SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
dierk017
dierk017 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default 07 aura problems

So, i'm in need of some help cause I'm at whits end with my car cause I cant get anywhere with it. To start with I have a 2007 Saturn Aura with about 70,000 miles on it that I'm getting intermittent Check Engine Light usually a corresponding service Traction light but not always. I started getting a P0174 and would usually trip the light on a deceleration coast like your coming to a light and usually before you get on the brakes but can also occur when i'm on them. Did a little research and tried cleaning MAF and had marginal success would usually go away for a few weeks and come back. I have just a stock dry air filter.
Than I stopped getting the 0174 code and it switched to P0101 now. Still only getting it on the deceleration Coast. Tried cleaning the MAF no luck. Checked for vacuum leaks best I could and couldn't find anything. Tried tapping the MAF no RPM change. From what I see on my code scanner my maf show about 5-7 g/s at idle and goes up with increase of throttle. O2 sensor show good response. I show about 100 KPA on the BARO and I hold steady vacuum. I also tried seeing how it runs when I disconnect the MAF and it made things worse as it screwed up the Transmission computer causing hard shifts and it also set a pending code of P0201. Don't know if either of them are related or one is hiding another problem.

So I don't think the MAF is bad but I dont know. I'm out of Ideas and could use some help. Thanks in advance for any help I also work nights so if i dont respond tell the night I apologize.
dierk017 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
utilizer
utilizer is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Re: 07 aura problems

Do you have a sunroof?
Let me explain the history of this problem in which a recall was never issued.

I purchased my 07 Aura XR that was actually a program car driven by a GM executive through 15k miles back in January 2008. After driving the car for a few months, I noticed a foul smell coming from the air conditioner. It was dissipate after running for a few minutes and after taking it my then-Saturn dealer, I was told there was a technical service bulletin about the smell and they cleaned up vents with that canned substance you see sold at NAPA Auto Parts which I could have easily done.

A month later, the smell came back. In June of that year after we generally get a lot of rain in Georgia, I noticed this sloshing sound in the driver's side door. The door was completely filled with water!!! The weather stripping at the bottom did not meet up with the drain holes so after readjusting that, the water came flowing out. After that, I thought nothing of a water problem at all.

In the past every now and again, I would be bopping along on the highway, then all of a sudden, the CHECK ENGINE and REDUCED ENG PWR messages appeared on the driver information console. The first time it happened early last year in 2009, I pulled over and restarted the car. That didn't make the message go away. I had to do the following to get it to clear:
-Turn off the car
-Open the door
-Close the door
-Restart the car

Then it was good for a few minutes. But again, came right back on. So I took it in for service. They couldn't reproduce the problem and I couldn't either, so the issue was dropped mysteriously. Shortly after that, I had called OnStar numerous times to jumpstart the car for me since the battery was not holding charge for some reason. I finally broke down and purchased a new battery from AutoZone for around $100 with an eight year warranty.

Besides the major brake problems of which I've spent over $800 for already at two dealerships (the former Saturn of Decatur for the front brakes $300 and Jim Ellis Chevy in Chamblee for the rear pads $450), I hadn't had many issues. The lingering smell of A/C had somewhat gone away or maybe I wasn't as bothered by it since owning the car for an extended period of time.

Which brings us to around the early part of this year. The SERVICE AIRBAG LIGHT would periodically come on while I was driving and lately, it was getting worse and worse since my last oil change in June 2010. I figured, I'll mention it the next time I go in for service in late October when the temperature falls in Georgia.

On my way home from work on Tuesday night, I was driving down I-85 and all of the a sudden received several error messages in the DIC:
-SERVICE TRACTION
-ENG PWR REDUCED

The check engine and TC-disabled indicators remained lit.

After getting off at an exit and catching a red light, I did what I did in the past to get full power back:
-Turn off the car
-Open the door
-Close the door
-Restart the car

But guess what? That didn't work at all!
So I limped the rest of the way home on what felt like two-cylinders.

After getting back home, I went back out to the car to check again. The lights were still on but I couldn't hear any thing that sounded mechanically awry.

The next morning, when pulling out of the driveway, I called OnStar for a diagnostics check. They indicated to me that the throttle control module was near failure and I shouldn't be driving the car. I said Jim Ellis is right around the corner for me and took it there for service.

Some of the service personnel transferred from the former Saturn of Decatur and that was a somewhat relief since they know these cars better than anybody. After waiting for about an hour, I was informed I had leak underneath the driver's side panel that was pouring water into the cabin under the carpet. Several electrical control modules were near failure because of the water intrusion. The carpet was pulled up and you could see mold growth all underneath the front seat which might extend to the rear.

The total to fix it? Oh boy, $1,000.

A loaner car was provided and I picked it up Friday. The carpet was dried out but I do not believe the mold was eradicated (I'm checking this on a Saturday afternoon after I finish typing this).

After researching this issue some, the part number in question for the tube extension "25930220" is found in Google for other recalled (Sunroof Water Leak Recall) GM vehicles like the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia.

Go ahead: do a Google search on this.

But NO WHERE IN SIGHT IS THE Saturn Aura.

The other major part was the Module Kit for the Airbag sensors and I believe the throttle control module (Part No. 15780668) at $525.15, just for the part.

I'm livid
So much so I probably won't buy another GM car ever.
Let me clarify, I have no problem with the service I've been provided up to this point. Why should I have to pay for something that is clearly a defect in the design of so many cars in GM's stable?

Granted, GM went through bankruptcy and undoubtedly thinks that because Saturn was discontinued, there have no obligation to "fix" this problem by issuing a recall which is not only absurd, but morally reprehensible.
utilizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
utilizer
utilizer is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Re: 07 aura problems

So after investigating underneath the driver's carpet to see if it was dry and free of mold proved to be neither on both counts as promised. However, I do believe that Jim Ellis did at least stop the water from coming through.

Mold has developed pretty extensively all over the foam. I'm not sure if it extends to the backseat as that seems like a chore to access. But I did check the front passenger side and that was dry as a bone with just a hint of mold near the door.

After cutting thin layers of foam that contained mold, I doused Lysol on both areas after letting the front driver side dry out in the sun for about three hours. I also placed a terry cloth underneath the carpet to let the spray on foam dry completely of all moisture. After putting everything together, I placed another terry cloth underneath the brake/accelerator pedals then washed the car to see if any water entered the cabin. I saw no indicator that it did and that was a relief.
utilizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: 07 aura problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dierk017 View Post
So, i'm in need of some help cause I'm at whits end with my car cause I cant get anywhere with it. To start with I have a 2007 Saturn Aura with about 70,000 miles on it that I'm getting intermittent Check Engine Light usually a corresponding service Traction light but not always. I started getting a P0174 and would usually trip the light on a deceleration coast like your coming to a light and usually before you get on the brakes but can also occur when i'm on them. Did a little research and tried cleaning MAF and had marginal success would usually go away for a few weeks and come back. I have just a stock dry air filter.
Than I stopped getting the 0174 code and it switched to P0101 now. Still only getting it on the deceleration Coast. Tried cleaning the MAF no luck. Checked for vacuum leaks best I could and couldn't find anything. Tried tapping the MAF no RPM change. From what I see on my code scanner my maf show about 5-7 g/s at idle and goes up with increase of throttle. O2 sensor show good response. I show about 100 KPA on the BARO and I hold steady vacuum. I also tried seeing how it runs when I disconnect the MAF and it made things worse as it screwed up the Transmission computer causing hard shifts and it also set a pending code of P0201. Don't know if either of them are related or one is hiding another problem.

So I don't think the MAF is bad but I dont know. I'm out of Ideas and could use some help. Thanks in advance for any help I also work nights so if i dont respond tell the night I apologize.

Here is the codekey website and this is what it describes your codes as:

P0174:
Standard DTCs (ISO 15031-6/SAE J2012): System Too Lean Bank 2

P0101:
Standard DTCs (ISO 15031-6/SAE J2012): Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance

P0201:
Standard DTCs (ISO 15031-6/SAE J2012): Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 1

It appears there may be a fuel / air mixture issue. If your AURA is still under warranty, you might consider letting your dealer troubleshoot it.

Pls. keep us posted.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
3 Rings
3 Rings is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2007 SKY Red Line

The powertrain has a 5 year / 100K Mile warranty. Take it to a SASP (Saturn Authorized Service Provider) and have them take care of it under warranty.
3 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by utilizer View Post
Do you have a sunroof?

After researching this issue some, the part number in question for the tube extension "25930220" is found in Google for other recalled (Sunroof Water Leak Recall) GM vehicles like the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia.

Go ahead: do a Google search on this.

But NO WHERE IN SIGHT IS THE Saturn Aura.
The sunroof recall had nothing to do with the Aura, that's why it's not on there. The problem with the sunroofs in the 07 and 08 Outlook, Enclave and Acadia was due to the drain hose being to short on both the passenger and drivers sides. They would connect but not stay connected. This is not a problem with the Aura's, I know because I have an 08 Aura with no problems and had an 07 Outlook with the problems. No need for a recall on this as what ever problem your having has nothing to do with what we went through. Besides, 70K miles and this is the first time it popped up? Sounds more like you have clogged drain lines causing the water to back up into the car, which is your problem, and not GM.
2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
dierk017

2007 AURA XE

No one had responded for a while so I stopped checking but no my car does not have a sun roof. I recently changed plugs and wires when I changed my oil last week and the so far the code has not returned, replaced with irdium sets. Suspect failing wires assuming I used the volt meter correctly, the resistance was over 1600 on wire 2,4,6( again assuming I had the right setting.) Plugs werent bad but gaps were all over the place some were still good some were .1 off. Plus plugs 2,4,6 were corroded on the outside, so maybe had a effect plus the possible bad wires. Sets 1,3, 5 wires and plugs appear fine. I also cleared the KAM memory.

I've been dealing with the problem the last couple of months and when i just refinanced my car i got an extended warranty and I didnt think it would be good to go in saying ive been having problems so soon so i figure ill let it go as long as it dont come back. Still havent resolved the service traction light but not a real big concern.

Assuming my code scanner is correct, I use an app called Torque on my Motorola droid that connects via bluetooth to a ELM 327 dongle to my obd2 port shows a PID called commanded airfuel ratio and it reports 5.5:1 which is pretty rich and thats under cruise in closed loop using o2 sensor. I had not had the p0201 code pop up prior to pulling the MAF and has not popped up again and it was only set as a pending.

I dont understand why unlpugging the MAF would trigger the P0201 as the computer should only rely on stored values not what its reading off the MAF. Maybe Injector 1 is a bad injector and the computer seeing bank 1 rich leaning off both through long term trim which results in Bank 2 going to lean when trying to correct 1.

What do you guys think??
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
unlukky
unlukky is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like you need a new MAF Sensor. FTW.
John
John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
dierk017

2007 AURA XE

I don't know that it the MAF. The code still hasnt set yet and its been a week. unplugging it doesnt seem to affect the engine tell atleast several minutes. I get between 5-6 g/s at idle and goes up during acceleration. taping on it doesn't seem to affect it. Baro is still accurate too.

I could be wrong but I'm just not convinced that its the MAF yet.