SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 07-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Dazed HELP My Ion Key ignition switch/car not starting.

My key ignition switch has been getting harder and harder to get the key to rotate to the start position in my 2004 Saturn ION. This morning I tried to start my car and it acted like the security imobilization was activated. The car has battery power, the car starter cranks, and sometime the engine spits and sputters but its acting like its not getting fuel. I had my Ion towed to a local mechanic shop. My mechanic says its the key ignition switch and to have GM deal with this. I call GM and explain my situation and they inform me that if it is the ignition switch that they will pay for towing the car to the mechanics and pay to have the car towed to my local GM and give me a rental until the ignition switch comes in. I have registerd my VIN # with my local GM 3 weeks ago so they have me and my VIN on file. GM informs me that the ignition switch may not be available for another 3 weeks?

My question is should I have them put me in a rental For 3 weeks? ? What if this is not related to the ignition switch? My mechanic thinks it is? My factory key and my spare aftermarket key will not start my Saturn Ion. What do you guys think I should do? ?

* no check engine lights on.
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: HELP My Ion Key ignition switch/car not starting.

If the lock cylinder is hard to turn they will fix it. also it maybe possible that the dealer will have parts that was ordered for someone else that didn't return for them.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
My question is should I have them put me in a rental For 3 weeks? ? What if this is not related to the ignition switch? My mechanic thinks it is? My factory key and my spare aftermarket key will not start my Saturn Ion. What do you guys think I should do? ?

* no check engine lights on.
Does the Security light blink or stay illuminated if you leave the key in the RUN position after a failed start attempt? If not, it is not a security issue. I'd have the car towed to the GM dealership and take the rental. Let them perform the recall work (which won't cost you anything) and hope for the best.

If the key is just physically hard/stubborn to move to either the ACC or RUN position, you most likely have a worn out key. If this is the problem, it will be fixed with the recall work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
If the lock cylinder is hard to turn they will fix it. also it maybe possible that the dealer will have parts that was ordered for someone else that didn't return for them.
The ignition switch is universal, but the ignition lock cylinder & keys are VIN specific unless the dealership goes through the effort of recamming the lock to a different car/keys. I don't think they are willing to do that. Furthermore, they probably can't repurpose parts for a different car since they were custom ordered for a specific vehicle for a recall.

Happy Independence Day 2014!
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 211K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 85K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 07-04-2014 at 10:59 AM.
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

-No, I don't recall seeing the little yellow security light come on after these " failed start attempts"

-I do agree that once my car is towed to GM that they will "bump me up on the list" due to the fact that my car is not operational and im in a rental. I do agree with that.

-Yes my key was hard to start. Most of the times it took a 1-2 minutes of figgiting my key to get the ignitiin cylinder to turn. The ignition cylinder was becoming a pain in my ASS!

On my 04 Saturn Ion, is there a relearn procedure to deactivate the security, if the security feature is activated? I know on some cars like Nissan you turn the key and hit the brake pedal a few times. I was curious if there is a similar procedure for my Saturn Ion so I can try this over the weekend before I get it towed to my local dealership and recieve my rental. I just wana make sure its not the security feature. I don't want GM to come back and say it was not my key ignition switch And I am left with a HUGE tow bill lol! I have my Sport bike im riding for the weekend. Let me know what you guys think I should do for now. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
-No, I don't recall seeing the little yellow security light come on after these " failed start attempts"

-I do agree that once my car is towed to GM that they will "bump me up on the list" due to the fact that my car is not operational and im in a rental. I do agree with that.

-Yes my key was hard to start. Most of the times it took a 1-2 minutes of figgiting my key to get the ignitiin cylinder to turn. The ignition cylinder was becoming a pain in my ASS!

On my 04 Saturn Ion, is there a relearn procedure to deactivate the security, if the security feature is activated? I know on some cars like Nissan you turn the key and hit the brake pedal a few times. I was curious if there is a similar procedure for my Saturn Ion so I can try this over the weekend before I get it towed to my local dealership and recieve my rental. I just wana make sure its not the security feature. I don't want GM to come back and say it was not my key ignition switch And I am left with a HUGE tow bill lol! I have my Sport bike im riding for the weekend. Let me know what you guys think I should do for now. Thanks!
AFAIK there is no procedure to deactivate the security/Passlock. There may be a relearn procedure that can be performed to re-authenticate the BCM & ECM with each other, but this rarely needs to be performed and I don't think it would benefit you to attempt it.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 211K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 85K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Question Re: HELP My Ion Key ignition switch/car not starting.

Update: I went to me car today (Friday) at 1:30 pm and tried starting it with the factory key and she started right up. No check engine or security code flashing. Hmmmmm

I think my pass lock feature is ****ing with me. This is why I wanted to make sure before I go racking up xxxx amount of days in a rental. What should I do at this point?

Oooops now on the 4th succesful restart of the car it is now not wanting to start?? Its doing the same thing. WTF!

Last edited by ddemier7; 07-04-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 ION-2 Sedan

Fact: The lock cylinder for each car is built to the original key code and the key is also cut to the same code at the dealer.so the new keys will also fit the door lock and the trunk lock
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Update: Saturday I got the car to start and drove it to GM and they gave me a Nissan Sentre rental untill my car is fixed.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Anyone else think I did the right thing?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I think you did. Chevy or the GM dealer has to do the right thing and fix it this time. I know it sucks to have a rent a car. But the need to fix it. I would have done what you did too
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

if GM done the service, it still does not work or is worse than it was before, then its an issue with GM, and you have every right to bring it back to them for them to fix it again.
03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp {sold at 280k miles}
97 f150 4.6 w/ manual and 4wd
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
13 equinox LT 2.4

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I got a white 2014 Nissan Sentre! It has 37 miles... lol im in no hurry to get my Saturn back. Lol!

Is anyone going to join the lawsuit against saturn? Is there any money in it for us saturn owners?
Old 07-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Never heard of a sentre. I'm not jumping to get into a lawsuit.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

the brand new sentres are nice. i almost want to put my ion for recall service just for the rental

why make a lawsuit on a brand that died 4 years ago?
13 equinox LT 2.4

Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Sentra
2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Sentra
yea, thats it lmao
13 equinox LT 2.4

Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
deca5423
deca5423 will become famous soon enoughdeca5423 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sentra? That's odd. My dealership was insistent on putting me in a Chevy. The local rental place was out of Cruzes so they put me in an Impala for 3 weeks

Now I'm onto the next recall for the power steering motor. So if that hasn't been done yet you should bring that up too. Sure they will love it!
deca5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Anyone has word on when ignition keys will be in?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

When gm makes yours. They anticipate repairs will extend into, and possibly past October.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #20
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Im still enjoying my 2014 Nissan Sentre!