted (Techno Gray) so they are bringing that in from another dealer. This one has the Preferred Package listed on the invoice, but there is a line code on the invoice "R6I Unit produced without leather wrapped steering wheel" and a $100 credit off MSRP.

Asked if we could get it later, dealer didn't have a clue as to what it would cost and he also apparently did not know this was a quality issue...

Ken
08 Techno Gray coming tomorrow...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kpauley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kpauley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
smashf18
smashf18 is on a distinguished road

Don't know if the dealer just isn't getting the information or not, but as of my conversation this afternoon regarding my XR on order, they said everything is still as originally planned. Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smashf18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smashf18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smashf18 is offline   Reply With Quote