SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default EGR Issues

'99SL1 128,000km.

Car is throwing a p0401 (Insufficent EGR flow). EGR valve has been replaced twice. Question I now have... Could this be a problem with vacuum lines on this??? Could there be a crack in one of the lines? I have been told that a different code will be thrown if there was an electrical problem with the valve.

Car is running okay, but obviously this is something that I would like to get fixed.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin94SL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: EGR Issues

Clean the EGR valve instead of replacing it and save some money

If you dont like the tires ur on...change em...now how does that apply to life??? think about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_new_raceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

When you replaced the EGR, did you clean out the ports on the manifold? They can get awfully carboned up & REALLY restrict flow. I've used a flathead screwdriver in the past to clear some of that shtuff off (don't necessarily recommend that approach) but a good amount of carb spray & a stiff brush couldn't hurt.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin94SL
'99SL1 128,000km.

Car is throwing a p0401 (Insufficent EGR flow). EGR valve has been replaced twice. Question I now have... Could this be a problem with vacuum lines on this??? Could there be a crack in one of the lines? I have been told that a different code will be thrown if there was an electrical problem with the valve.

Car is running okay, but obviously this is something that I would like to get fixed.
As mentioned already clean out the EGR passages with a something like GM combustion chamber cleaner. Dissolves carbon very well.

Side note.

The 99 model year uses an electronicly operated EGR valve. No vacuum lines for it at all.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

The reason that the EGR valve is being REPLACED and not just cleaned, is that it is a warranty issue. I've only been driving the car for about 3 weeks.

I don't know what they did when replacing as I haven't been standing beside them. I would assume that things would be cleaned, but can't guarantee it. I will give that suggestion when I take the car back in.

SSICarman.... Thanks for the tip about being all electrical. Was looking in a... Haynes (I think) manual for '91-'99 just to see what the deal was and it was mentioning electical as well as vacuum connections - I didn't actually go out and look under the hood at it.

I think that my father will be running the car down this time, so I will mention to him about the cleanliness of everything and see what can be done.

Thanks all for your help.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin94SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default One small speck of carbon....

Cleaned, new, whatever, all you need (((>and you've got the kms <))) is one small speck of carbon to clog the EGR open. That has happened to me, within two days of a full cleaning job. One small carbon speck >>>

BTW, I've not purchased a new EGR in the last 6 years..... I simply remove, replace with my backup, and then clean out the 'removed' unit.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #7
cherylt
cherylt is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Been searching forums and was wondering if this is cure for my car problems.
My 1994 S saturn just recently started bucking upon acceleration. Used dry gas and fuel injection cleaner. Have put new plugs wires and fuel filter in and checked the fuel pressure all seems fine. But it continues to buck. It idles fine. I'm to the point of going to a dealer for a diagnostic check but hate to spend the money. Could the egr be the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cherylt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cherylt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cherylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Earl43P
Earl43P is on a distinguished road

Absolutely could. And it is an easy job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Earl43P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Earl43P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks, I have the manual but it really doesn't go into the egr so will try to clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cherylt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylt
Been searching forums and was wondering if this is cure for my car problems.
My 1994 S saturn just recently started bucking upon acceleration. Used dry gas and fuel injection cleaner. Have put new plugs wires and fuel filter in and checked the fuel pressure all seems fine. But it continues to buck. It idles fine. I'm to the point of going to a dealer for a diagnostic check but hate to spend the money. Could the egr be the problem?

If you have the vacuum operated EGR you may have a different problem. Is the bucking under light throttle application, as in slow parking lot kind of driving? If it is then the vacuum bleed on the EGR may be plugged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:56 AM   #11
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L

It bucks mainly at acceleration while trying to get up to speed. Once up to speed it is not too bad. It is getting worse and is real bad if going up hill. I am not sure if I have a vacuum egr will have to check. Will try to clean EGR tonight after work, weather permitting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L

A PS to my last post....You mentioned the vacuum bleed being plugged? This stuff is new to me so here's the dumb question. Where would the vacuum bleed be? I know there is a small hose off the egr or would it be elsewhere. I'm relying on the little electrical diagram under the hood for locating most of this stuff.

Tks cheryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Most '94s have a vacumn operated EGR valve. The linear EGR valve doesn't have any vacumn hoses going to it.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #14
tabb
tabb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It bucks mainly at acceleration while trying to get up to speed. Once up to speed it is not too bad. It is getting worse and is real bad if going up hill. I am not sure if I have a vacuum egr will have to check. Will try to clean EGR tonight after work, weather permitting.
Just unplug the vacuum line from the egr valve and see if the problem disappears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tabb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tabb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up Re: EGR Issues

If I unplug the vacuum line prior to driving is what your saying, Ill give that a shot before I drive home this afternoon.

I really appreciate all the feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #16
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
If I unplug the vacuum line prior to driving is what your saying, Ill give that a shot before I drive home this afternoon.

I really appreciate all the feedback.
UPDATE: Cleaned EGR(looked like the original) so replaced it

Still bucking upon acceleration, rechecked spark plugs,wires and cleaned pcv valve(new 2 months ago) and replaced hose from pcv valve(it was cracked).

I also tried it with the vacuum hose unhooked from egr.

I'm open for any and all suggestions.

So the shopping list so far is:
New EGR
New fuel filter
Checked fuel pressure
new air filter,
New pcv valve and hose
dry gas
injector cleaner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
ssicarman

Vac bleed is built into the EGR valve it self. If it is plugged then the valve will need to be replaced.

How are you cehcking the plug wires? With an ohm meter? Checked the coils? Especially for corrosion on the plug wire towers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #18
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L

Did not check plug wire with meter, just visual check. I was just reading through all the forums and saw mention of the coil packs. So tomorrow I'll check. Any advice on what I'm actually looking for is appreciated. It's just me and my haynes manual and of course this forum.

Someone at work mentioned a bad catalytic converter could cause this, is that another option and is there a way to check.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #19
ssicarman

You don't wnat anymore than 10,000 ohms max per plug wire. That is even high. The shorterthe wire the lower then resistance. If you have infinate resistance or open readings then the wire is no good. Approx 8,000 ohms across the coil towers and infinate from a tower to ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #20
cherylt

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
You don't wnat anymore than 10,000 ohms max per plug wire. That is even high. The shorterthe wire the lower then resistance. If you have infinate resistance or open readings then the wire is no good. Approx 8,000 ohms across the coil towers and infinate from a tower to ground.
Well, I think problem fixed. This AM called a local garage to check price of having car diagnosed. I told him the problem and said change spark plug wires. I told him I had just changed them recently and he said that the wires with the long boots are notorious for being bad. He said he had seem them be bad in under a month. So bought new wires and plugs (didn't go cheap this time) and changed them.
Took a short test drive and seems fine, now I'm taking my daughter to the mall (ugh) and this will be the real test, lots of hills and highway driving.

Don't regret putting in new egr and fuel filter etc, the mileage was terrible and both looked like original parts.

Will do final post after trip.

Once again thanks for all the help, I bought wires with a lifetime warranty and thinking about just swapping them out every six months or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!