SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Windmill
Windmill is on a distinguished road

Default Clunck when foot is taken off the gas

I have an 04, AWD, 3.5 with 116km. When taken off from a stop and having to slow down by taken the foot off the gas there is a clunk or knock. The same sound is hear when you press the gas to speed up. It is noticable at lower speeds up to 40km. Any idea were this is coming from ?
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Clunck when foot is taken off the gas

In the front, I'd guess it may be CV/bearing assemblies. If in the center, maybe the tranny or the rear carrier bearing? Rear could also be CV joints.

Could also be the heat shielding (on the cat).

Any other info you can provide would help us out here. Otherwise, we are just guessing.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

There are at least two different kinds of noise possible; 1) a 'click' or 'clunk' that you don't feel when getting on and off the gas. This is simply a little play in the transmission/final drive and is of no consequence. 2) a definite 'knock' or 'clunk' that you may feel when getting on and off the gas. this is usually an engine mount problem and may allow exhaust parts to strike the body. This also can be excessive wear in the CV joints in the front axles, and also is of little to no consequence. CV joints are bad when they click on turns.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Motor/transmission mount possibly? But I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having issues with the mounts on thier VUEs.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill View Post
I have an 04, AWD, 3.5 with 116km. When taken off from a stop and having to slow down by taken the foot off the gas there is a clunk or knock. The same sound is hear when you press the gas to speed up. It is noticable at lower speeds up to 40km. Any idea were this is coming from ?
According to service manual it could be drive-shaft u-joints if happening while going straight.

Could be constant velocity joints if it happens while turning.

For that matter it could any of the things the others have recommended.

If you have time and facilities you could remove the propeller (drive) shaft to see if noise disappears.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

The rear drive shaft is under no strain unless the AWD is engaged, so I doubt you would get any clunking from that. Its normally just spinning with little to no resistance. Also, I have noticed the same noise on my wife's FWD VUE and my AWD, so since the FWD doesn't have rear drive, it would tend to reduce emphasis on the propeller shaft joints as the source.
Windmill; if you can let us know where your noise fits in the above categories, maybe it can be identified.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Sounds like the motor mounts to me. My moms old Cavalier engine would rock back and forth when the gas pefal was pressed and released. Had a broken motor mount. Replaced it and all was good..........until she wrecked it
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Fixing something on your wife's car is usually the 'kiss of death' - it almost always gets destroyed or screwed up right after that.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

I guess windwill isn't going to let us know.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
Windmill
Windmill is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The noise is coming form the front. Thank you everyone for your replies.

Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Luma46
Luma46 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I used to have a similar problem/clunk on my previous vehicle, the 95 Nissan Pathfinder. I bought it two years old and it was clunking almost every stop and take off. Friend told me to grease the sleeve/yoke connection on the rear drive propeller shaft and sure enough it did the trick. I had to do it once a year for first two years, then it probably wore itself lose enough that the clunk was gone.
Not sure what kind of a setup Vue has on its propeller shaft, but there has to be some sleeve/yoke connection that might need some lubrication.
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

That reminded me of a service bulletin for the 03 Vue, your problem might be similar:

Clunk Pop or Click Noise when Transitioning Between Acceleration and Deceleration #02-T-52A - (Apr 17, 2003)
Clunk Pop or Click Noise when Transitioning Between Acceleration and Deceleration (Apply retaining compound and replace both axle nuts). Due to the addition of retaining compound, axle nut replacement, and the affected 2003MY vehicles, this bulletin supercedes 02-T-52 which should be discarded.

2002 and 2003 Saturn VUE vehicles
Condition

Some customers may comment about a clunk, pop or click noise coming from the front of the vehicle during transition between acceleration and deceleration.
Cause

This condition may be caused by axle to hub spline movement.
Correction

To correct this condition, remove the axle nuts, apply Loctite 620 Retaining Compound or equivalent to the leading edge of both front axle splines, replace both front axle to knuckle nuts, and torque to 205 Nm (151 lb ft). Refer to the service procedure in this bulletin.
2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote