SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Outlook "Bumpers" and Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I've been warming up to the Outlook's styling. It doesn't have much of a protruding back bumper. Anyone bumped anything yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckalicious View Post
I have the rear-parking assist (first car with it) and I get scared when I hear the beeping, so I usually leave too much room! First beep seems to give about 4 feet of clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
Nope. Not with the ultrasonic rear parking assist. I wait until 3 lights and then some more and I still have a foot a space. It's great.
The URPA, Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist, saved me last week. I was backing into a parking space where there were bushes growing almost up to the pavement. I wasn't too concerned about hitting some bushes, so I wasn't paying much attention to the URPA lights. But when the thing started beeping continuously with the lights flashing, it startled me and I stopped at once, and set the parking brake. Good thing! As I got out, I saw there was a telephone pole in the bushes, just over an inch from the left rear of my Outlook. It was SO close that another guy remarked on how close I'd come and how "lucky" I'd been when he saw it later in the day.

I hadn't remembered that it was supposed to beep and flash continuously, so I decided to do some checking to see what distances it actually detects and how closely it matches what the book says.

The Owner's Manual says the first light comes on at 40 inches to 8 feet, the second light comes on at 23 to 40 inches, and the third, red light comes on at 12 to 23 inches. When the distance is under 12 inches, all three lights flash and a beeping sounds continuously. It also says that objects are detected if they are at least 10 inches off the ground.

I set up a plastic five gallon bucket as a target and found that the URPA didn't detect it, even though the bucket is well over the theoretical 10 inch height required (it is about 14 1/2" tall). So I set the bucket on an upside-down second five gallon bucket, for a total target height of about 29 inches, and that worked fine.

I did several measurements for each light (the scientist in me). First light: 43", 40", 43", 78", 50". Second light: 38", 38", 36". Third light: 22 1/2", 22", 21 1/2". Continuous beep and flash all three lights: 9 1/2", 7 1/2", 9 1/2". Thinking that the shape of the target might matter, I replaced the upper bucket with a square plastic bucket with some tools in it and did a couple more measurements. The first light came on at 89 1/2" and the beeping/flashing started at 11", both farther than any of the corresponding measurements with the round target bucket.
Three things seem noteworthy:
1) Your results may vary quite a bit, particularly for the first light, partly depending on the nature of the target.
2) Not all objects taller than 10 inches are detected.
3) ALL of the distances match closely what it says in the Owner's Manual.

Some other things I noticed: 1) All three lights come on for a moment when you shift into Reverse. 2) Sometimes when you put the car in gear with an object close to the rear of the Outlook, the dashboard display says "PARK ASSIST OFF." 3) The URPA doesn't work when you think you are in reverse if you are actually in Neutral. (Hmmm, imagine that.) 4) The Outlook won't drive forward with its parking brake set. (Go figure.) 5) The Outlook is a really nice-looking vehicle. 6) The front of the Outlook is even less bumper-protected than the rear (why don't they put ultrasonic sensors there too!)

Last edited by BrightOutlook; 06-09-2007 at 10:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrightOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrightOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Outlook "Bumpers" and Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist,

It would be a good idea to put parking sensors in front as well. You should suggest that. Since you can now get rear parking assist on the XE models as well, they could make front parking assist come with the rear parking assist on XR models, so it's still distinguished.

Good write-up!

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

It's not unheard of to have sensors in front. Our Sienna had a sensor in each corner of the front bumper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Pappa John
Pappa John is on a distinguished road

The URPA is great except, with the warning lights in the middle of the roof (second row seats), I can't see the lights unless I look down in the rear view mirror. In fact, I don't even look until the chime goes off. Why doesn't Saturn (GM actually) move the warning lights to the rear hatch opening where the roof is lower so we can see the lights immediately? Could save a bumper or even a life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pappa John's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pappa John reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pappa John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Ed Suski
Ed Suski is on a distinguished road

My wife has some of the same problems seeing the parking assist lights and if the DVD screen is down - forget it. The Outlook really needs a rear view camera. I think it is getting one for 2008. Has anyone been able to successfully install a rear view camera in a 2007 and utilize the nav screen for the image?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ed Suski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ed Suski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ed Suski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa John View Post
The URPA is great except, with the warning lights in the middle of the roof (second row seats), I can't see the lights unless I look down in the rear view mirror. In fact, I don't even look until the chime goes off.
I would never depend solely on the mirrors when backing up ever, I think that is too dangerous. I agree that the visibility out the back of these cars is an issue, and I love that they provide the backup sensors, but nothing beats walking out behind your car before you back up and then making sure your head is turned in the right direction. You should always have your face pointing in the direction your car is moving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
I would never depend solely on the mirrors when backing up ever, I think that is too dangerous. I agree that the visibility out the back of these cars is an issue, and I love that they provide the backup sensors, but nothing beats walking out behind your car before you back up and then making sure your head is turned in the right direction. You should always have your face pointing in the direction your car is moving.
The UPA is great. It's better than a camera. A camera will let you see exacty what is behind you, but how do you judge the distance? I couldn't back up safely to park against a wall with a camera. I could see if there was anything between me and the wall, but I can't judge the exact distance.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Ed Suski

Yes, but you must remember that the UPA can not see anything below 10 inches. Bikes, Razors, and even pets and small children can be invisible to the UPA. The Outlook, as great as it is, has a serious blind spot directly behind the vehicle that can not be seen in the side mirrors or by looking directly back over your shoulder. Forget about it if the DVD screen is down. This car could really use a rear view camera. I would like to have one installed.

Has anyone installed a rear view camera on an Outlook?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ed Suski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Suski View Post
Yes, but you must remember that the UPA can not see anything below 10 inches. Bikes, Razors, and even pets and small children can be invisible to the UPA. The Outlook, as great as it is, has a serious blind spot directly behind the vehicle that can not be seen in the side mirrors or by looking directly back over your shoulder. Forget about it if the DVD screen is down. This car could really use a rear view camera. I would like to have one installed.

Has anyone installed a rear view camera on an Outlook?

Ed
If the DVD screen is down, push it up. I wouldn't mind a backup camera, but NOT if it is a substitute for the backup sensors. If you can have both, I'm okay with it. If it's a choice of one or the other, I'd pick the back-up sensors. Drivers have to back up to move in and out of parking spaces every single day, sometimes multiple times a day. How often might we be somewhere that we fear backing up over something less than 10 inches high? For me, that situation might happen once every few months. I'm worried more about backing up into another vehicle or hitting a wall while parking. I have to park several times a day.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Ed Suski

Plainsmen,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you do not have kids . But really, I agree that both are essential today. I love having the parking assist, especially when I'm not paying enough attention to what I am doing. I do wish it started making warning noise sooner and increased in intensity as I got closer to an object though. I installed one on the wife's previous car that read off distance in a pleasant voice and changed to an urgent tone when you got closer than 12 - 18 inches. It could become a little annoying, but she never hit anything after it was installed.

Still the best of both worlds would be both. The wife has already run over a Razor. Can the bikes or a Fusions (Razor like toys) be far off?

Let me know if anyone has gotten a rear view camera to work.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!