SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Jsolts
Jsolts is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Default My Wet Trunk

One cold winter day in canada i decided to open my trunk and look under the floor board and into my wheel well. What did i find - Rusty jack, tire iron and spare. And 6 inches of water.

Seems that i did not know about the trunk leak issue on the 97 sc's

So i set out to fix this problem, with the help of this forum.

In the cold with my gloves on, i stripped off the side panel, patched the hold with what the "tool" at canadian tire told me would patch the hole, put the panels back on and waited a week. Looked in the trunk, and low and behold More water.

So i waited till spring and began the progess again.
This time when i took the panels off i chissled off all the factory solder and gunk and filled with silicone caulk.

Which i have to say worked very very well. (see pics)

Then i just couldnt get away from that smell in the trunk. So i decided to gut it all down to the metal and rebuild.

Bought a 5'x8' sheet of plywood and proceded to build a new floor. Covered it with carpet. And added some side "hidden compartments."

I think it looks awesome.

Then i added a little fridge into my back seats, where the factory cupholders used to be!

comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1784.jpg (59.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1778.jpg (67.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1987.jpg (65.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1990.jpg (51.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1914.jpg (53.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1916.jpg (59.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1917.jpg (70.1 KB, 59 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jsolts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jsolts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jsolts is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: My Wet Trunk

Good job! I have to fix my leak, but I'm lazy. And my subs are heavy, and I don't feel like taking them out, so I can lay in the trunk and have someone hose it down to find where the leak is. I like the cooler, that's an awesome idea.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
sPuddingTime
sPuddingTime is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

that's a nice looking trunk. although I have to say that white stuff looks like something nasty from the Alien movies.

93 SL2 107k mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sPuddingTime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sPuddingTime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sPuddingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Jsolts

1997 SC1

it goes on white and dries totally clear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jsolts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
Good job! I have to fix my leak, but I'm lazy. And my subs are heavy, and I don't feel like taking them out, so I can lay in the trunk and have someone hose it down to find where the leak is. I like the cooler, that's an awesome idea.
if you got subs in the trunk, you should fix that leak before the leak fixes the subs.

And the cooler plugs in to the cigarette lighter and can either heat or cool

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That cooler is a scream.

Nice job and the flooring will probably be stiffer than the OEM piece that came with the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

My trunks been getting wet on the passenger side too. I tried to take the fender off, but it seems it's bolted to the rear bumper (which I also need to replace) so I decided I'll just leave it that way until I get a new bumper, no sense working that hard 2x.
I kinda think the leak is from the bent trunk lid I put on in November. Didn't know it was bent when I put it on, but it's fairly obvious now.

Cool fix/modificatios too. I might do that sometime...the stock "board" sucks at keeping even a 2liter bottle up, unless the spare tire is there.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Exto
Exto is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1998 SL2

Just to let everyone know, on the cars with sunroofs, there's a drain that runs through the trunk and out through the side panels on both sides just below the torsion spring mounts. If the rubber plug that holds it in place comes loose, it dumps gallons in anytime it rains. Check that first before you gut the whole trunk of your car. (A Saturn tech showed me this one, you really can't see the drain unless you know what you're looking for)

I agree with Henry Ford on automotive color options. I'll paint it any color you like, as long as it's black.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Exto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Exto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Exto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Jsolts

1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exto View Post
Just to let everyone know, on the cars with sunroofs, there's a drain that runs through the trunk and out through the side panels on both sides just below the torsion spring mounts. If the rubber plug that holds it in place comes loose, it dumps gallons in anytime it rains. Check that first before you gut the whole trunk of your car. (A Saturn tech showed me this one, you really can't see the drain unless you know what you're looking for)
i dont have a sunroof - it was leaking from a gap in the metal body

But thanks for the tip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
02SatSC2
02SatSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Ah... I dont like leaks they make stuff explode (electronics in trunk... ).

I like the idea of taking out the carpet in back and making it one flat piece like you did. Looks nice

Plus the cooler looks cool, haha, get it??? cool, cooler, hahahaha, im a silly b1tch. Im just kidding.
Great job though

Use to be rugerSC2, now 02SatSC2
"Live like the word will end tomorrow, Drive like the world will end tomorrow"- Me
2002 Saturn SC2- Daily Driver until I get a real job.

www.StreetDesignAuto.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02SatSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02SatSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02SatSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolts View Post
if you got subs in the trunk, you should fix that leak before the leak fixes the subs.
The subs are against my back seat, and it's just a little damp in the passenger divot toward the lid. Amp is on seatback.

I tried to check the sunroof drain, but it was hard to see. Do I have to take anything apart (besides the carpet) to see it?

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #12
Exto
Exto is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
I tried to check the sunroof drain, but it was hard to see. Do I have to take anything apart (besides the carpet) to see it?
Pull back the carpet, the boot is in a hole just behind the strut tower and below the torsion springs. I'd post a pic, but I can't get one with the phone or the camera. Electronics seem to hate me lately.

I agree with Henry Ford on automotive color options. I'll paint it any color you like, as long as it's black.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Exto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Exto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Exto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 AM   #13
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Pull back the carpet, the boot is in a hole just behind the strut tower and below the torsion springs. I'd post a pic, but I can't get one with the phone or the camera. Electronics seem to hate me lately.
Is there a big rubber cover/plug to hide the hole? I looked in there, but I couldn't see the whole thing, I didn't know if there was somewhere else that had a better view.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
I got a low mileage 2001 sc2. my trunk is in immaculate condition with no rust or water marks anywhere that I can see anyway. I got the factory rubber trunk liner also in place. a tech today showed me that I got a little water in the wells on both sides. I got a sunroof & in the past the rubber hoses came off the sunroof module causing water leaks in the passenger compartment. the hoses were clamped on with steel clamps & the leak stopped.

you mentioned the sunroof drain hoses in the trunk which I will check out, but do you have pics of what your talking about? they come apart there in the trunk & can leak?

maybe the water in the trunk is from the leaking hoses on the module that was repaired a while ago?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote