SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #141
79sc2
79sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: VTi to AF23 transmission swap

Good luck....

It just sucks swapping out that VTi only to have this happen......

I guess I'm lucky.....no problems....

One more thing....check the pins in the two connectors that go to the computer.

Hopefully they're all straight and not bent-over....
79sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #142
Orion FE
Orion FE is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: VTi to AF23 transmission swap

Sorry so long getting back but the salvage yard I got the AF-23 tranny from, after talking with them, didn't want to take a chance on opening up two transmissions to try and fix one so the valve body was a no-go. They gave me another AF-23 and I installed it this morning (4 hours!). Took the car for a test drive and all problems solved. Turned out to be a bad tranny. Hard to believe that a car than only had 56k on it had a bad tranny. My luck I guess.

I want to say thanks to jeepini and everyone else for the data for the swap. The 2nd time around was a breeze and the car runs/drives like a new one! I've got the 5 speed and the doner car sitting in the garage if I need it but I don't anticipate using it no time soon. I'll probably strip it and send it to ION heaven.

Thanks guys!
Orion FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #143
79sc2

Sweet!!!

Amazing though 56K miles, and a bad transmission....now that's my kinda luck...
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #144
Orion FE

1998 SC2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Happy Re: VTi to AF23 transmission swap

Yeah, that's what I said. It was a lot noiser than this one is too. Must have had a bad shaft in it, leading to a bad o-ring, bypassing pressure during the shift from 2nd to 3rd. Glad that's over with. Car drives like a dream!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #145
jeepinwi
jeepinwi is on a distinguished road

Orion-

Glad to hear the swap was a success...finally. You wouldn't think a tranny would be bad at 56k miles, but stranger things have happened. My AF23 is up to about 24k miles so hopefully it has a long life in front of it still!
jeepinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #146
Orion FE

1998 SC2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yeah, the car must have been hit harder than it looked at the yard, but that's the chance you take when buying salvage. Luckily, I had a great yard that stood by their warranty and gave me a new 90 day on this one. They're awesome! Thanks again to you for providing us with the technical data to make this swap possible.

For those of you thinking about the swap, I highly recommend it. The AF23 is as close to bullet proof as you'll get for a transmission. The VT1 is band driven, like an automatic lawn mower. The faster you go the band gets tighter and eventually they break. I actually had the priveledge of seeing the inside of one, and whomever designed it, needs to be shot! Junk!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #147
Muffhugger
Muffhugger is on a distinguished road

So, I'm just about done with my swap. Everything is bolting up just fine. I ended up taking the motor/trans and sub cradle out the bottom of the car in my garage. My only concern now is the cv axle. Is it imperative to swap the axle with the af23 equiped vehicle? I read the first post an many pages after that. Maybe I missed the details about the cv axle. Can I run the vti or will the axle works its way out of the tranny or worse yet will the boot be under too much stress and rip?

Thanks for the great info guys. Keep up the good work.

Greg
Muffhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #148
jeepinwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwi View Post
Update:

I've managed to get the axle seals sealed. The passenger side seal must have been damaged upon installation. I installed the new seal with the proper tool and used some GM engine sealant around the transmission bore.

I was having an issue with the drivers side axle not staying seated into the transmission. The problem was the small cupped piece in the axle that goes up against the axle seal wasn't allowing the axle to get seated into the transmission. I'm not sure what that cupped piece is for, but the axle is secured and not leaking without it.

Muffhugger-

I reused both axle shafts from the VTi trans. They are both compatible with the AF23 trans. The passenger side simply drives into the transmission until the ring is seated. You shouldn't be able to pull it out easily. The driver's side axle has a cupped piece that hits the oil seal and needs to be removed. Above is post #14 from this thread.

Also FYI, I used a pneumatic hammer to drive the axles into the transmission. It drove it in VERY easily. Air tools are your friend!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #149
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Someone posted this question earlier, but I haven't seen any answer to it. Did anyone find out if the Aisin AF33 from the V6 VUEs has the same bellhousing configuration as the Ion AF23? Also, did it come in a FWD version, or only AWD? I can't remember for the life of me. This would be a great swap for the VUE, as they seem to have a much higher failure rate than the Ions ( or perhaps just a greater number of VTi VUEs were sold than QCs).
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #150
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The vue is heavier, do they fail sooner, both cars will fail at an almost 100% rate. A far as I know, cvts only came in fwd vues, but boone has confirmed nor denied comparability in this thread if the tcu/ecu are compatible, and if the bell housings/drive splines are the same.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #151
Muffhugger
Muffhugger is on a distinguished road

The QC lives again. Start first time with a minimal crank. Now to add fluids and road test. Wish me luck!

The shifter is a little on the sloppy side but thats the least of my worries at this point.
Muffhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #152
79sc2

Just an FYI....take it or leave it..

I re-routed the shift cable around and behind the exhaust pipe and tie-wrapped it to the aluminum sheathing across the firewall and then to the trans....makes it look a little neater, and takes up some of the slack......

Another QC lives again.....schweet!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #153
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

The VTi definitely came in both FWD and AWD on the VUE. I just can't rememberif there was an AWD Aisin trans that you could swap into an AWD VUE with the VTi...

Oddly enough, just had two Aisin transaxles in Ions grenade this week on our customers' cars. They are usually pretty sturdy, but this worries me a bit with regards to using them for a swap...probably a fluke, though
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #154
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I want to meet whoever thought a cvt would be a good idea on an suv, and smack them. Then I want to smack them again (or if it was someone else, them), for putting it in an awd suv.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #155
easttown
easttown is on a distinguished road

We did this swap today...paid $175 for the tranny,$65 for wiring and computer,$15 for used mounts and about $35 in fluid...The whole thing takes about a day,removing the junk VT and installing the 5 spd auto...no lights on,shifts great....you can find the trannys on car-part dot com

BTW...we used the original VT axles,just removed the cup shields at the trans end..works fine..
easttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #156
jeepinwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttown View Post
We did this swap today...paid $175 for the tranny,$65 for wiring and computer,$15 for used mounts and about $35 in fluid...The whole thing takes about a day,removing the junk VT and installing the 5 spd auto...no lights on,shifts great....you can find the trannys on car-part dot com

BTW...we used the original VT axles,just removed the cup shields at the trans end..works fine..
Congrats! Another success story
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #157
The President
The President is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Just want to say that this thread should be stickied somewhere, it saved another Ion from being stripped for parts.

I just finished the swap today, and had trouble with the VTI shifter cable. I tried to adjust it, but I couldn't get it short enough to fit between the mount and the little knob thing. It's easy enough to just use the AF23 shifter cable, and I would recommend grabbing one for anyone considering the swap just in case.

Also, when doing the swap, I'd strongly recommend installing a new transmission input seal as well as the axle shaft seals, because there is nothing less fun then having to do the job twice. While I had the tranny out, I also put in a new rear main oil seal to save trouble down the line.

Lastly, it's nice to have someone to help you do the job. A tranny swap can be done alone, but it saves a lot of headache to have someone else. I was lucky to have an actual mechanic to supplement my ham hands, but really, anyone that speaks the same language as you is useful.

Again, thanks for all the info, and I'll be around when something else breaks.
~ I'm not a mechanic, but I have this whip.
The President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #158
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Welcome to the Forums, The President.

I had an 04 L3 Ion Quad Coupe. It had the Vti and it was going after 140 000kms or so, but it got destroyed before that happened. Now I have an 06 with standard, but the engine mounts suck! and it took a lot of practice getting shifts as smooth as silk. I will replace the mounts once the warmer weather is here. Good luck on your ride and if you need any more infor for help there is a LOT here.
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #159
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

our forum is the only one in the world that doesn't use stickies. even the s series forum on this server uses stickies.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #160
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Must be just an oversite. Hope the mod is watching this thread!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote