SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
bryanr72
bryanr72 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Question Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

Ok, I have done alot of searching, and found alot of diagrams for this, that, & the other.

I found a diagram by Wolfman, but the pin numbers are missing. I'm not even sure if this will work on GEN III S-Series vehicles, as it only states it will work for GEN II....and was never updated to say if GEN III was the same wiring solution.
saturnfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318&d=1023326005

All of the other threads do not use 2 relays, and some talk about disabling the DRLs to use just 1 relay.

So far, none of them talk about the fog lights staying on when the hi-beams are engaged.

I would like to keep my DRLs operable, and would like the fog lights to stay on when my high beams are engaged. Does anyone out there know enough about this to give a definitive answer without forwarding me to other threads that are incomplete?

I seriously thank you for your time on this one.
-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
bryanr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
bryanr72

2000 SL2
Default Re: Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

Here is the diagram Wolfman posted:

-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Do not try and keep fogs on as well as electrical overload is not far away. The circuit should work with a gen-3.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...E-RELAY/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...O-RELAY/1.html

--or--

2 of these: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...E-RELAY/1.html

There are words accompanying that diagram and while looking at the relay diagram you ca figure out which pins n the drawing are connected to the coils and which to contacts. Keep in mind you are applying a GROUND to turn on the low beams when the high beams are on and the low beam relay serves to maintain the low beam only function operable.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
bryanr72

2000 SL2
Question Re: Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Do not try and keep fogs on as well as electrical overload is not far away. The circuit should work with a gen-3.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...E-RELAY/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...O-RELAY/1.html

--or--

2 of these: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...E-RELAY/1.html

There are words accompanying THAT diagram and while looking at the relay diagram you ca figure out which pins n the drawing are connected to the coils and which to contacts. Keep in mind you are applying a GROUND to turn on the low beams when the high beams are on and the low beam relay serves to maintain the low beam only function operable.

When you say "THAT" diagram....are you talking about Wolfman's diagram, or are you talking about the diagram that comes with the relay/socket?

Also, is the diagram Wolfman posted, accurate for my car?

Lastly, just so I know. Once I have this mod wired correctly, let's say I wanted to turn off my DRLs by pulling the relay and bending the pin out of the way...would everything still be wired properly for the quad hi-beams?

Thank you so much for your help OldNuc. I know I ask alot of questions, but I figure if I learn "why" something works or doesn't work, then I gain alot of knowledge...rather than just doing a step-by-step instruction and having no clue as to what I just did.

But anyway, I thank you! Happy New Year!!
-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanr72 View Post
When you say "THAT" diagram....are you talking about Wolfman's diagram, or are you talking about the diagram that comes with the relay/socket?
The description that Wolfman posted with the drawing. RED is 12v from IGN-3 and the GREEN wire is ground. RED is connected to one side of the coils.

Also, is the diagram Wolfman posted, accurate for my car?
Yes.

Lastly, just so I know. Once I have this mod wired correctly, let's say I wanted to turn off my DRLs by pulling the relay and bending the pin out of the way...would everything still be wired properly for the quad hi-beams?
Yes.

Thank you so much for your help OldNuc. I know I ask alot of questions, but I figure if I learn "why" something works or doesn't work, then I gain alot of knowledge...rather than just doing a step-by-step instruction and having no clue as to what I just did.

But anyway, I thank you! Happy New Year!!
The wire colors he references are not correct for your car as to the ground side of the lamps. There is a headlight schematic in my photo gallery that gives the colors that match your car. Just remember do not connect to ORANGE! You can pick up switched coil power from about anywhere.

Happy New Year to you as well...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It now has pin numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wireing-96'+.jpg (46.4 KB, 654 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
bryanr72

2000 SL2

Quote:
It now has pin numbers.

Now I have just a straight-up dumb question.

If I tap into the high & low beam lights on the driver's side...because it is close to the battery...the current will work its way back through the lines and make it's way to the passenger side lights?? Correct??

What size fuse would you put in the in-line holder?

Them for my last question, if I wanted to put a switch in the car or under the hood, so that I could make the lights function normally (pre-mod), which wire would you put the switch on?? POS going to battery? Wire going to parking light? Wire going to Low Beam?
-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanr72 View Post
Now I have just a straight-up dumb question.

If I tap into the high & low beam lights on the driver's side...because it is close to the battery...the current will work its way back through the lines and make it's way to the passenger side lights?? Correct??
Yes.

What size fuse would you put in the in-line holder?
5 or 10 amp will be fine.

Them for my last question, if I wanted to put a switch in the car or under the hood, so that I could make the lights function normally (pre-mod), which wire would you put the switch on?? POS going to battery? Wire going to parking light? Wire going to Low Beam?
Just pull your inline fuse out of its inline fuse holder, that will shut the mod down completely. The lights will now function as originally designed.
Look at those drawings in the gallery so you know where to be tapping into the existing wiring system. Tapping in at the left headlight bulb will get the right one as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
bryanr72

2000 SL2

Quote:
Look at those drawings in the gallery so you know where to be tapping into the existing wiring system. Tapping in at the left headlight bulb will get the right one as well.

When you say left headlight bulb, are you are talking about the driver's side, or left from your POV if you were standing in front of the hood looking at the engine?

If I tap the hi-beam & low-beam wires a few inches back from where you install the bulb, is that a good spot?

Seriously, my last question...unless I blow something up...the diagram below shows Pin 86 on the left relay going to the "Parking Light". Is that the +POS side of the Front Side Marker (which on our cars doesn't blink as a turn signal or hazard)?

Again, sorry for all the questions.
-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is an error in the schematic above. Left hand relay pin 85 should connect to right hand relay pin 30 ground. Do not connect left hand relay pin 85 to +12v. The brown parking light on wire applies 12v to energize the left hand relay coil.

Last edited by OldNuc; 01-02-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
bryanr72

2000 SL2

Quote:
There is an error in the schematic above. Left hand relay pin 85 should connect to right hand relay pin 30 ground. Do not connect left hand relay pin 85 to +12v. The brown parking light on wire applies 12v to energize the left hand relay coil.

I thought I already posted this. Thanks to OldNuc & Wolfman, I think we have a working diagram. Once I do the mod, I will verify that it is accurate.

In the mean time, here it is:

-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I see you solved the issue with an inability to get photo gallery images to display.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

That mod is so much simpler to do after you've bent, I think, pin 85 on the DRL relay over thereby disabling DRL's. It's more effective to turn on the parking lights and/or low beams anyway.

Then again, if lack of lighting is your issue it's more effective to move to a '91-'96 SC2 IMO. Mine had more forward light then a '97 SC2 with this mod, and far more light then my SW2 currently does.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
bryanr72

2000 SL2

Nope. Unfortunately, I had to host that photo on my FTP site. This is only forum I've been on, personally, that wouldn't show it's own pictures. Hmm?

Quote:
I see you solved the issue with an inability to get photo gallery images to display.
-Bryan
2000 Saturn SL2
5 Speed
116K Miles
Blackberry
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It does have that feature. Look at the box below the Smilies, My Picks [open. That opens another window where you could select photos from your gallery to insert into your post. It is broke. When the forum changed servers several years ago the URL links were broken, not fixed yet.

You can only use the attachment feature in a single post to get the image and after that you either link the initial entry or go in and break the original link which renders any previous posts that used that image broke.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

On my 97 I disabled the DRLs, ran a jumper wire from the low beam relay to the fog light relay. This way the fogs turned on with the low beams.

Holy crap, batman! The page from 8 years ago is still there!

I'm hoping to do this on my 02 L300...

I had the Sylvania Silverstars in the high and low beams, incredibly bright! Never replaced the fogs before I wrecked it, but they looked yellow in comparison.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Quad High Beam mod w/DRL & Fog Lights

Just did our '98 SW2 w/o disabling DRLs using a single 30 amp relay thusly:

Relay harness
Red - 85, Fused (5A) live; tapped fr UHFB
Green - 86, Hi beam ground (pink)
Blue - 87, Low beam ground (blue)
Black - 30, Chassis ground
Yellow - 87b, Redundant, taped & set aside

All connections were soldered & heatshrinked.

Circuitry
Hi beam ground signals relay engagement, relay connects blue low beam ground to chassis ground, both high & low beams are on. Works great! DRLs work as before; fog lamps same (avail w/ park lamps & low beam; auto off on hi beam). If don't like just unplug relay.
djjsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
2002Wrangler
2002Wrangler is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.6L

[QUOTE=bryanr72;1940758]I thought I already posted this. Thanks to OldNuc & Wolfman, I think we have a working diagram. Once I do the mod, I will verify that it is accurate.

Will this mod work on a 2006 Vue?

Thanks,

Guy
"STEWART'S LAW"

“The difficulty of a task is inversely proportional to the intelligence
of the person preforming the task”
2002Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

After using this mod for 6 years, it destroyed the switch on my steering column. USE WITH CAUTION.

There's a better solid state design out there now, but I just opted to remove the relays and polish the lenses. I also replaced the stock bulbs with brighter ones, and I've had plenty of light since. I may do the solid state mod at some point, but for now I've got enough light at night.
MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Quad High Beam mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
After using this mod for 6 years, it destroyed the switch on my steering column. USE WITH CAUTION.
The way I did ours w/ a single relay puts no extra load on the column switch.
djjsc is offline   Reply With Quote