SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
cheverie
cheverie is on a distinguished road

Default Can anyone help me clueless

Hello everyone,
I have had my saturn since 1998. We bought it brand new with 90 miles on it. It now has 144,747 miles!!!!!!! This car is a terrific car. I will not get rid of it for the world!!!! In 2003, my dad crashed it and since then it has been sitting in our garage. Before the crash the a/c did not work, it blew hot air. I think it broke 2 years before that. Anyways, my father fixed the car and painted it, it looks spaking new, but without the a/c. I am looking to have it fixed. My car is a simple car, it has no power steering, its a 5 speed, no electric window or anything like that. Its a very simple car. I want to fix it myself, yes, this girl knows how to get dirty!!! lol. I could not find help at the dealership, they wanted $1200 to fix it. These are my questions.

- The compressors I have seen some that with the clutch, but there is nothing wrong with the clutch, so buy the compressor w/ clutch??????
-What other parts should I change???
-What do center mounted hose, offset mounted hose mean?????
-Should I get the compressor from a junkyard???? There is a junkyard that gives you 90 days warranty and the car that I saw only has 30,000 miles on it. They will even check it to make sure it works. For remanufactured ones I have seen $200 and up and its too much for me, that will destroy my bank.

Any opinions, gladly welcomed

Thanks

PS I did have the ac checked and they told me it was the compressor. Before my dad brought me the car, they added the refrigerant, its cools a little, but hardly when the afternoon sun is out. If it rain, then it cools, you can feel it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheverie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheverie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheverie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Can anyone help me clueless

Have you been starting the engine monthly or so? If not, the engine itself would be my first concen, before fiddling with the A/C. Not running an engine for three years is, well, gonna create challenges. Wolfman once posted a great checklist for revivng a long-term dormant car; I'm just not sure what you would search on to find it. "Storage", perhaps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You'll be spending at least $200 to do anything if you are trying to cut costs and a/c isn't a place to save $$$. In addition to a compressor with or w/o the clutch you'll need the proper tools; clutch puller, a/c manifold gauges, replacement filter/drier, rental vacuum pump or access to one, R134a, a/c knowledge and experience. You may have to turn to a pro or a friend to save $$$ but there will be unavoidable costs and you'll need to do more research to assess the extent of the repairs and then you'll be in a better position to determine the costs involved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Find a good A/C shop, not the dealer. You'll see plenty of threads on here with people going crazy trying to fix A/C units. I've seen many good experienced mechanics go nutz trying to fix them. A/C is on my short list of items to get done someplace other than the dealer (unless it's covered under warranty ).

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
cheverie

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES. MY FATHER TURNED THE CAR ON WHEN HE CAME HOME FOR 20 MIN EVERY DAY HE WAS THERE. I WENT SEARCHING AND SEARCHING TODAY AND I FINALLY FOUND A MECHANIC THAT WILL DO IT FOR $130 PARTS AND EVERYTHING. HOW, WELL I AM A GIRL, I CAN GET AWAY WITH MURDER!!!! JUST JOKING, HE TOLD ME TO GET A USE COMPRESSOR INSTEAD. I AM NOT GOING TO BE USING THIS CAR ALOT ESPECIALLY ON HOT SUMMER DAYS. HE IS GOING TO CHECK THE COMPRESSOR THAT HE IS GOING TO FIND INSTALL IT AND HOPEFULLY THAT WILL BE THE END OF THAT. SO WISH ME LUCK. I WILL KEEP ALL OF YOU POSTED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cheverie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheverie
HOW, WELL I AM A GIRL, I CAN GET AWAY WITH MURDER!!!! JUST JOKING,
No you're not, it's true. and STOP YELLING AT ME!!!!
The small shop is the best way to go. Also, don't buy tires at the dealer. There's a few other things, but I can't remember now.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
cheverie

UPDATE::::

I finally fixed my a/c. Used part, but hopefully it could make it until this winter or forever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheverie
......this girl knows how to get dirty!!!.......

I like you already *droolzzz*

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

And post some pics!......of your car of course

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote