SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Tempsho
Tempsho is on a distinguished road

Default New ECTS, now throwing codes at me!!

Hey guys, I need some help.

car info: 1996 1.9 SL1 5 speed manual

I replaced my ECTS last night with a new copper tipped one (when I pulled the old one out, it was cracked)

When I fired the car up, the check engine light came on. I read the codes, and 2 of them came up. I cant remember the specific code number, but one was something along the lines of: "low signal from coolant sensor" and the other one was "low voltage from sensor"

before I plugged the wire harness into the new sensor, I inspected it, and it was severly corroded. I can only assume that is why its throwing these 2 codes at me.

The reason why I changed the ects in the first place is because:

1 - I was getting crappy gas millage
2 - really rough idle
3 - hard to start when it was cold (had to keep the peddle to the floor to start it)
4 - the temp gauge did not move off of cold when running

Now with the new sensor in, it runs much smoother (still not 100% though), but as soon as I start it up, the temp gauge jump right to half, and the fan comes on even if the engine is ice cold. What could cause this? Does the computer jump into a different(limp) mode if its getting a crappy signal from the ects at tells the car its running at half temperature?

Im still getting shift flare when I shift, so I think I need a new IAC.

Any help would be good guys!! I think I might need to replace the thermostat as well, but i'll see what happens after a new wire clip and once the codes are cleared.

Alot of great info on the site, which has saved me hundreds of dollars at the dealership, keep up the good work!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tempsho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tempsho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tempsho is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Tempsho

Default Re: New ECTS, now throwing codes at me!!

Oh ya, another thing, that harness for the ects is $47!! (cdn) more than the sensor itself. crazy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tempsho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Rymansl2
Rymansl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Yea if your getting those signals then something isn't right. If the ECTS hookup was all corroded then you have to replace it or it won't work right. Oddly enough when i replaced my ECTS, it wasn't cracked and the hookup wasn't corroded but i'm still glad i probably do't have to worry about it messing up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rymansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rymansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rymansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
sl2collector
sl2collector is on a distinguished road

i dont know if it possible for your 96 being that you only have one sensor, but i once did one, and got the wrong part (the sensor for the guage) instead of the one for the computer, caused the exact same problems. they will plug in the same connector.did you get a saturn part or aftermarket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2collector's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2collector reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

you are right, the computer has a limp home mode that drives the gauge to exactly 1/2 despite the ambient temp being freezing if it detects an ECTS problem. I would investigate your connector. Junkyards are good places to get extra connectors. The airbox temp sensor is the same part as the cts and has the same connector (albeit with different wire colors) so get one of those: Less harsh conditions mean less corrosion.

You might need a dentist's mirror to see this but do make sure the CTS you have installed has two pins. As SL2collector points out there is another part in the universe that has one pin.

The second code might be an "informational flag" that the car was, in the past, run with detected low coolant in the reservoir. This triggers the "mystery light" inside the tach that's shaped like a box with waves in it... Many threads have been started about the "mystery light when I accellerate when it's cold".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Tempsho

Thanks for the info guys. Im pretty sure the ects is the right one for my 96 SL1. It has the 2 pins on it, and fit in the same hole with a 13mm deep socket.

The replacement probes that have been posted here have a rounded tip. The one I have was a square tip. It is an ACDelco part, so I can only assume its the right one for my car.

I did have the low coolant light blinking on me, but I fixed that problem by flushing out the resevoir, filled it back up and then cleared the code.

I dont have this "mystery light" coming on that you speak of though.

I'll keep you guys posted if I fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Its most likely the connector. Unplug it and try hsoing it down first with Carb cleaner, and then with WD40 and then reconnect it. If you keep gettign the codes, REPLACE it.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

it's not a mystery light; you know what it is.

I suspect, having cleared the condition, the light went out, but the "code" sticks until reset with an official saturn scan tool, or the battery is disconnected.

It is something your car will do to narc on you for abuse when you go in for warantee work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 AM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
it's not a mystery light; you know what it is.

I suspect, having cleared the condition, the light went out, but the "code" sticks until reset with an official saturn scan tool, or the battery is disconnected.

It is something your car will do to narc on you for abuse when you go in for warantee work.
Sorry but wrong. The "active" SES code will self clear (ligh twill go out) when the PCM "sees" the previous part that caused the SES light to come on pass muster 4 out of 5 times 5 times in a row. (Or someting like that) Stored "history" codes (they don't set the SES light) Self clear after 500 ignition cycles with no repeat performance (failure) of the same part.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
Tempsho

Well, it didnt self clear. And yes, I do have access to a OBDII code scanner. (pretty good relationship with my mechanic which is nice) I disconnected the battery, then cleared the code but it still comes up. Even after I installed a brand new connector from the dealership. Still getting those 2 codes, low voltage and low signal from the coolant sensor.

I suspect it might be either:
a) wrong sensor (it does have 2 pins, but it looks different than the ones you guys install)
b) bad sensor
c) im not plugging the clip all the way in

Anything else I can check out guys?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I'd go with bad sensor. You probably got it aftermarket. They usually work fine, but they'll have a higher DOA rate than OEM. The connector goes on wth a snap. I doubt you didn't get it on all the way.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

>>You probably got it aftermarket. They usually work fine, but they'll have a higher DOA rate than OEM.<<

Based on what statistical evidence now?

People buy aftermarket and have a problem, they assume it is the part and return it.

People buy OEM and have a problem, it must be something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Tempsho

the replacement ECTS I have is an AC Delco part. The only difference is that the tip is flat, not rounded like ive seen in other pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempsho
the replacement ECTS I have is an AC Delco part. The only difference is that the tip is flat, not rounded like ive seen in other pictures.
Why didn't you go to a Saturn dealership and get the part there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
sl2collector

being that he own's a saturn, mabye he's not into wasting money.
I don't see why the aftermarket part is any different. They both made in mexico.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sl2collector reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
Old_Coot
Old_Coot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2collector
They both made in mexico.

All the more reason to question the quality control and replace it again....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old_Coot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old_Coot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old_Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Tempsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
Why didn't you go to a Saturn dealership and get the part there?
Is AC Delco not original GM OEM replacement? Im hoping it isnt because then I will buy right from the dealership and hopefully it fixes my problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
sl2collector

as far as I know, all the brass senders have the square end, I don't know what the spec is, but using an ohmmeter, you can test the resistance to confirm the sender bad or good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #19
Tempsho

What resistance should I get? Or would the resistance through the probe vary depending on the temperature of the coolant. (which im guessing is how that ects works is on variable resistance)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL

There is a resistance chart here:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8019a036.jsp

Not exactly a precision part. I think you could spot check it at room temp. Use hot water if you want to check another point.

I doubt your problem is the sensor. I think it is somewhere in the wiring. You may want to measure the resistance seen at the wires attaching to the computer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote