SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
04RedlineMike
04RedlineMike is on a distinguished road

Question Cold air intake or Short Ram intake

I have a 2004 Ion redline and was wondering if anyone could help me out on if i should go with a cold air intake or a short ram intake and what im looking at with hp gains and what not??? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04RedlineMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04RedlineMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04RedlineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Cold air intake or Short Ram intake

Cold........................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
kdb176
kdb176 is on a distinguished road

On that note, I don't suppose GM has come out with one, particularly one that will not suck water.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kdb176's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kdb176 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kdb176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

On that note I don't believe GM has come out with any intakes. Now there are a number of aftermarket companies that have. With a little mod you can make it a non water sucker.

CLICK LINK

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...t//ppuser/2568

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
kdb176

It'll still void the warranty though, won't it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kdb176 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Will an intake void the warranty..............NO................ this has been talked about 1000's of times since I came to this website. Do a search and read.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #7
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

in short: only if the intake causes the (or a) problem will it void your warranty

If you have a CAI & you run your car thru a puddle/small lake & the engine hydrolocks (seizes).....you're screwed & it's your problem

But if your right rear spring breaks or your CD player jams (something random) & you have a CAI.....that's totally unrelated & the CAI didn't make the spring break or the CD player jam......your warranty is fine.

2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrdrdan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
kdb176

On that note, I sent an email to K&N regarding the warranty. They said that they have no documentation either way about dealer's voiding the warranty, but they will back you up if it happens. Take that any way you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I'll take it the way Dan (snobrdrdan) puts it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

ha ha ha

Yeah what I said...lol

K&N won't do crap for you if their intake causes a problem....you're on your own

2009 VW GTI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
kdb176

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
ha ha ha

Yeah what I said...lol

K&N won't do crap for you if their intake causes a problem....you're on your own
Anymore, emails are legal documents. I know I'll be happy to sue if they don't follow through.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I'm not trying to argue with you, but what is it that you think they'll actually cover??

If your intake sucks in water because you drove thru a puddle and the intake sucked it up.....K&N won't do anything....they'll tell you it's meant for off-road use or that you shouldn't have driven thru the puddle or something dumb like that

If your intake sucked, I dunno, a pebble and it made it into the heads and damaged something......K&N won't do anything there either....they'll tell you that they can't control that

They only think they'll warranty is "manufacturer defects" for the intake.....like if a coupler cracked on it's own & the intake pipe fell off or the air filter was falling apart.

Like I said before....having the intake won't void your car warranty alone (or at all)......it's only if the intake causes/caused the problem on your car that you'll have an issue then.

Let's say a CEL (check engine light) comes on & it's because of the MAF sensor due to the CAI.......they might be cool and clear it (but probably not), but it's ultimately because of the CAI that the CEL came on and they won't do anything except tell you that you shouldn't have put on the CAI (otherwise you wouldn't have the CEL)

basically if it ain't broke....don't fix it

2009 VW GTI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
tomvan72
tomvan72 is on a distinguished road

I might be jumping in a bit late but doesn't the redline come with some what of a CAI stock. I look at mine and it picks up air from inside the left front fender completely isolated from the engine compartment. Now of course it does not look aas cool as some of the CAI kits Ive seen available but.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomvan72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomvan72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomvan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #14
kdb176

Eh, not trying to argue with you either, Snobrdrdan. I'm just saying that, as much as I abhor how litigious our society has become, this is an instance where a lawsuit would be justified, and would probably win.

Does the CAI packaging (or documentation in package) say that it isn't for road use? If not, they can't use that in court.

Pulling the "you shouldn't have driven through the puddle" card won't fly in any court either. That's a normal road condition.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm sure that K&N would try not to cover it. I'm just saying that, if moved to it by an unfriendly manufacturer, a consumer could successfully sue for damages in such an instance.

Last edited by kdb176; 07-17-2007 at 09:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72 View Post
I might be jumping in a bit late but doesn't the redline come with some what of a CAI stock. I look at mine and it picks up air from inside the left front fender completely isolated from the engine compartment. Now of course it does not look aas cool as some of the CAI kits Ive seen available but.....
Yep, it's basically is a cold air intake stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #16
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72 View Post
Yeah it's *somewhat* of a cold air intake because it is bringing in cooler air, but the piping is restrictive & the filter is huge/bulky slowing down the air flow and keeps the sound levels down

I made a how-to for how to delete the silencer & get more S/C whine with the stock box (not hard at all though):
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...light=silencer

Also I'm gonna try a AEM DryFlow filter & see if that'll help improve air flow...should be here in a week

Now the Cobalt SS/SC's have a decent stock intake (even more of a "stock CAI" but with straighter plastic piping) and those guys are just putting AEM filters on the end....post #3:
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...alt-ss-sc.html

2009 VW GTI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #17
mytdawg
mytdawg is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

I just put in the K&N drop in filter (after I got the stage 2) and other than the fact that it's a royal Biatch to get the filter in and out, it's fine for my purposes.

It does not "look cool" though. It's never thrown a code either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mytdawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mytdawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mytdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Yeah I'm just going the cheap route & throwing in a AEM DryFlow cone filter (the same one that comes with the AEM Short Ram intake)....which costed me $44

So it'll be the exact same setup minus the shiney upper pipe that connects the box to the throttle body & the couplers....but that costs $180-190

2009 VW GTI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!