SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
DHOOP
DHOOP is on a distinguished road

Default Gas Pedal

What is the usual spot that needs lubrication when the gas pedal sticks in its first 1/8 inch of travel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DHOOP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DHOOP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DHOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Gas Pedal

It may not be caused by the pedal itself. I suspect you need to clean the throttle body, as the crud buildup can contribute to the pedal "sticking".

Also the pivoting area of the throttle body where the cable attaches can stick and make it feel like a stuck pedal.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
stlouis1997sl
stlouis1997sl is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem on a 1997sl1. I bought the throttle body gasket but haven't done it yet because I want to pull the IAC and don't know if the IAC gasket and O-ring can be bought seperatly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stlouis1997sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stlouis1997sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stlouis1997sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
bonfireking
bonfireking is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Wife's '97 SC2 had a sticky pedal in the first 1/8th of travel. We just lived with it for a while. But in the midst of other problems, I went to change the Throttle Position Sensor (which is on the throttle body). So I removed the throttle body to do this and found out WHY the pedal sticks... carbon buildup was so bad on the throttle plate it was wedging itself in the body. I could easily feel it trying to turn the throttle by hand.

Solution: with throttle body off (this is simple to get off, it's just two 10mm bolts), I sprayed the innards of the throttle body with WD-40 and wiped everything clean with a rag. By hand I could tell it wasn't sticking anymore. After replacing the TPS I test drove the car and the pedal wasn't sticking at all.

I understand this to be very common amongst Saturns, and it's an easy 1-hour fix at most.

'97 SC2, 200k, rebuild in process
'00 Honda Civic EX, 180k
'87 GMC S15, 80k
'84 Mustang, can't wait to rebuild [again]
'03 Honda CrV, 80k
I'll find more when I mow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bonfireking's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bonfireking reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bonfireking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It's not a good idea to use WD-40 on a throttle body. The silicone's not good for the O2 sensor. Use carb cleaner or my favorite Deep Creep (sprayable Sea Foam).

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote