SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
rbar
rbar is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2001 SC2
Default RING CHECK before installation...

Behind on re-ring schedule, but putting the the pistons back in today. Saturn does things a bit differently, I have found, usually better. Just want to make sure I am putting these rings in correctly:

Question: These rings labeled "std." one one edge, but no "top" or "o" mark like I am accustomed to. Am I to assume that the lettering takes the place of upside markings?
THe first ring appears to be symetrical, but the second ring has the champher on the inside, on apparently the bottom edge if this is the case.

'Just making sure, thanks!

RBar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Re: RING CHECK before installation...

ANybody?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Didn't your rings come with instructions? I used Hastings, which came with instructions.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

nope...
If, for sure, the champhered edge goes down on the second 2 ring, I am good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
Didn't your rings come with instructions? I used Hastings, which came with instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Unfortunately, I dont recall which way they were installed. Surprised someone else hasnt come forward with the info. BTW. Did you drill the holes in the oil control grooves?

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Usually, the chamfer on the lower compression ring is on the bottom (on engines in general, not Saturn specific), but I cannot 100% guarantee that's how it is on S-Series. (Upper compression rings often have a chamfer on the top side, but the upper rings are not directional on S-Series.)

I have always used Hastings rings on Saturns, which have a dimple on top of the directional ring (and instructions on the inside of the box). Double check for instructions and/or call the ring manufacturer if you're still uncertain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Yep, I drilled three 1/16th holes as per OldNuc's direction...after doing it, I saw the reason to put the closer together, any further and they would start running into the inner support for the pin. 5/8th" from the center hole perpenduclar to the wrist pen is about as far as one wants to go...then reamed out, especially side to side.

I called the manufacturer, and the confirmed that the labeling served as the "up" side. They are now installed, and in the block, ready to torque down the rod bearings, and go from there. The engine is in the car, so it will go pretty fast from here on out...if weather permits...I am forced to work outside on this project. Should have it running this weekend if weather permits, head is ready to bolt on.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and, at times, preaching! Thanks!

RBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
Unfortunately, I dont recall which way they were installed. Surprised someone else hasnt come forward with the info. BTW. Did you drill the holes in the oil control grooves?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Do not forget to correctly prime the oil system before starting the engine. Oil the cylinders before installing the head so as to avoid ruining the rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Do not forget to correctly prime the oil system before starting the engine. Oil the cylinders before installing the head so as to avoid ruining the rings.
Will do, good buddy. Primed the oil filter until it would take no more (5w30 on sale at NAPA), The CYLS remained well oiled after the washing down of the cyls, and installation of the pistons...then I added some more. Had to stop at this point. When I get back to it, will wipe out the standing oil and replace to make sure it is absolutely clean. Everything outside the cyls that needs it is coated well with anti-sieze, including new oil pump gears.

WIll bolt on the head today. I will post a question regarding that specifically momentarily....thanks again for everything. My son has gained a LOT of confidence, knowledge, and satisfaction in this project...not to mention saving a wad of cash!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

This covers the oil prime from a full disassemble and rebuild. If you have had the timing cover of the squirting oil into the pump discharge is a good idea. If it is cold out preheating the oil in the pan is going to be required also in most cases. There are several ways to do this but location and conditions dictate which actually works. A fully charged warm battery is also a requirement as the car will not start when cold if the battery is low.

To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement or long term storage perform the following steps.

-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil if this is the initial fill following a rebuild otherwise use 4 quarts of oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.

-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.

-Squirt oil into the square port on the right side of the filter base do this several times until you can not get more oil to stay in it. This will take 4 to 6 ounces of oil.

-Fill the new oil filter a bit more than 1/2 full and screw it in place.

-Remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (under hood fuse box). This will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating while priming.

-Remove spark plugs.

-Place 1 squirt of 5w-30 oil in each cylinder.

-Turn key to crank and crank engine with the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. This may take several 20-30 second runs of the starter.

-Release key when the oil pressure light goes off.

-Turn key to crank and crank engine again until oil pressure light goes out. Repeat 2 times.

-Replace spark plugs.

-Replace PCM B fuse.

-Prime fuel system by turning key to on but not crank and wait until pump stops, turn key to off, wait 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.

-Start engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote