SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 03:16 AM   #1
Hazards
Hazards is on a distinguished road

Default clacking sound

ok weird problem here. i do not know if this is something rattling, or a mechanical problem. occasionally (not consistant at all) when i come out of third my car will make a clacking noise. while driving at low speeds in a resdential i noticed that 3rd gear sounded differant than all the others, more mettallic, almost like something was rubbin, spinning, slipping, or wasnt being properly lubricated. the loud clacking only happens when taking it out of third while aggressively driving (high rpms)
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

Maybe the exhaust section is loosen, but the engine maybe pinging during high-load in low-rpm too.

How old is the car already, DOHC or SOHC? Try a bottle of Techron concentrate for a tank first.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #3
Hazards

99 sc1, sorry. i got the car with 31k , it has 33k now, and i have put nothing but texico gas in it
Old 05-30-2002, 03:14 PM   #4
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

Thats weird....I'm no technician..but is it possible that a gear could need to be adjusted. If if something sounds like its rubing against something when you were driving it makes me think something needs to be readjusted. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Hazards

yeah, i know the exhaust is loose, never been dis loud, but ill see whats up after i tighten everytihg down, it didnt do it at all today
Old 06-01-2002, 02:21 AM   #6
Hazards

found out my problem..... i was driving down the highway in fifth gear in front of a rag top corvette when my buddy sed all of a sudden it looked like somehting fell out from underneath my car. the driver of the vette started honking, and i noticed somehting behind my car. my feul level was fine, my temp was fine, so i was about to call my buddy and ask him if it was coming from my car, when he called me and told me i was leaking **** everywhere. pulled over, smoke everywhere, killed motor, clean top half of motor, not overheated, full tank of gas, no transmission fluid. when the tow truck lifted the front end, we noticed my front plastic guard was halfway off, and there were no cracks in the tranny case, and the plug was still there, but no fluid. im regretting buying a saturn......
Old 06-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Mad

I would say that you have experienced the dreaded differential pin drop out. You can either get the trans rebuilt or get a used one and put it in. Best way to test to see if it is the diff pin (most likely anyway) is to try and top up the trans and see if the fluid is coming out from the bell housing of the trans. For used try Joey at

sales@6thplanetusedparts.com

Tell him we sent you and see what he can do for you.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:25 PM   #8
Hazards

well when i got the car i bought the extended warranty, so will this be covered? is this something that they can try and blame me for for abuse? my car is bone stock....thanks for all your help
oh yeah, can you explain to me how exactly the diff pin causes this? id like to know the technical aspects of the problem
Old 06-02-2002, 03:27 AM   #9
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

It hasn't happened to me, but a lot of people have described the problem on the forums. Basically, it doesn't take much tire spinning (ice, burnouts, etc.) to cause the diff pin to snap, and shoot through the bell housing, causing sudden loss of fluid.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:55 PM   #10
Hazards

1. how did it snap while i was on the highway, not spinning tires?
2. how does spinning the tires snap the diff pin? never had that problem on my supra or corolla, or my buddy's civic, mustang, camaro, or firebird......
Old 06-02-2002, 04:13 PM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default pin

UH you bought the car USED remember...The extended warrantee (if it's the one I'm thinking of )WILL cover the transaxle replacement (GET NEW NOT REBUILT OR USED AS THEY ARE PAYING FOR IT!) Once in, unless you drive like an idiot, the transaxle will last a good long time. The pin in question is essentially a close tolerance fit differential spider gear axle/retainer which is in turn held in place by a snap ring like device. Abusing the transaxle causes the pin to slap against it's bore in the transaxle differential until it becomes "loose" this looseness puts undo strain on the retaining clip which breaks allowing the pin to slide in it's bore. Centrifugal force then takes over and propells the pin out of it's bore and usually through the side/bottom of the transaxle's differential case.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2002, 04:18 PM   #12
Hazards

ok, so is saturns pin just cheaper or why is it that me and my friend with another sc the only people that have had this happen from spinning tires?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:31 PM   #13
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default re cheaper

Some would/will probably argue design flaw..The engineers would simply say that it was designed to propell the car forward not melt down the tires...there is an aftermarket replacement piece which solves the problem permanently...although your warrantee definately will NOT cover it's cost or the cost of installation...if you INSIST on trying to make your car do things it was NEVER DESIGNED TO DO, I would invest in the part. I believe it may be available through SPS via the internet and will require the transaxle to be out of the car for easiest installation.
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2002, 04:35 PM   #14
Hazards

what is the part? not lookin to get it n e time soon, i think i am just going to go show now that i know all this.....
Old 06-02-2002, 05:29 PM   #15
wolfman

Default replacement part

Part you need is called a "Phantom Grip' Saturn DIff Pin Kit available from Phantomgrip.com for $299.00 not including shipping and handling. HIGHLY RECOMMEND PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION!!!
Old 06-02-2002, 08:38 PM   #16
Hazards

ok man, thanks a lot, youve been a great help figuring out what xactly happened. thanks again
Closed Thread