SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
Mustang46L
Mustang46L is on a distinguished road

Default Oil Type

What kind of oil do you all use in your cars? I have a 97 SC2, and I run it hard. If I put synthetic in will it be worth it? I put synthetic blend in for $2/qt but I wanted to know how much better pure synthetic is and if it is worth the price. Also, what should I use? I've been using 5w30.. good choice??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustang46L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustang46L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

IMO, it's good enough to put in Syn-blend if you stick with 3k oil change level.

In fact you may yield the similar result by using Dyno oil as long as you change oil in 3k interval no matter what, though Syn-blend will give you better feeling your engine is running on good stuff......

Pure Syn oil will give you the best, but you need a deeper pocket to compensate though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:01 PM   #3
Bar(long a)
Bar(long a) is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

For my 99SC2: Mobil1 5W30 every 3kmi or 3 months.

I have used Mobil 1 since 1990. Last ride had over 150k mi with no motor probs.

The extra cost for the syn oil (+$8/change, $32/yr) is far, far less than a new/rebuilt motor/ innards.

However, I do think you'll be fine usin' dino just as long as you stick to the 3/3 rule. I used dino for many moons also with no motor probs actually doin' the 2500 mi/3 mo rule.

Mobil1's race reputation along with my having the opportunity to see dynamic test results while working on Amoco Ultimate's improvement team in the late 80s convinced me to switch.

Good luck in your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bar(long a)'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bar(long a) reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:05 PM   #4
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

Mobil 1 Synthetic...there is no substitute.

Every 3,000 miles or so...but I've gone beyond the 3 months (never long enough for the "change oil" light to come on), because the time spec assumes you're doing a lot of driving (i.e., hours of operation) but not a lot of miles (i.e., stop and go, slow speeds, lots of idling). Mt car just doesn't get driven all that much (goin' on 2 yrs old, just over 13,000 miles!).

Mobil 1 provides the best protection under ALL conditions. Of course, use 5W-30 year round, as recommended. You CAN use 10W-30 in hot weather, but why reduce cold engine oil flow at startup, where most engine wear occurs?! 5W-30 always!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:44 PM   #5
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Thumbs Down

Regardless of which way you go,use a good quality dino or 100% synthetic.
The syn blends have so little syn in them that they are a waste of money. If you don't believe me,ask the oil company what the % by volume of syn is in a quart of their 'syn-blend'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:53 PM   #6
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30.

When I finally replace my warhorse, the new car will get Mobil 1 full synthetic. That stuff sounds too good to pass up (unless your engine is closer to 200K mi. than 150K mi. and putting synth in would make it leak like a sieve).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:47 AM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Dino oil is fine. Just change the oil depending on your drivining conditions. I had a 1993 Geo Prizm that was running great when I traded it in and never used any oil between changes. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles. Here is Saturns take (on the web page):

I put this in every post asking about syn's

Saturn does not recommend or endorse synthetic oil. While it is acceptable to use synthetic oil in a Saturn (so long as the synthetic oil has the API "starburst" symbol and is either SAE 5W-30 or, if the temperature in your area will not be going below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, SAE 10W-30), it is still necessary to follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Please refer to your Owner's Handbook or contact your retail facility for your specific maintenance schedule. Oil changes are necessary because oil not only cools and lubricates the engine, but it also cleans the engine of dirt and contaminants.

Synthetic oil picks up dirt and foreign matter just as any oil does and will continue to carry this foreign matter through the engine. Many people believe that longer periods of mileage and time are acceptable between synthetic oil changes. This increases the amount of time contaminants are circulated through the engine.

Saturn Corporation cannot be held responsible for damage to the engine resulting from the effects of failing to use the recommended oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:12 AM   #8
ricksLS1
Master Member

PS The GEO had 140,000 miles when I traded it in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

Dino is just fine if changed regularly, but synth can give you a little bit more help in the long term. If you plan to swap cars every few years, there isn't much point in the pricier synthetic, but if you want to drive it till it breaks in half, it may be worth it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2002, 05:48 PM   #10
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

No doubt the Pure-Sync oil will let your engine holds up well in long run, but nothing is coming without a price. They're near 4x more expensive each Quart and doing it every 3k miles will drive up the cost of ownership linearly....

Of course that's depended on how much you like/love your car. Like Phil said if you swap cars every few years, that's not much concern about putting Pure Sync in.....not otherwise if you drive it til the wheels fall off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:18 AM   #11
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

RicksLS1;

When Iwas checking out use of synthetic oil in my 2000 LS2,I got a similarly worded reply from Saturn. However,instead of your first sentence, I was told...."Saturn does not recommend or endorse any specific brand of synthetic or non-synthetic oil." This is slightly different meaning,IMHO.

Indeed,Saturn has in fact recommended using syn oil in L Series from day 1 in one particular case. At page 301 in Handbook in section dealing with kind of oil to use,there is following----"if you are in an area where temp falls below -20F,consider using either an SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil or an 0W-30 oil."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2002, 12:23 PM   #12
DAL
DAL is on a distinguished road

I use 20W50 in my 1993 SL2. Mind you though, it has 234K on the engine (and clutch--see my tirade on another thread about the dwindling choices for a clutch!).

Brand doesn't matter to me. Maybe it should, but it's worked great for me close to 10 years now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DAL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DAL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
SaturnSid
SaturnSid is on a distinguished road

Mobil One, untill the motor is so old, it starts leaking fron the seals.....then I use regular oil......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2002, 02:03 PM   #14
ricksLS1
Master Member

I cut and pasted from the Saturn Web Page

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2002, 01:45 AM   #15
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

My $0.02:

Use regular 5w30 unless you've turbo'd or are constantly revving the poor beast.

Mobil drive clean is cheap and I figure they ought to know how to make an oil (since they invented synthetic).

I used 5w30 until I hit 100k, then switched to 10w30. I've got the dreaded oil burn though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2002, 08:48 PM   #16
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

MOBIL ONE and nothing else. No way no how.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2002, 04:23 PM   #17
bdunn
bdunn is on a distinguished road

My 95 SL has 154kmi and has been using 5W-30 from the get go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdunn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdunn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread