SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
haydenth
haydenth is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Ion v. Deer

Just thought I'd share with you Ion-geeks an email I just sent to my dealership regarding an incident I had a few weeks ago:

-------

I just wanted to shoot a quick email over to you guys and let you know an experience I Just had with my 2004 Ion 2. About three weeks ago, I was driving down M-32 in the middle of nowhere up north (at 11:30pm) when I had a collision with a deer (more like the deer had a collision with me). My little Ion 2 took it like a champ - even though the entire right-front of the car was smashed up, including much of the engine. Anyway, despite having a broken hood latch and a mangled right-front side, the car was able to get me back to Gaylord MI, where I spent the night, fixed the latch and made it home down I-75 to Detroit and got my car repaired. In fact, other than the side of the car with the smashed headlamp, everything in the car continued to work perfectly.

I can't compliment Saturn engineering and design enough. I can say with confidence if I had a foreign car or even a Chevy I probably would have had to walk back to the hotel that night and I'd still be stranded in a crappy hotel up in Gaylord MI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haydenth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haydenth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haydenth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Thumbs Up Re: Ion v. Deer

I CAN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!

A deer decided to take on my ION a few months ago and after I hit it, I was seriously paniced that I wouldn't make it home. When I got out to look at the damage, I had a smashed driver's fender and headlight and a badly smashed hood, but everything else was a-ok and it ran like a champ to get me home (about 50 mile drive). What upset me the most was that for all the damage the deer did to my car, the stupid thing still got up and walked away from a hit at 60mph . I can't compliment Saturn enough on what a great job they did with these cars!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
SpeedyIon
SpeedyIon is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Ion v. Deer

Thats funny, and to think that my previous insurance company upped my rates because they thought the car would do bad in crashes. Nice to know this information tho.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC
www.ionforums.net - Forum For Saturn Ion Owners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedyIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedyIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedyIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

I grew up in iowa and with my first Saturn, a '97 SC1, I hit a deer. As most of you know those cars sit pretty low from the factory, and with that severely sloped front end, I took the deer's legs out - it was hilarious actually. he flopped down on my hood, made a nice dent, and popped back up like he'd just been clotheslined (which he had). Then the focker had the gall to trot off like nothing had happened! I dunno 'bout you guys but in IA when we hit them damn things we aim to kill - damage my car and you don't walk away from it, kinda attitude.

At any rate, got home and popps took a rubber mallet to the inside of the hood to pop everything back out and u could barely tell it'd happened One of the few metal parts on the car, and it still took a hit well

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyIon
Thats funny, and to think that my previous insurance company upped my rates because they thought the car would do bad in crashes. Nice to know this information tho.
The Cobalt does more poorly in a front end collision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
SpeedyIon
SpeedyIon is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturncanuck
The Cobalt does more poorly in a front end collision.
Maybe that is what they based their claim off of then.....I was so mad when they decided to do that. My insurance was high enough as it was due to a few tickets on my record. It was $360 and they wanted to take it up to $420......I left them real quick and found the rate of $220 at esurance.com. I was amazed. Now I have three tickets coming off my record really soon so it will go down even more. Yay!

BTW......aim to kill, that is awesome. Personally I'd rather keep my car in one piece. But if it came to that I'd still rather have fewer parts all over the road.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC
www.ionforums.net - Forum For Saturn Ion Owners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedyIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedyIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedyIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
liubhs02
liubhs02 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

ION is good with crashes cuz it has space frame construction rather than the unibody construction. That's why Cobalt doesn't do as well. Frame damage on unibody cars are bad too, because it weakens the frame and are almost impossible to remedy. The catch 22 is that if ION gets really popular, it'll probably lose the space frame chasis and get unibody because unibody cost less at higher volume.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liubhs02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liubhs02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liubhs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
benion2
benion2 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Gee, tough choice, "crappy hotel in Gaylord" or make it back to Detroit.
I'd vote for Gaylord.

It's not a race car, but it's a very nice car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
benion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by benion2
Gee, tough choice, "crappy hotel in Gaylord" or make it back to Detroit.
I'd vote for Gaylord.
Is the Big Buck Brewery still there?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
ELewandowski
ELewandowski will become famous soon enoughELewandowski will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

The only problem with your post, is that you say the hotels in Gaylord are crappy. Gaylord, despite its name, is prolly my favorite place to be in MI. They have the nicest hotels and resorts in the state. I have property near there and the area is known for there ski and golf resorts out in the middle of no-where.

P.S. Yes The Big Buck Brewery and Steakhouse is still there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ELewandowski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ELewandowski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ELewandowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
benion2
benion2 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELewandowski
The only problem with your post, is that you say the hotels in Gaylord are crappy. Gaylord, despite its name, is prolly my favorite place to be in MI. They have the nicest hotels and resorts in the state. I have property near there and the area is known for there ski and golf resorts out in the middle of no-where.

P.S. Yes The Big Buck Brewery and Steakhouse is still there.
Call of the Wild, the Sugar Bowl restaurant, the downtown area looks
just like Switzerland in the winter. Highest elevation in the LP.
Gaylord is just fine.

It's not a race car, but it's a very nice car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
benion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
haydenth
haydenth is on a distinguished road

I didn't meant the post as a slight against Gaylord, I guess it's a nice little town and everyone was kind to me there. The hotel wasn't so nice, but it was a cheapo hotel. I know there are some pricey resorts in that town. Anyway, I'd rather be in Detroit any day of the week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haydenth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haydenth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haydenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by liubhs02
ION is good with crashes cuz it has space frame construction rather than the unibody construction. That's why Cobalt doesn't do as well. Frame damage on unibody cars are bad too, because it weakens the frame and are almost impossible to remedy. The catch 22 is that if ION gets really popular, it'll probably lose the space frame chasis and get unibody because unibody cost less at higher volume.
The Cobalt does better in the IIHS crash tests in both front and side
The Ion does slightly better in the NHSTA front tests
The ION and the spaceframe are going away in 2008

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote