SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Today We Give Thanks For....

Today, I would like to send out a very Happy Thanksgiving to our small and regular crowd of Saturn S-Series fans. I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys the celebrations and food.

In the spirit of being Thankful, I would like to take a break from the usual tech threads and troubleshooting. This thread is for why we are thankful for the many great features of our little S-Series.

I'll start with my thanks, for:
Plastic Body Panels

Living in Northeast Ohio, rust and other forms of body damage are often commonplace for most classic and older used vehicles. There is a certain level of personal pride and sigh of relief in knowing that the carbon-fiber fenders, door skins, and quarter panels will always remain corrosion free and can be highly resistant to dings or dents. Not having to worry about utilizing countless hours, each year, to sanding/priming/repainting areas of corroded metal is relaxing.

I can own a sporty little ride, that has the potential to maintain its original showroom finish for well into many years after it is considered to be an antique auto, by merely performing routine maintenance of cleaning and polishing of the exterior finish.

I personally believe that more automakers could benefit from incorporating the polymer body panels, which could reduce depreciation and even allow a used model auto to retain a higher resale value.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Today We Give Thanks For....

I'm thankful for Saturn reliability. We drove the Saturn 4.5 hours to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I am thankful for the spirit and drive of the talented people that dedicated their God-given gifts to create the Saturn brand, concept and design. I have been driving Saturn cars for many years and don't think I could've benefitted so much from any other car.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
God bless America. 🇺🇸

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I'm thankful for Old Nuc. Without him, and others on the board, I would have ditched my 1997 SW2 *long* ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Today We Give Thanks For....

I am thankful for all of you who have and continue to make SaturnFans such an informative and fun place to hang out. It wouldn't be the same without your contributions and participation.

Happy Holidays!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

In accord with:

Saturn Night.

The finish on my "plastic car" looks as shiny as the day I drove it off the lot in 1996.

Waiex191

I also had a reliable drive to Thanksgiving festivities.. 5 1/2 hours (6 1/2 if you count the freeway turned into a parking lot traffic jam, toward the end of my destination lol).

dummo

I think the folks who designed and marketed our cars were the "cream of the crop" ... as are our cars.

hholbein

Old Nuc and a vast army of contributors have made my Saturn ownership, following the closing of the dealerships' doors, much easier to deal with.

Charlie

I'm also thankful for the Saturn "family", here.

One thing unmentioned is:

I'm thankful for Charlie putting up with all the headaches that must go along with keeping a place like this open. Without that, we'd be relegated to "extinct" status instead of a vibrant community of Saturn lovers.

Happy Thanksgiving, all (sorry I'm a day late but my mom's (where I am for the holiday) modem wasn't nearly as reliable as our cars and I didn't get to replace it until today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I'm thankful for Old Nuc. Without him, and others on the board, I would have ditched my 1997 SW2 *long* ago.
I'd second that, the guy has incredible comprehensive knowledge of Saturn's that he's willing to share that I just don't see much on other forums. He probably helps thousands and doesn't even know since many likely read these forums from a Google search and don't have an account or don't want to post.

There are also a lot of other helpful members on this forum and I try to help whenever I have the free time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

I agree. I found this site, from a Google search. I was in the process of bidding on my "Orphan Child" SC2, and wanted to find out as much as could before I bought it. Glad I did, too.

And OldNuc is definitely informative and helpful to everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Dennyj1992
Dennyj1992 has a spectacular aura aboutDennyj1992 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

I'm thankful for this community. The Saturnfans boards, Sixthsphere, and of course, the Facebook boards (quick messaging and answers).

In a world today where everyone is a "mechanic" (let's be honest, does changing the oil once really make you a mechanic ) it's nice to know that some people really DO know their stuff.

Also thankful (considering we are referring to these cars in general) for the polymer panels, cheap parts, short and not-so-extensive labor, and of course, the gas mileage.

Moving on now...Merry Christmas everyone!!!

13' Chevy Spark, 4 speed CVT. Wife's car. 67k.
02' SC2, DOHC, 5 speed M/T. Current DD. 232k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dennyj1992's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dennyj1992 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dennyj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

It's all well and fine to celebrate Thanksgiving here in the forum, however it begs the question:

Does anyone out there remember (and celebrate) what Thanksgiving means? And to whom the "thanks" is to be "given" to?

Or for that matter, merry Christ-mas, not X-mas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2
Happy Re: Today We Give Thanks For....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
It's all well and fine to celebrate Thanksgiving here in the forum, however it begs the question:

Does anyone out there remember (and celebrate) what Thanksgiving means? And to whom the "thanks" is to be "given" to?

Or for that matter, merry Christ-mas, not X-mas.
Yep. It was the very first time that Americans shared their food with undocumented immigrants from Europe.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

^^^^ The Pilgrims gave a thank you banquet in honor of the Indian Olenukko for helping them repair a broken rudder on the Mayflower.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

ha ha, seems like few remember the real history.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 AM   #14
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Since the OP stated:

"This thread is for why we are thankful for the many great features of our little S-Series"

I'm pretty sure that folks limiting their responses to Saturn features is more to stay on topic and less an indication that the true meaning of Thankgiving has been forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote