SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
VinceL
VinceL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Question Front passenger seat airbag sensor

I thought I had seen a thread on this topic, but I couldn't find it by searching. So, if I'm repeating a thread, could someone give me a link.

I have noticed that quite frequently that if one of my daughters is sitting in the front passenger seat, the dash indicates that the passenger air bag is OFF.

My daughters are 20 and 23, both a bit over a hundred pounds. I've asked them to shift their weight around on the seat, but that didn't do anything. A couple of times, I shut the engine off, then restarted it and the airbag sensor turned on. But, this doesn't resolve the issue every time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I know there was a TSB for airbags in the Outlook, but from what I read, I don't believe it is related to sensing the presence of a passenger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VinceL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VinceL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Ed Suski
Ed Suski is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Front passenger seat airbag sensor

I have had the same problem with a 130 lb passanger. I wonder if it has anything to do with remote start (no one in the seat when the car is started)? The manual has a few sentances about this and how to get it to turn on, but I don't recall it well enough to repeat here.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ed Suski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ed Suski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ed Suski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

If your daughters are small-statured I would almost consider it a blessing that the airbag is deactivated.

It's been well-documented that airbags can kill people below a certain height and weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
If your daughters are small-statured I would almost consider it a blessing that the airbag is deactivated.

It's been well-documented that airbags can kill people below a certain height and weight.
While I agree that the safest place for small people is either in the back seat or as far away from the airbag as you can get, so-called "second generation" airbags are much safer in this regard.

For the OP: My 65lb daughter doesn't trigger my seat sensor, but my 85lb son does. If he shifts around he can get the sensor to go back to "no passenger", but not reliably. I have the leather seats. Maybe your sensor is improperly positioned or improperly tuned?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
puckalicious
puckalicious is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This statement is irresponsible and misleading. I'm not attacking you, but your message.

When airbags were first introduced they were usually over-powered, and yes were probably responsible for a number of injuries that would not have been received if the airbag was not present. As to your claim of causing death, you provide no references, but you are correct. But you fail to mention that the vast majority of fatalities happened due to improper use, which primarily means sitting so close to the airbag that it doesn't have enough room to fully deploy, or because safety belts were not worn.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) enacted advanced airbag requirements beginning in 2003 to "depower" airbags and make them safer for children and adults even when sitting too close to the airbag. The first phase of these new requirements were in full effect starting with the 2007 model year of all cars & light trucks sold in the US. Most OEM's fully met the requirements before the 2007 model year.

What this means is that front seat passengers are much safer now than ever before when properly belted AND have an airbag deployed. So for those of you with small adults (or large children over 6) that do not have the passenger airbag enabled, I would highly recommend asking your dealer if there is anything they can do to fix it, but most likely they won't be able to do anything about it.

Since new vehicles now are required to have this passenger airbag suppression feature, you should make sure this feature works properly for members of your family BEFORE purchasing.

Some vehicles actually allow the passenger airbag to deploy even when toddlers or larger children are present because they contain a new airbag technology that is safe enough to not cause serious injury to them if they are too close to the airbag. But you should always have children in child restraints in the rear seat, accident statistics show the rear seat is much safer. More and more vehicles will opt to have this technology in the future, but it is not a requirement. In fact, it's a safe bet the Outlook & Acadia will have this technology soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to puckalicious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help puckalicious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
puckalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Fair enough. I hear and accept what you're saying.

However, if these new generation airbags are so much "safer", why are there still numerous warnings NOT to put children and/or small adults in the front seats?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
puckalicious
puckalicious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fair enough. I hear and accept what you're saying.

However, if these new generation airbags are so much "safer", why are there still numerous warnings NOT to put children and/or small adults in the front seats?
Mainly due to litigation concerns. Even when a life is saved by an airbag, people sue the OEM because of a skin abrasion or eye injury.

And what I stated in my first post about accident statistics - a passenger is safer in the rear seat than the front seat. This has nothing to do with airbags, just that the types of crashes observed on average are more dangerous to front occupants.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to puckalicious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help puckalicious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
puckalicious is offline   Reply With Quote