SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
jlettiere
jlettiere is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 L Tire Cupping - Not Again!

This is a getting to be a tired subject here, but I need some quick advice.

My original Firestone Firehawks "cupped" at 25,000 miles after doing all of the proper tire/alignment/rotation. The rear alignment (which many in the past said is the cause of the "cupping") was never out of spec.

Saturn replaced the tires at not cost. I know have 52,000 miles and the tires are cupped again after doing all of the proper tire/alignment/rotation.

Question - Is it just the firestones or is it the rear alignment specs? If it's the firestones, I'll replace with a premium quality tire. If it's the aggressive rear spec, then it may not really matter what tire I buy because the cupping will continue to reoccur.

Any suggestions or past experience?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlettiere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlettiere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlettiere is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2003 L Tire Cupping - Not Again!

My vote would be against the tires. The Firehawks have never been the most even-wearing, long-lasting tires, and most people have replaced them with something different and haven't looked back. Obviously it's worth checking the rear camber adjustment and have a four-wheel alignment done, but I would dump the Firehawks. I think we've been lucky to get over 30k on ours with minimal wear, but they sure are noisy.

There are lots of posts regarding good replacement tires for the L, such as the Bridgestone Potenza G009 (all I can think of right now). Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
frostypanic
frostypanic is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I had the same issue on my oem firehawks, I replaced them at 35K with Goodyear American Eagles, felt like a different car. Do you have the 16" wheels. I had the alignment done and shim kit that is supposed to allow for a greater range of adjustment. Now with 45K on the tires and are just now starting to cup again, but not bad enough to replace just yet. I will run to 55K get the car aligned again and hope for the best. The goodyears at Wally World run about $90 a tire w/mount and balancing plus lifetime rotate and balance. I feel a better tire will put off the cupping but eventually the tires esp the 16" tires will cup. My wife has the 15" on her 00 and we have only had the car aligned once in 95K miles and that was just recently. Check out the Goodyears or the BF goodrich traction TA both sold at Wally world.

Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frostypanic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frostypanic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frostypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
jlettiere

Thanks to those that posted replies to my thread. You have been very helpful. Looks like a GOOD set of tires and continued maintenance should put off this "disease" for quite a while. I can't wait to get "quiet" back into the L.
Thanks so much!
Jack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jlettiere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

My LW200 did the same thing, except with Firestone Crapfinnities. The dealer replaced them at 35k, and they cupped < 10k later. I replaced with a set of Goodyear Viva 2s that lasted 60k without cupping.

I am convinced that Firestone Crapfinnities (and Firehawks) would cup on any car, even if it doesn't move!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
jlettiere

Thanks "usa3624"! I think it looks like I'm out of Firestones! Good info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlettiere
Thanks "usa3624"! I think it looks like I'm out of Firestones! Good info.
Please let us know what tires you end up with and your opinion of them. I'll probably be looking for a new set early next year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote