SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
HamBone
HamBone is on a distinguished road

Default Power steering outage?

Yeah, I have an issue with my ION3 QC. The power steering light comes on, the car beeps at me, and the power steering is lost. It started out only happening once every 180 days or so. Now its 4 times a day. I have to turn the key to off, open the door, then close the door and restart the car to reset the power steering. Then it works untill the next outage. Any ideas? There is a TSB, baus as far as I can see, it talks about blowing a fuse when jumping a car. Mine goes in and out. Could I have one fuse out?
. Thanks HB

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HamBone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HamBone is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
blk06RXC
blk06RXC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Power steering outage?

Hello,
I had this same problem with my 06 Ion 2. Fortunately mine was under warranty still, so I took it back to the dealership and they fixed it free. First they replaced the fuse, then they tightened the fuse box and neither of these worked. The third time I took it to them, they found it was a short somewhere inside the power steering motor. They had to replace the motor for the power steering. After that I have not had anything happen. If your car is one of the '06, then it might be the same problem. This problem is how I found this discussion forum, and I also found out that if it seems to be taking far too long to fix the problem, then ask to have a Saturn Field Engineer take a look at your car. Best luck to you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blk06RXC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blk06RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
HamBone

Thank you for your story. My ION is out of warranty. I guess thats part of car owenership. This is the first issue that I have had with my 04 QC so I guess that pretty good. Im at 85K and have replaced tires and brakes. I wonder what the motor costs

Thanks HeyMo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HamBone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #4
blk06RXC
blk06RXC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Unfortunately I dont think its cheap.
I would try to tighten the fuse box first. If you havent needed to replace the fuses, then it might be something other than a short in the motor. If tightening the fuse box doesnt work for you, then I would say get it checked into. I know of nothing else the labor cost of replacing the motor is fairly expensive...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blk06RXC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blk06RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
jignha
jignha is on a distinguished road

You could also check to make sure the power steering fluid is full.

2005 Ion Quad Coupe 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jignha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jignha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jignha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #6
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignha View Post
You could also check to make sure the power steering fluid is full.

huh? I think you're looking at the wrong car. Ions have no power steering fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
danwhitney
danwhitney is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
huh? I think you're looking at the wrong car. Ions have no power steering fluid.
I think he was joking

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danwhitney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danwhitney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Thats the ticket................check the power steering fluid. If thats not it check to see if you have a chrome muffler bearing. You can adjust either with a left handed monkey wrench.

Let me see, if I were having problesm with something on my car that I have no idea how to repair, I'd take it to the people that do. What a HamBone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
HamBone

Thats why I was posting. I thought you guys might know. Going to the dealer is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post

Let me see, if I were having problesm with something on my car that I have no idea how to repair, I'd take it to the people that do. What a HamBone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!