SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Saturn manual shifter cables sucks! Shifter eyelet came off

This morning I was backing up and I put the car into first and I had no gears at all..I was like what the hell now!..I just replaced the shifter cables 2 months ago..People honking at me and not much I can do at all..So I had to push the car to the side of the street..

I took off the console and I found the eyelet came off of the cable! How can that be? Cables are only 2 months old and the eyelet just comes off like thats bogus and so unreliable..

The design of these cables are so stupid..Why can't they make the eyelet permanent to the cable, instead the eyelet has to be separated and glued to the end of the cable, which is not reliable at all..Theres alot of up and down movement in the shifter as time goes by the eyelet will just come off..This happened to me twice already..

Now only way to to fix it is using JB weld, which didn't work for me last time when my eyelet came off of my orginal shifter cables..Even though I JB weld the eyelet, I still don't feel the cable will be reliable that in no time it will come off again..I just really hate the design of these cables...I just don't trust driving this car with a glued on eyelet that will come off anytime...

I think I am pretty much done with the car..After this incident I really don't want this car anymore..The car runs & shifts excellent and has great mpg but the cables I just can't stand the design and how unreliable they are..And today this cost me my job interview

Does anyone want to buy my 92 SL2 Saturn from me?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Saturn manual shifter cables sucks! Shifter eyelet came off

Are you just talking about the plastic bushing on the shifter end of the cable or are you talking about the eyelet the bushing goes into? If it's the bushing, there are a variety of fixes that are a lot cheaper than the cable. If it's the eyelet, where did you get those cables? I've never heard of one coming off.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

If it's the bushing (doesn't sound it but still..) don't waste your time/money on the parts store one if it looks the same as the P.O.S. I got from NAPA. Just get either of the "upgrades" sold on eBay.

I think you're the only one thats had this problem, that I've heard/seen/read. Do you shift hard all the time or live in a hot/humid climate or something?

Would it be possible to drill a hole through the eyelet and the shaft, then stick some form of pin in there? I know they're kinda thin as it is but it might work if you want to put the effort into it.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

If the cables are only 2 months old you should be able to get them replaced at no charge. Should be some type of warrenty on new cables. I also have never heard of the eyelet breaking. The originial bushing is usually only good for approximately 150k miles depending on how much abuse it gets.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Are you just talking about the plastic bushing on the shifter end of the cable or are you talking about the eyelet the bushing goes into? If it's the bushing, there are a variety of fixes that are a lot cheaper than the cable. If it's the eyelet, where did you get those cables? I've never heard of one coming off.
Yes I am talking about the eyelet that goes onto the bushing..I have the metal bushing...This is the second time that the eyelet came off...I got the shifter cables from ebay two months ago...I compared the 2 before I installed them and they are identical..Only thing is that the cables are made in Taiwain, which I didn't know that until I got them and there was a white sticker on the grommet.

This morning without any warning the eyelet came off..,I just don't get how something like that just comes off like that..Maybe not enough glue to hold the eyelet?..I just really hate the design of the saturn shifter cables..

Right now I put the JB weld quick on it and going to let it sit for half of the day...I am still eiffy if I still want to drive this car..I am afraid the eyelet will come off again..

Having the eye come off twice is to much! And can cause an accident for me.

I don't shift hard at all..I shift normal...I wish I can put some kind of pin at the end but I don't see how that can be..The rod and eyelet is to small to drill a hole in to support both pieces..Drilling the rod will just split it in half due to being to thin.

I can't just don't trust glue or jb weld alone..I wish I can rige something up but I don't see how.

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

Last edited by turbobuick33; 05-24-2007 at 02:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If it's the bushing (doesn't sound it but still..) don't waste your time/money on the parts store one if it looks the same as the P.O.S. I got from NAPA. Just get either of the "upgrades" sold on eBay.
Or the Toyota wiper arm bushing at Advance Auto, 5 for $10. Part# 49448

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I'm not sure you can blame your car, if you got a cheaper Ebay cable set. I've also wondered whether that metal glue on replacement for the bushing is such a good idea. It seems it may be putting extra stress on the cable. Just because the cable appeared the same doesn't make it the same. Do you shift like a gorilla or what?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

I vaguely recall threads in the past about the eyelet coming off the end of the cable core. IIRC, JB Weld or the like got-'er done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

With the JB weld you could drill a 1/16 hole and use a roll or cotter pin for added security.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...ftereyelet.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Well I went to the hardware store I found a small enough drill bit to use.

At first, I wanted to drill through the bottom base of the eyelet through the rod and connect it with a cotter pin, but I was afraid if I drill on the base it might crack because its plastic..

So decided carefully and slowly to drill a hole in the shifter rod close to the end of the eyelet and I secured it with a tie wrap to the eyelet...Now its nice and secure and if the jb weld fails for some reason, the tie wrap is there to back it up...

This is the proper way it should of been made through the factory not just glue by itself. There should be an extra backup of some kind just incase the glue comes apart and your eyelet comes off and now you have no gears and your screwed like I was twice....I am thinking the factory that makes these cables puts some cheap glue on the eyelet to the shifter rod that doesn't hold up for a long time..And I don't shift hard at all...I always granny shift the car.

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

the after market cables are complete junk. They either bend really easily or the eyelet breaks.

Time to suck it up and spend the money on OEM cables. probably $160-$200 from your local dealership, or $125 + shipping from saturnparts.com

You pay a premium for OEM, but its nice to install them and not have to worry about them for another 100k miles.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16 View Post
the after market cables are complete junk. They either bend really easily or the eyelet breaks.

Time to suck it up and spend the money on OEM cables. probably $160-$200 from your local dealership, or $125 + shipping from saturnparts.com

You pay a premium for OEM, but its nice to install them and not have to worry about them for another 100k miles.
i agree with EVERYTHING here. The cables you have are by MotorMite and i've gone through 2 sets of those in LESS than 2 months. I finally bit the bullet and spent $192.90 on the OEM cables and i have no regrets.

If you want, i have another set of shifter cables lying around (the taiwanese ones LOL)

brand new.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

When these thinks broke, did you return them? And when they broke again, did you get your money back?

If you don't, you are not communicating back to the manufacturer that they can't profit from selling crap. And if don't communicate that back to them, they will continue to do so, and we all will have to live with it.

(Even if the price is $1, that's not your cost to get to the store, find it, buy it, install it, remove it, get the replacement, install it, and have it fail again)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
jasonesms
jasonesms is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

u said u have alot of up and down play in the shifter????? u oblonged the bolt maybe just by a short throw shifter 150 bucks and fix it all insted of half the problem or it will happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonesms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonesms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasonesms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Hey I do have useful ideas sometimes

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16 View Post

Are the OEM cables made in the USA? Would you have the link for the cables on saturnparts.com? I was looking on there and couldn't find it.

I emailed the person on ebay that I bought the cables from saying the eyelet broke off and I haven't heard from him yet.

Thanks Andy 95 SL2 but no thanks..I don't want any more taiwain parts...I never new the ones on ebay or motormite are made in taiwain, if I knew I wouldn't have bought them.

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

Last edited by turbobuick33; 05-25-2007 at 11:31 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #17
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

bump^^^^^^^ Well today my shifter eyelet came off again My setup with the tie wrap and jb weld didn't hold up..This week I am going to saturn going to buy the shifter cables..

One other question could the metal bushing be to hard for the shifter eyelet, causing it to come off? I don't shift hard at all..I just don't want the eyelet to come off again after I install the new shifter cables from Saturn..What do you guys think? suggestions?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

Last edited by turbobuick33; 05-27-2007 at 09:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
Cortana
Cortana is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I just replaced my original cables with dealer cables after the shielding ripped out on one of them.

The replacements felt really solid, much like the originals. Your aftermarket cables look significantly shadier than the ones Saturn sells. I noticed the bushings seemed a bit sturdier too, but that's after 80k of wear on the stock ones.

Just make sure you install the replacements properly. I was able to get the new ones on the shifter with a pair of vicegrips, some cardboard, and a small block of plywood. I don't see them coming off any time soon, even if I want them to.

You should be fine with the replacements from saturn. Just be prepared to shell out $200 for them. Installation is straightforward, but the replacement plug has a pressure plate that is installed vs the original rubber pop-in. jack it up and it should go on with minimal abuse if you can get a good hold on the nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cortana's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cortana reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #19
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortana View Post
I just replaced my original cables with dealer cables after the shielding ripped out on one of them.

The replacements felt really solid, much like the originals. Your aftermarket cables look significantly shadier than the ones Saturn sells. I noticed the bushings seemed a bit sturdier too, but that's after 80k of wear on the stock ones.

Just make sure you install the replacements properly. I was able to get the new ones on the shifter with a pair of vicegrips, some cardboard, and a small block of plywood. I don't see them coming off any time soon, even if I want them to.

You should be fine with the replacements from saturn. Just be prepared to shell out $200 for them. Installation is straightforward, but the replacement plug has a pressure plate that is installed vs the original rubber pop-in. jack it up and it should go on with minimal abuse if you can get a good hold on the nuts.
Only thing I am worried about is the metal bushing I installed on the shifter, If I should remove it or not..I am thinking maybe the metal bushing is to hard for the shifter eyelet causing alot of stress on it and when time goes by it will break off again.

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #20
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

This is the metal bushing I am using on my shifter, its the one from ebay..Just wondering if that bushing could put stress on the shifter eyelet?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

Last edited by turbobuick33; 05-28-2007 at 12:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!