SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
roger46982
roger46982 is on a distinguished road

Default Changing front wheel bearings

How do I do this, replaced front brake pads and don't see how to change bearings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roger46982's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roger46982 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roger46982 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: Changing front wheel bearings

The axle nut will need to be removed. You will want to do that as the first step unless you have an air gun that can pull the nut off. From there the brakes will need to come off. hen look on the inside of the steering knuckle. There will be three bolts. These are what holds the bearing in, apart from rust. Remove the bolts and the bearing will come out, in theory. It may be rusted in place and fight you out.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
munsonator008
munsonator008 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

take your caliper an bracket off, remove your rotor, 3 bolts on the inside of the knuckle, a 34 or 36mm nut for the axle shaft, get an impact gun for the axle shaft and get a air hammer for removing the bearing from the knuckle and punching the axle shaft loose from the bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to munsonator008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help munsonator008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
munsonator008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

1. Raise and support the vehicle
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly
  3. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut
  4. Without disconnecting the hydraulic brake flex hose, remove and support the front brake caliper and bracket as an assembly, and remove the front brake rotor
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor jumper, if equipped with ABS
  6. Release the wheel speed sensor jumper connector from the harness retaining bracket on the strut, if equipped with ABS
  7. Remove the 3 wheel bearing/hub assembly mounting bolts
  8. Remove the wheel bearing/hub assembly and spacer (1) from the steering knuckle and wheel drive shaft
Attached Images
File Type: gif ionfronthubremoval.gif (26.6 KB, 450 views)

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
my05ion
my05ion is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Before you get too far into this, remember that these are sealed for life, not intended to ever be serviced like the old style.

Are you having problems with a bearing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to my05ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help my05ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
my05ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
roger46982
roger46982 is on a distinguished road

It has a loud "rumbling" noise in the front end, just taking it for granted it is a wheelbearing. Any thoughts on what else it could be? I repoed the car and really don't have any idea of it's history.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roger46982's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roger46982 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roger46982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
guitarzan
guitarzan is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

This was my 1st hit in a google search for "How to replace saturn vue front wheel bearing". I know it's old but just wanted to share that it's still used. I'm about to attempt this on my 2003 6cyl AWD Vue. I hate ABS breaks. every time they engage I feel like I'm out of control. Can I use non ABS wheel bearings in my ABS vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guitarzan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guitarzan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guitarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You can do whatever you want. Just keep in mind if you don't change out all 4 hubs at the same time, the abs, if it were to kick in, would leave you in even less control. What problems are you having under abs braking? Your abs should almost never kick in, and should not adversely effect handling. If it is, you probably have a problem somewhere.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

IMO, Probably thinking of those Panic Stops where the ABS kicks in and the vehicle's tires already don't have a chance. Think going downhill with Ice/Snow and an intersection at the bottom. You're effectively sliding and ABS is pulsing to keep the tires rolling. So you've got potential traction while attempting steering/braking/evasive actions.

Not having ABS just means you've got more to worry/think about in said conditions.

Drive for Conditions and you'll be OK. But keep ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Know this about ABS: On snow and ice they are a life saver. On dry and wet roads, non ABS is safer. Learn to drive with ABS engaged/not engaged in all conditions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
raven_nevermore
raven_nevermore has a spectacular aura aboutraven_nevermore has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
2001 SC2

Hey everyone,

I need to replace the wheel hub/bearing assembly in my 98 SC2. The Haynes manual says to not even try it, but the guy at autozone made it sound as easy as you guys did.

Is there something I'm missing? Also, should I be putting grease on anything in the event I go ahead and make the repair myself.

1998 SC2 = 139,000 miles Auto "Battle Bot"
2001 SC2 = 219,000 miles 5 Speed "Bertha"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raven_nevermore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raven_nevermore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raven_nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
Know this about ABS: On snow and ice they are a life saver. On dry and wet roads, non ABS is safer. Learn to drive with ABS engaged/not engaged in all conditions!

As a rule it's never a good idea to be in an uncontrolled skid... which can happen more often with a Non-ABS vehicle then one equipped with ABS.

Not to start a "war" here... but non-ABS "safer" on dry/wet roads? I don't think so. IF ABS is detecting your wheels are "locked" up on a Wet road... Well I don't think you'll find a single Tire Manufacturer suggesting vehicle control while Hydroplaning is ever "better" with a Locked up tire(s). They'd probably suggest that the "contact patch" (Rubber hitting the road) on even the worst bald tire is better if the tire is rolling, and still "pushing" water out of the way as it attempts to reacquire contact with the road. The alternative is you're hydroplaning (and lets face it if you're locked up AND Hydroplaning... it's probably too late to you start "pumping" the brakes...when you realize the vehicle is in trouble. Well OK start "pumping" but you've already lost who knows how much road your ABS could have used for a more "controlled" stop.)

Basically the same goes for the Dry Pavement. Once your tires are skidding along... you've got NOTHING going for you until the tires are rolling again. ABS should restore/avoid that issue altogether.

All that said I'll agree with your basic suggestion to learn how to drive with ABS Engaged or Not, basically not. If everyone drives as if they didn't have ABS (accepting that they still "pump" (Non-ABS), and "firmly press" (ABS) Brakes) they'd drive safer considering they're hopefully trying to avoid all possible complications. Good idea for any driver on the road. Drive it like you don't got any safety/convenience features at all and you're trying not to crack those eggs on the Foot Pedals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Abs is always a good thing, traction control not so much.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
As a rule it's never a good idea to be in an uncontrolled skid... which can happen more often with a Non-ABS vehicle then one equipped with ABS.

Not to start a "war" here... but non-ABS "safer" on dry/wet roads? I don't think so. IF ABS is detecting your wheels are "locked" up on a Wet road... Well I don't think you'll find a single Tire Manufacturer suggesting vehicle control while Hydroplaning is ever "better" with a Locked up tire(s). They'd probably suggest that the "contact patch" (Rubber hitting the road) on even the worst bald tire is better if the tire is rolling, and still "pushing" water out of the way as it attempts to reacquire contact with the road. The alternative is you're hydroplaning (and lets face it if you're locked up AND Hydroplaning... it's probably too late to you start "pumping" the brakes...when you realize the vehicle is in trouble. Well OK start "pumping" but you've already lost who knows how much road your ABS could have used for a more "controlled" stop.)

Basically the same goes for the Dry Pavement. Once your tires are skidding along... you've got NOTHING going for you until the tires are rolling again. ABS should restore/avoid that issue altogether.

All that said I'll agree with your basic suggestion to learn how to drive with ABS Engaged or Not, basically not. If everyone drives as if they didn't have ABS (accepting that they still "pump" (Non-ABS), and "firmly press" (ABS) Brakes) they'd drive safer considering they're hopefully trying to avoid all possible complications. Good idea for any driver on the road. Drive it like you don't got any safety/convenience features at all and you're trying not to crack those eggs on the Foot Pedals.
Look up the studies!!! ABS just does not work that well on dry and wet roads roads! I did my research!

For example:
As expected, the truck's braking was less than impressive. But what we didn't expect was that the truck seemed to stop better under threshold braking - in this case keeping the ABS from activating - than it did on a full ABS stop.

You shouldn't go spouting off when you don't know what you are talking about!! This is one example of ltterally hundreds, even thousands of issues with ABS! Snow and Ice is what ABS was designed for and it is extremely different than dry/wet roads! Idiot!

Last edited by chilipepper1327; 04-03-2013 at 11:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Abs is always a good thing, traction control not so much.
Don't know about that... Had a rather good use for it driving Up North a Couple Months ago. Had some "Black Ice" (Invisible Ice... Light Snow Dusting the Highway) issues which was taking out a good number of people along the way. Since I had my Winter Tires On and was traveling at what I though was a "reasonable" 35 MPH I figured I'd be safe. (Posted 65... It was one of those "Black Ice" situations that didn't look bad and you'd laugh/wonder how crazy fast those idiots ahead of you must have been going 70-75... but I suppose a lot of people were trying 45-55) and TC was alerting me to several spots where it switched to Low Traction. Got me to really pay attention then... Didn't think I'd have any issues... I fear what everyone else with All-Seasons and no TC would have done if they tried to make a move out there. Probably exactly what happened...end up in the ditch since the vehicle didn't alert the driver they were driving too fast and had lost grip on the road and steering would be poor/nonexistent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

In my case, the wheels would slip, then if I was in cruise, the car would retard throttle to eliminate tire spin. If I was driving with my foot on the gas, notice the tires spinning, let off the throttle to eliminate tire spin. It's not rocket science...

Of the 8 winters I've driven in, many blizzards, ice, the tons of snow lake superior dumps just off the coast each year, and the better cold, I've yet to have my throttle pedal get me on trouble. I've ended up in my share of "stuck" scenarios, including snowbanks and just off the road, but never because of the throttle. Matter of fact, just bought my first car ever with tc, and it seems to get in the way more than not.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

Last edited by 2006 ion2; 04-04-2013 at 12:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

If the TC is "getting in the way"... it's probably telling you it's time to switch off the Cruise Control and go back to "foot control" since conditions are worse then you think. Which reminds me of my most common TC "problem" when leaving the Driveway in the morning and driving up a slight incline which is often icy in Winter and I get Low Traction. It's my fault that I'm going too fast for conditions.

Just like how if ABS is engaging the Driver is experiencing conditions that if ABS wasn't working/available would result in lockup. TC tries to avoid Slippage and ABS lockup which together means your Tires are going for best contact with the road.

Knowing how to go "manual" certainly has plenty of advantages but good to have the Vehicle's Computer watching your back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

No, it's not activating in cruise. It's just annoying to hear that whining sound...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

And when you get stuck, you have to turn it off to get unstuck

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
ImissSaturn
ImissSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Information on the socket sizes would be nice. Also if there is a retaining ring or split ring that needs to be removed and the size of split ring pliers needed to remove it. Good information on the need to replace all 4 bearings and not just the front wheel bearings on an ABS vehicle. Nice to not have to pack the bearing with grease as well. That was a mess and I was never sure if I got enough in the bearing.

As for removing the bearing from the hub I have viewed various sets of metal disks and inserts used to drive the bearing out. Video of a hydraulic press and a screw and disk set that pulls and presses the bearing out/into the hub. Knowing the hub can be removed from the knuckle makes it easier to deal with the bearing. I may assemble my own screw and disk press to remove the bearings.

When you start to insert the new bearing apply a little wheel grease to the top edge of the bearing to help it slid in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ImissSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ImissSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ImissSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote