SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
dsylvester1
dsylvester1 is on a distinguished road

Default New Guy needs help....

Hi all,
I'm trying to help my Mother in law with a RKE problem with her '96 SL2. I beleive the RKE is faulty and sending intermittent but insufficent voltage to the relays. This causes the soleniods to randomly chatter. Each of the doors will chatter for a while and then another takes over. They don't lock or unlock. Once they stop chattering, pushing either Lock or Unlock starts them up again. I've swapped out the relays and I have currently removed the fuse to stop the chatter, but I would like to temporarily disconnect the RKE to verify it is or is not the culprit. Unforunately I have no idea where it is located in the 96 SL2. I've read the posts on this site and I've looked at some repair manuals in the Library but they don't tell me the lacation on the RKE Module, Just the electrical wiring to it. I'm a retired Electronic Engineer and I should have not trouble diagnosing the problem once I locate all the parts. Could use some direction. Thanks,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dsylvester1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dsylvester1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dsylvester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: New Guy needs help....

RKE? do you meam the BCM? Body Control Module, that's what controls the door locks and such. I believe it is behind the passenger side dash panel behind the airbag, but I'm not completely certain. Retired Electronic Engineer eh? I'm a soon to be one. Graduation is in a little over a year.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Old_Coot
Old_Coot is on a distinguished road

If I had to guess, I would say a bad fuse arcing in its socket, but thats just a guess, or a bad/loose ground to the relays...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old_Coot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old_Coot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old_Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
sunshn1972
sunshn1972 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

RKE = remote keyless entry

This space intentionally left blank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sunshn1972's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sunshn1972 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sunshn1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshn1972
RKE = remote keyless entry
Oh, gotcha. I don't know where that is if it's separate from the BCM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

AFAIK, '96s didn't have a BCM.

Sly, try this test. Open up the fob, and be ready to pop out the battery. Activate it, so the locks start going haywire, then pop the battery out of the remote. If the chattering stops, the problem is the transmitter; probably gunked up between the button pad and the circuit board containing the contacts. You can clean them several times, but I have eventually worn a couple out. Fortunately you can get replacements cheap via eBay (just match the FCC #, and make sure it has at least the buttons you need). And for the '96, it's easy to re-program the fobs.

Is this happening only at a particular location? Could there be some other source sending conflicting signals to the RKE? Are you able to receive shortwave radio via the fillings in your teeth at the location where this is happening?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

You can simply pull the LOCK fuse from the IN CAR fuse box, but this will disable the PDL altogether. 96' had NO BCM. The RKE/Security module is located behind the REAR PASSENGER seat side bolster. (The little cushion between the seat and the door opening..it - the bolster- just pops off) DO NOT just disconnect the RKE/Security module wiring harness, or you may wind up with a car that will not start.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #8
dsylvester1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Coot
If I had to guess, I would say a bad fuse arcing in its socket, but thats just a guess, or a bad/loose ground to the relays...

Thanks! But I think in the case of a bad fuse or Loose ground the chattering would stop when the lock or unlock button was release. with no buttons pushed the relays disengage ( or try to) and power is removed to the relay coils. However, Power is still being applied from somewhere and barring a short (which seems unlikely because the problem stops when the fuse is removed) the RKE is the only culprit. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dsylvester1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
dsylvester1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
You can simply pull the LOCK fuse from the IN CAR fuse box, but this will disable the PDL altogether. 96' had NO BCM. The RKE/Security module is located behind the REAR PASSENGER seat side bolster. (The little cushion between the seat and the door opening..it - the bolster- just pops off) DO NOT just disconnect the RKE/Security module wiring harness, or you may wind up with a car that will not start.
Thanks Wolfman, I'll look there for the module. According tho the wiring diagrams the only other functions in the RKE in 1996 is the door chime, Deck lid, and dome light. It receives an input from the Ign in (start or run) so it knows when to sound the chime. But I'll be careful while diagnosing the problem. She's doing ok with the fuse pulled out for now but I don't like to leave things half done. Thanks again. Sly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
dsylvester1

Hi All, Well I fixed it. The Drivers side door Lock/Unlock switch was broken. I took it apart and made a new piece for it and all is well. The switch was stuck in the lock position (spring loaded pin in center of rocker piece)so the Lock relay was always engaged. When ever either switch was pushed it started it chattering. Thanks for everyones input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!