SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
HomeBase
HomeBase is on a distinguished road

Default 04 Vue Honda V6 - How much trans fluid is in your trans?

I changed the trans fluid in our Vue V6 this past summer. I forgot to look at the dipstick to see where I'd start from. Where I ended up at was the dipstick right at the low mark, when the engine is cold (and of course, when the car is level). Is your Vue V6 dipstick showing more or less when cold?

Is there any advantage to checking it when warm? We check the motor oil when the engine is cold to ensure that all of it is in the pan, why not do the same with the trans fluid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HomeBase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HomeBase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HomeBase is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
dogturd21
dogturd21 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 04 Vue Honda V6 - How much trans fluid is in your trans?

The manual states very clearly how to check the trans fluid; it should be done when warm, engine running at idle. This is fairly standard for auto trans from just about all manufacturers.

If you are checking it cold, and the level is right at the low mark, then it is probably at about 1/4 to 1/3 above the low mark when warm, which means you are still low (although within the acceptable range). You should make the effort to bring it to full when warm.

As to WHY it should be checked when warm, I am not really sure, except that for some reason the oil or something in the trans expands, causing the level to rise. I have rebuilt a few GM trans, and I have to admit I still don't understand the expansion process. You can check engine oil either warm or cold, as long as you follow the procedures in the manual, which is usually wait a few minutes after shutoff for oil to drain back into the pan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dogturd21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dogturd21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dogturd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Troubleshooter
Troubleshooter is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 RELAY-3

Not to upset the apple cart, however on our 2004 AWD Automatic Transaxle with the 3.5L V6 engine, the manual is very clear on how to do it.
Page 5-26 of the owners manual gives the method of how to do it.
Please Note: on this engine/transaxle, you check the transmission fluid with the engine OFF...............
I know it sounds strange, as every automatic transmission I have ever owned required the fluid level be checked with engine running and tranny in PARK.
Not so with this engine/tranny combo, according to the book.

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Troubleshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Troubleshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 AM   #4
HomeBase
HomeBase is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!

The owner's manual for our 2004 Vue is simply wrong about the trans dipstick location. The manual writers probably didn't have the right info at press time. I bought mine right after the word got out about the Honda drivetrain in late '03.

Seeing that they couldn't get the dipstick location right in the owner's manual, I'm hesitant to believe much else in the manual about the trans,either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HomeBase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HomeBase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HomeBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #5
dogturd21

Huh, I was WRONG about this....for 3.5, engine is OFF but warm. Looks like I have to recheck mine now...

here is the process from the Owners Manual that I have on CD: However, I want to check to see if there is an update somewhere...

Checking the Fluid Level (Automatic Transaxle with 3.5L V6 Engine)
Prepare your vehicle as follows:

Park your vehicle on a level place.
Warm the engine to normal operating temperature until the electric radiator fan turns on at least once.
With the parking brake applied, place the shift lever in PARK (P).
With your foot on the brake pedal, move the shift lever through each gear range, pausing for about three seconds in each range. Then, position the shift lever in PARK (P).
Then, turn off the engine and, follow these steps:

The transaxle fluid dipstick handle is the yellow loop. See Engine Compartment Overview for more information on location.

Pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a clean rag or paper towel.
Push it back in all the way, wait three seconds and then pull it back out again.
Check both sides of the dipstick, and read the lower level. The fluid level must be between the upper mark and the lower mark.
If the fluid level is in the acceptable range, push the dipstick back in all the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dogturd21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
saturnkam
saturnkam is on a distinguished road

I have a 2004 V6 Vue, I can find the Trans. fluid dipstick, but where do you add fluid at? The dipstick hole seems too small to use for adding fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnkam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnkam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #7
dogturd21

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnkam
I have a 2004 V6 Vue, I can find the Trans. fluid dipstick, but where do you add fluid at? The dipstick hole seems too small to use for adding fluid.
There is a fill bolt on top of the transmission, sort of below the throttle body. It requires a large socket (17,19,21mm I forget, maybe larger) and a long extension. You will need a funnel with a long tube. In order to reach it, you will have to remove the plastic intake pipe and filter, which is actually easy. Watch out you do not misplace the fill bolt washer, or drain bolt washers.

Draining and refilling the trans is actually easy, provided you have the right funnel and have located the fill port and dip stick. The owners manual is wrong or misleading for the 3.5. It took me 30 minutes to find the fill and dipstick, but only 15 to change it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
saturnkam
saturnkam is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnkam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnkam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

What you can do if you don't want to mess taking the intake pipe and filter off is to use a plastic hose of 3/8" ID connected to the dipstick port and your funnel.

I have done through the weekend. Filling time through the dipstick is as fast as you can empty the bottle. All and all. I believe that it took me about 15 minutes or less from the start of draining to refilling the fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blackbeauty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blackbeauty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blackbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
05stnVue
05stnVue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

As A chevy tech and a VUE owner make sure you use the correct fluid. any other atf fluid will cause the transmission to fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05stnVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05stnVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05stnVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
kfraney
kfraney is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stnVue
As A chevy tech and a VUE owner make sure you use the correct fluid. any other atf fluid will cause the transmission to fail.
Are you saying, make sure you use the Honda atf?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kfraney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kfraney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kfraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #12
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfraney
Are you saying, make sure you use the Honda atf?
NO. He is saying to use a fluid that meets the HONDA Z1 specification. It is critical to the life of the Honda trans. You can certanly use Honda brand if you wish, but any brand will do IF it meets the Z1 spec. My personal favorite is Amsoil ATF. Z1 is listed right on the side of the bottle. BTW Dexron DOES NOT meet the spec.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David Harleyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #13
dogturd21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson
NO. He is saying to use a fluid that meets the HONDA Z1 specification. It is critical to the life of the Honda trans. You can certanly use Honda brand if you wish, but any brand will do IF it meets the Z1 spec. My personal favorite is Amsoil ATF. Z1 is listed right on the side of the bottle. BTW Dexron DOES NOT meet the spec.
I also use the Amsoil ATF which is Z1 rated. If you do a trans oil change (3.5 V6 auto), it will take -about- 4.0 to 4.2 quarts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2006, 04:54 AM   #14
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson
NO. He is saying to use a fluid that meets the HONDA Z1 specification. BTW Dexron DOES NOT meet the spec.
Dexron VI does meet spec, and it was just recently released to the dealers....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote