saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > Classifieds

Old 05-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Hangtime
Hangtime is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default 98 SL2 5spd for sale Portland, OR

Hello,

I had planned to sell this after I finished doing some work to it but I am losing access to the shop and tools I would use. It wouldn't be worth it for me to pay a shop and then sell so seeing if anyone is interested.

I'll start with the bad so if this doesn't interest you it will save you the reading. A couple years ago I had let some family members drive it while their vehicles were in the shop and they ran it out of oil and seized the engine. It has sat in my parents driveway since. It was my spare vehicle as I now drive an OBXT I bought about 5 years ago.

The car has around 205k miles and is otherwise in good condition. I bought a junkyard motor that had 95k miles for $500 to swap and is on an engine stand already washed. The junkyard broke the oil pan so the oil pan needs to be swapped. The one in the car is good though. I already took the splash guards off, the intake, strut tower bar, removed the battery and tray, etc. I already have many of the parts, including a clutch I was going to replace when I had the engine and transmission out. I bought my suby shortly after doing a head job on the Saturn due a burnt exhaust valve. The valves were replaced, head was tanked, all valves seated, etc, by an engine shop. I did the R&R with my dad in his shop who has been a successfully self-employed mechanic for 35 years. Also changed the timing chain, cam gears, tensioner oil pump, and water pump at that time as well. I went back and forth on wanting to swap the head to the donor engine so you could if you wanted along with the fairly new oil pump, water pump, timing set, etc.

As many of you know these cars had plastic valve covers that cracked and warped so I swapped it out to an aluminum one from a 92 and painted it red. The paint peeled so in process for doing the swap I sandblasted and repainted the valve cover.

This is the most expensive Saturn that was sold in the PNW in 1998. My parents custom ordered it and I bought it from them at 145K miles around 2011. It has custom leather, SPC intake (I think it's SPC, the Saturn performance company I think went out of business), strut tower bar, all weather package, and some other goodies. I had the windows tinted, installed an Alpine stereo, and all Alpine speakers, there is dynomat in the doors and trunk lid, and dynaliner in the trunk lid. Poly bushings installed in the done bones, I have NIB rear sway bar end links and NIB poly rear trailing arm bushings. The headliner has been redone due to the sunroof vents clogging so those have all been slit so they don't clog again. I have also took all the rear body panels off and removed all the old body sealant that was cracking and leaking. I cleaned all the seams then resealed them with new automotive body sealer.

In general this is a pretty nice car for it's age and what it is and already has many of the "fixes" done that these cars are known for I just don't have a use for it. I spend to much time driving down back roads. I have an excel spreadsheet with some of the maintenance records, a folder full of the rest, and I believe I have the original build sheet for it. It's technically 2 owner, but one family, we've had this car since day one.

Once I finished the engine swap I had planned to sell it for around $2500. In this condition with parts I'm not certain what it's worth to any of you. But open to have those discussions. It would be nice to have one less project and get some money back that I have spent on parts.

If you have read this far and you happen to have a shop where I can help do the engine swap for a reasonable fee I would be interested in that option as well. I don't really have any pictures of the interior but if you are generally interested I'd be more than happy to share some and answer any questions.

Thanks!

-Clint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4125a.jpg (104.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1613b.jpg (145.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1614b.jpg (121.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3652a.jpg (127.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3646a.jpg (105.9 KB, 10 views)
Hangtime is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #2
Hangtime
Hangtime is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: 98 SL2 5spd for sale Portland, OR

UPDATE:

I am currently doing the engine swap. Should be done and ready for sale next week! I will be going on vacation for a few days after I finish but will take some interior pictures to post as well. Anyone interested?

It's also getting new front control arms as I tore the boots while moving the knuckles to pop the axles out, and a new battery as the old one was dead. I was running a catless downpipe but I have a newer aftermarket downpipe with a highflow cat I'm putting back in with a new downstream o2 sensor.

The seized motor can go with it for spare parts. So you'll have all extra engine sensors, intake and exhaust manifolds, good shape plastic valve cover (x2), throttle body, EGR, catless downpipe, new fel-pro head gasket, etc. I also have a set of studless Blizzaks mounted on steelies with wheel covers that might go with it as well pending agreed on price.

Spare parts go first to the buyer of the car. But I'll sell those if anybody needs something, let me know.

I'd honestly keep it for DD if GM didn't discontinue the brand. Just need it out of the driveway. Make me an offer I can't refuse!
Hangtime is offline   Reply With Quote