SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member
DTDSasquatch is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default SDA Top Motor Mount Insert

I wasn't happy with the amount of engine movement I was getting with either the stock upper mount, or the mount from Advance Auto Parts I had bought to replace it. So, I just ordered one of these...

http://www.streetdesignauto.com/index.htm?c55.htm&1

... and inserted it into my old stock mount. Contrary to the claims of others, insertion was actually quite easy when using a little lube. I'm not sure yet if I love it or hate it though.

Pros:

Engine movement is very minimal now, even with stock dog bones and transmission mount.

I no longer have to baby the clutch while launching the car from a dead stop. I'm really not that hard on the car, but the engine and transmission used to move so much, that it actually felt like wheel hop from the driver's seat.

Shifting is almost easy now! This is my favorite part, since shifting was so difficult before. I'm thinking that a transmission flush should improve it a little more, and so might replacing the other mounts.

Cons:

I didn't previously know that my passenger side headlight has a broken mounting tab, but it was the first thing I noticed after starting up the car with this mount insert. The headlight was vibrating against the bumper a lot. For now, I just shoved my greasy paper towel between the headlight and the bumper, but I'll have to glue the tab back on for a more permanent fix. Maybe this should be in the "Pro" section, because it's a diagnostic tool to find stuff that's broken!

SO LOUD!!! I can deal with the actual vibration transmitted to my feet through the floor of the car, or to my butt through the seat. However, I swear that every piece of plastic in the car is rattling while at idle. My center vent used to rattle on occasion, but it would stop when I pushed on it a little. Now it's constant. I guess I'll just have to use some Goop or some foam insulation on it now. Then, I'll have to systematically track down and suppress every other rattle in the car...

A few questions:

Does anyone know if the vibration will actually increase more if I were to buy the SDA dog bones as well?

Could my stock dog bones be worn enough to actually be contributing to the vibration?

Will the vibration lessen at all if I were to replace my lower transmission mount (assuming it's worn out)?

Internet message boards: The demise of the English language.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DTDSasquatch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DTDSasquatch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DTDSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
sl1budgettuner
sl1budgettuner is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Re: SDA Top Motor Mount Insert

Ok 1: No the car will vibrate a hell of a lot more when you install aftermarket performance mounts. Since the engine is moving less, and the vibrations aren't absorbed, it will vibrate more.
2: No if your stock mounts were worn enough, you'd know.
3: Maybe, if an OEM mount is used.

'98 SL1 A/T
AEM SRA
MSD Plug Wires
H&R Sport Springs
KYB Struts
Progress Group 19mm rear sway bar
Rear Strut Bar
Sumitomo HTR 200 High Performance Tires
17.563 1/4 mile

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl1budgettuner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl1budgettuner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl1budgettuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
93 saturn sl2
93 saturn sl2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDSasquatch
Contrary to the claims of others, insertion was actually quite easy when using a little lube.
Sorry I just had too...

93 sl2
mp3 swapped
bolt on's
black interior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93 saturn sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93 saturn sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93 saturn sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
Sony
Sony is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDSasquatch

Does anyone know if the vibration will actually increase more if I were to buy the SDA dog bones as well?

Could my stock dog bones be worn enough to actually be contributing to the vibration?

Will the vibration lessen at all if I were to replace my lower transmission mount (assuming it's worn out)?
Yes the vibration would be even more since now you strongly fastening the vibratiness of the engine to the frame of your car!

No the weaker the engine mount the more play and rock the engine has so less vibration to the car.

If you make them stronger you will feel even more vibration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1budgettuner
Ok 1: No the car will vibrate a hell of a lot more when you install aftermarket performance mounts. Since the engine is moving less, and the vibrations aren't absorbed, it will vibrate more.
Do you have these mounts, and are telling me this from experience? I would usually tend to agree with this, but the dogbone mounts are allegedly not load-bearing mounts. So, I'm not really sure if the vibration at idle would be affected all that much. That's why I'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 saturn sl2
Sorry I just had too...
LOL! Wow, I must be getting old. I hadn't even noticed that. It was not long ago that I would have followed up that sentence with, "Huh huh, I said lube, huh huh huh..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
No the weaker the engine mount the more play and rock the engine has so less vibration to the car.
Is this in reference to my question about my possibly worn-out dogbones and transmission mount? If this were the case, then you wouldn't feel any increase in vibration when your upper engine mount wears out or fails.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DTDSasquatch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Stop being a baby and install the dogbones

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member

1997 SW2

LOL! Okay, twist my arm...

It's just that I'm really cheap, and there is already a lot more vibration then I was expecting from just the TAM insert.

Then again, they're really no more expensive then a pair of OEM dogbones...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!