SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
bryank930
bryank930 is on a distinguished road

Default Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

Just like it says. My car vibrates like crazy from about 50-60, to the point that I cant even read my watch on my arm, then it slightly smooths out if I go faster than that. Tires are balanced, new brakes. The drivers side has a slight squeek sound that sounds like I need new brakes, but they're new.

I'm lost. Please help.

Bryan

http://www.ionforums.net
http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=9

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryank930's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryank930 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryank930 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1
Default Re: Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

It could.
It also could be bad bushings.
Jack the car up and try to wiggle each tire side to side, and up and down.
With wheel bearings, the tire will move rather freely just a little bit. (bad bearing)
I would suspect a worn out bushing, tie rod end, or ball joint, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Upper and lower engine/transmission mounts

I'd suggest first, that you check the upper (((>engine<))) mount, and the lower (((>transmission<)))mount. You're at the mileage reading, at which time, these two mounts have lived out their usefullness.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
bryank930

Default Re: Upper and lower engine/transmission mounts

I changed the top mount about 3 weeks ago, and it did that before i changed it, and it still does it. It also makes a slight groaning noise when turning, thats why I asked.

PS: WOW 450,033 miles!!!! Do you have a pic of that??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bryank930 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
firevswater5
firevswater5 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

Look at the outer tie rods on both sides of your vehicle. If one of them has any play in it, it will cause the symptoms you described and needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firevswater5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firevswater5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firevswater5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
mohave
mohave is on a distinguished road

I would use the spare tire, or get another wheel/tire that I know is properly balanced and try moving it from one corner to another until the problem changes. Are the tires new or older? If a tire is worn out of round, it can still be in balance and cause a high speed vibration. I would also consider checking that balance again or having them dynamically balanced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mohave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mohave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mohave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
ym42
Advanced Member
ym42 is on a distinguished road

My "BET" is it is NOT the bearing. I actually had a bearing problem, and it was not like that at all. What you have is something very wrong with the tire/wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ym42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ym42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ym42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryank930
Just like it says. My car vibrates like crazy from about 50-60, to the point that I cant even read my watch on my arm, then it slightly smooths out if I go faster than that. Tires are balanced, new brakes. The drivers side has a slight squeek sound that sounds like I need new brakes, but they're new.

I'm lost. Please help.

Bryan

Try rotating the tires front to back. Sounds like an out of balance wheel or possibly a tire tread that is delaminating.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:34 AM   #9
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

I have the same issue, with a humm/vibration only occuring between 50 and 70 mph. It gets faster/slower depending on speed, and disappears completely as soon as I hit 70.

I did get my tires balanced/rotated, and this actually changed the vibration tone and direction - so I think they somehow related. I won't be changing tires for another year or so though, so unless the vibration gets really bad, it'll just have to wait.

Besides, it just gives me a reason to drive slightly above the speed limit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #10
Asinity
Asinity is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I've got the same problem with my 01 SC1.

I noticed it when I first test drove the car, but since it went away at about 95kph, I didn't worry too much about it at the time.

It happened with my regular all seasons, and it happens with my snows, each set with their own rims. This makes me think it's not the wheels, but again I've got no idea what it could be.

Also, it doesn't happen everytime the car cruises at that speed, some days it's fine, others it's not so fine. Could it perhaps have something to do with the suspension?

I simply let any passengers know that it's the 80kph massage.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asinity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asinity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
sven1
sven1 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'd double check the tire balance. I had the exact same problem and balanced the tires myself. It fixed the problem with a couple of simple wheel weights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sven1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sven1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

try this

You need drum brakes in the rear for this to work, discs have too much friction even when they're not applied.

Jack your car up and mount a suspect tire/wheel assembly on the rear drum. Use all the lugnuts but don't bother with any hubcaps.

Spin the tire like you're on "wheel of fortune". Give it a good whirl. It should spin at least five times. Let it spin down to a stop. It should nicely coast to a stop or this test will be invalidated (too much friction from brakes).

Note the valve stem position (I use "o'clock" for a reference).

Spin it again, and again. Note the position each time.

If the valve stem keeps showing up in the same spot, you need to add weight to the TOP of the wheel when left in that position.

If you spin a tire and it stops, reverses direction, and stops again, it is quite obviously out of whack.

Balancing is only as good as the tire store operator and the tune of his equipment.

You might also have a bent wheel, which will ride funny but look balanced in the above test.

Perfectionists will note this balancing method doesn't determine whether the weights should go on the inside or outside of the rim. However, it will point out an obviously poor balancing job.

I have my own lousy harbor freight tire mounting machine (pile of levers) in the basement and this is my balancing method.

One can buy sticky wheel weights, that work on steel and alloy wheels, on ebay. Mine were shipped in a priority mail flat rate envelope. Bet the post office loves that vendor!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Earl43P
Earl43P is on a distinguished road

Could be the CV Axle.

Less than $100 part.

About an hour job.

One special tool for the axle nut (large socket), but most parts stores have a loaner program.

Here's what I'd do. Floor jack one side so the tire you are checking is off the ground. Have an assistant put car in Drive (or fifth) and spin that tire up to a good speed, while you CAREFULLY observe that wheel and axle for the vibration. It helps to view from several (safe) angles and use a BRIGHT light that you can shine on it.

Repeat for other side.

My worst cv joint (blown boot for the whole winter- son was driving car, not me) was speed sensitive in that the faster you went, the worse it got until above about 65, then it was just a constant roar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Earl43P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Earl43P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Earl43P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
bryank930

It really starts doing it at about 45-50, and smooths out at about 70ish. I'm going to have the tires re-balanced this weekend and see how that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
bryank930

Dizzy Re: Will my car vibrate at freeway speeds if the wheel bearings are going???

UPDATE: When I hit somewhat large bumps in the road (potholes), it feels like my car jumps to the side a little. It also seems like the rear is "harder" than the front, like I can feel the bump more when the rear tires go over it.

P.S.: I didnt get a chance to get the tires balanced this past weekend either do to being ill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I bet you have bum struts.

Push down on your front bumper in the corner, see if the car comes back and stops.

if it keeps bouncing, your struts are blown.

Most likely what you feel are your tires dribbling like basketballs down the road.

Compare this to how the rear of your car bounces, or just try your neighbor's cars when they aren't looking!

In all seriousness if you can't fix this you should see a mechanic b/c it sounds like it's getting real dangerous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
bryank930

thats the weird part. I did the push down thing, and it comes up and stops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #18
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Sorry, but I'm resurrecting this thread because I actually solved the problem and wanted to give an answer. I had actually started my own threads awhile back, but I think this one is the most informative.

To recap, I had a humming vibration that would pulse on/off whenever I drove on the freeway, usually between 55 and 70. It would only be at these speeds, but sometimes it wouldn't humm in the morning when I jumped on the freeway. Had the wheels balanced and new tires, but it was still there..

This past weekend I changed my struts (KYB-GR2s) and rotated the tires. The vibration moved with the rotation (from the rear to the front), but it was greatly dampened. I could barely hear it, but it was still noticeable.

I took it into the shop because my alignment and wheels are under warrenty, and told them to specifically check the front wheels for balance in addition to my alignment (I suspected the first time they did it was crappy). When driving home that afternoon, I have no more pulsing sounds

So it seems the problem was a combination of both my wheels being unbalanced, and old struts (they had 110k on them). I do have a slight vibration on the freeway, but it doesn't pulse and was always there. I suspect it might be time to replace my engine mounts....next on my list to do.

Hope this helps people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
bryank930

Here's somewhat of an update. Both the front tie-rod ends and ball joints are OK, same with CV axles. I know in the rear I need sway bar end links (rattles, and they're loose). But now the vibration gets progressively worse as I go faster, at 90, I cannot read my digital odometer anymore, and it feels like I'm about to DIE. But from about 45 on up it gets progressively worse.

It could be the struts/mounts, as they're original (106k). But now, bumps feel fine. The car no longer jumps to the side anymore. BUT, the inside edge of the tread on my drivers-side rear tire is gone, completely bald. But only that tire. So I'm starting to think that wheel is causing all my problems. The car goes in for an alignment tomorrow (6/2), so we'll see what happens then.

Bryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #20
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

I had that on my car and it was the wheel bearing in the front. It was so bad that when the bearing was pulled, you can see where it ate through the race that holds it.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote