SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default point behind the flex pipe in the exhaust

What is it? I've read a couple of posts about it and the only explination I can find is because of the transversly mounted engine torquing and needing flex in the pipe so it dosn't break.
What I'm wondering is how a 1.9L(or 1.6L, like my Elantra) I4 can torque more then a 2.8L or 3.1L V6, also transversly mounted. I had a 2.8L Cutlass Supreme, my mom had a 3.1L one and my dad has a 2.8L Regal.... All without the flexpipe and no exhaust problems other then normal ones from age.
Ok, writing this made me think it may because the V6's are opposed cylanders and the I4 is verticle so there's some "resistance" to torquing in the V6's but that dosn't quite make sense either...

sorry if this has been covered already, i didn't find it in a search.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: point behind the flex pipe in the exhaust

A lot of exhaust systems have a "flex" fitting between the exhaust manifold and the first exhaust pipe or downpipe. Not sure if our 1.9s actually torque more than the engines you list; AFAIK all engines torque, and require some kind of allowance for it between the engine and exhaust system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Hmmm. Any ideas why GM didn't put the flex fitting on the 1.9's?
I had to replace the flexpipe on my Elantra shorty before it(the entire car) went to h**l and it looks like the one in my SC1 is getting close to needing a new one as well.
I'd rather not have to pay another $150+ to get another flexpipe if theres a cheaper way of making a straight pipe work like the older/bigger engines use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Ever rev the engine while you're under the hood? If not, do it, you'll see how much movement the engine make.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote