SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
ub3rn00ber
ub3rn00ber is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Key code problem, car wont start???? and where do i get a short shifter?

Ok so sometimes i turn my car off and it wont go back on, it wont even attempt to start. Then i can sit there and play with it and it still wont start, sometimes it fakes like it is but then it dosnt.

When this happens, i cannot pushstart it, and the lights on the dash light up (including the car with the lock).

Then if i just let it sit for a while it will start up fine, some times i have to play with it.

It did it this morning and i tryed push starting it, it went to 1000 rpm them it slowly died (even if i stomped on the gas). Then my friend tryed, he tryed took the key out fliped it, tryed, fliped key, ect. And finally after a few trys it started up fine.

What could be the problem?

Also where can i get a shortshifter for a regular 04 Ion 3?

Thanks
-Sean

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ub3rn00ber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ub3rn00ber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ub3rn00ber is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
ub3rn00ber

Default Re: Key code problem, car wont start???? and where do i get a short shifter?

can anyone answer either question?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ub3rn00ber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Chriscnl
Chriscnl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Key code problem, car wont start???? and where do i get a short shifter?

I smell warranty if you has not passed the 36k mile mark...or for a over-the-web diagnostics. you need a new ignition switch if it has not been done. I am pretty positive that the PCM has already stored DTCs B3033 and or B2960. This equals a new Ign switch and a new passlock reprogram. Let me know on how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chriscnl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chriscnl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chriscnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
ub3rn00ber

The warranty was up a month ago... But the key locked up on me about 3 months ago and they put in a new key+ignition mechanism. Think i can get them to cover it still even though im at 37k miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #5
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

That is the Ign lock cylinder, what needs replaced is the switch behind it. If it has already been replaced in your car, it may need a BCM. If this is the first time it has happened/been addressed, they may honor the warranty and replace it for you anyways since it is a known problem and you are very close....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
TBone1082
Advanced Member
TBone1082 will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

What was said above. WIth the lock light going on, sounds like a Passlock code being thrown. If you just got it done, they should be good on replacing it, even tho your just 1,000 miles over on warranty.

When the car revs up to 1k RPMs and then shuts off, its your cars passlock system kicking into effect. No matter how many times you jam on the gas, it wont start. This is part of the system in your car that immobilizes it to prevent theft. A temp fix that you can use till you get it fixed is kind of simple:

If the car doesnt start, take the key out, wait about 15-20 minutes(yes I know this can be annoying). THis will give the system time to reset itself. Then try again.

I had the ignition cylinder problem myself last winter and when the problem occured, that was my quick fix.

STC-NY

Sales Consultant @ Saturn of Medford

Number 4 in line for a 2007 Sky Redline!
Black w/Black leather, Tan Inserts
LSD, Single CD Monsoon System, and Spoiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TBone1082's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TBone1082 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TBone1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
ub3rn00ber

Its nice to know fellow saturn owners are nice and willing to help (unlike my gf who wants to drive my poor ion off a cliff). I took it in today and they said it would be covered under warenty since it was so close and they replaced the ign system. Thank you for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

TMW has a short shifter for the Ion, comes with a knob and everything. Supposed to be a great shifter, a few guys here have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
ub3rn00ber

Bingo it was the BCM thats for helping! They replaced it free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!