SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #21
rdial2
rdial2 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: The joys of parenthood and VTI's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
The torque rating for this transmission, and the torque output of the engine, are so close that it is no wonder(one reason at least) the transmissions fail. Kids being kids, I am sure he drives it harder than you. When this trainy is cold, you will here more noise than once warmed up. My 04 had this tranny and I know it was on it's last legs before it was destroyed.
chili - I got a kick out of the comment about kids. You are correct. I know how hard I was on my mothers car when I started driving close to 25 years ago.

I have a quick question for anyone. I am looking online for a used transmission and I want to make sure the one I need to do the swap 79sc2 mentioned is the A.T., (2.2L opt L61), opt M43 ? I believe the only other transmission is the A.T., (2.2L opt L61), opt M75 (VT) (VT=Variable transmission). If someone can clarify this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
rdial2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdial2 View Post
chili - I got a kick out of the comment about kids. You are correct. I know how hard I was on my mothers car when I started driving close to 25 years ago.

I have a quick question for anyone. I am looking online for a used transmission and I want to make sure the one I need to do the swap 79sc2 mentioned is the A.T., (2.2L opt L61), opt M43 ? I believe the only other transmission is the A.T., (2.2L opt L61), opt M75 (VT) (VT=Variable transmission). If someone can clarify this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Here is the link that should answer all your questions:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130775

The only other thing I can add is to maybe make sure you get the TCM from the car the transmission is coming from as well as the ECM. The have to match as to the engine and transmission because the "talk" to each other.
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

L61 is an engine code, the thread on this topic has all the info you need.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
easttown
easttown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
Here is the link that should answer all your questions:

The only other thing I can add is to maybe make sure you get the TCM from the car the transmission is coming from as well as the ECM. The have to match as to the engine and transmission because the "talk" to each other.
This is wrong info...you need all the wiring from the donor car ,it is all connected to the white fuse block connecter under the plastic fuse box. the wires service the trans and the engine management. DO NOT replace the ecm...just the smaller trans computer..If you replace the ECM,the car will not start. The new TCM will interface the orginal ecm just fine
easttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #25
79sc2
79sc2 is on a distinguished road

Follow the instructions in the thread above. Jeepinwi explains it all. Follow his instructions to the "T", and you'll be just fine. That's what I did, and in three days, I was done. 4K miles since the swap...no problems.
Go for the swap.....it's worth it if your mecahnically inclined, and have access to the tools needed....
79sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
jeepinwi
jeepinwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79sc2 View Post
Follow the instructions in the thread above. Jeepinwi explains it all. Follow his instructions to the "T", and you'll be just fine. That's what I did, and in three days, I was done. 4K miles since the swap...no problems.
Go for the swap.....it's worth it if your mecahnically inclined, and have access to the tools needed....
The ECM does not need to be swapped. Keep the ECM that was originally in your Ion. I have close to 17k miles on my swap now and it is still running great.
jeepinwi is offline   Reply With Quote