SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
alleycat
alleycat is on a distinguished road

Dizzy timing chain replaced

I Just Replaced The Timing Chain,teninors And Gulids As Well As Gears In My 1992 Sl2 Saturn. When I Start It There Is A Clicking Noise. Could It Be The Teninors Or Something Else. Someone Please Help Me!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleycat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleycat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Default Re: timing chain replaced

Did you pull the pin out of the new t-e-n-s-i-o-n-e-r?? There is a plastic pin in it that you need to pull out before you put the front cover on, if you didn't, the tensioner won't pump up, the chain will be slack and it will be noisy. Depending on how long your engine was aaprt, a lifter may have lost pressure also, in that case let it run for 20-30 minutes and it will pump back up and the noise will be gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
alleycat

Thank You Saturntech!!!!!!!!!!

I Didnt Release Anything So Could It Be The Plunger That Moves In And Out I Just Stuck It In.i Thought It Moved By Itself. Could That Be It? Also Would There Be A Pin If Its A Used Part?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alleycat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

When I read your post, I thought the same thing SaturnTech did. You used used parts for a timing chain??? If so, and you just stuck the tensioner on, it's probably fully extended and it shouldn't be. I would think that would tear up the tensioner, but I'm not sure.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
SaturnTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat
Thank You Saturntech!!!!!!!!!!

I Didnt Release Anything So Could It Be The Plunger That Moves In And Out I Just Stuck It In.i Thought It Moved By Itself. Could That Be It? Also Would There Be A Pin If Its A Used Part?
Why in the world would you use used parts for a timing chain??? You can buy a kit right from Saturn that includes ALL new parts....If you compressed the tensioner and you didn't use anything to keep it compressed while you installed it and it didn't take the slack out of the chain when you installed everything, you've got a bad tensioner. On the few occasions I have had to reuse tensioners (originals) when they are compressed you need to insert a pin into it so that it doesn't extend all the way out before you reinstall it. I think you should tell us everything you did and why and then go from there to find the cause of the trouble.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
charcoal
charcoal is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I'm Charcoal.
I just completed a full rebuild of my '94 SC1 SOHC...
Let me share my *fresh* eyes with y'all..
This specimen had 83,453 miles on the original parts with a #2 rod knock, and the plastic chain guides disintegrated on contact with tools. The oil fed tensioner ($32 at Saturn) has a small plastic over metal foot that had broke in half and is not sold separate. The chain guide set new costs about $30 for left/right sides. I bought mine at a FLAPS (non NAPA) and is worth the investment because the SOHC engine will eat the valves if the chain breaks.
I would surmise the plastic compound used in '94 and pre-years is the same pale brown material (polysulphone?) and is prone to failure; it crumbles after years and heat. Beware! The newer compound is black.

If you used a used tensioner, then it would NOT have the cute little forked yellow plastic chock used to hold the tensioner foot back, and if you didnt follow the manual's suggestion to retract fully the foot (and chock it with a 1/8 drill bit) then the foot was probably fully extended when you installed it.
Did you check the stretch length of the chain while you had it out? It should be just over 16.5 inches maximum...
This may not be the source of your ticking sounds.

Furthermore,
Since this specimen had eaten its #2 crank journal and bearing, there were a multitude of metallic bits throughout the engine. Some of this was distributed through the hydraulic valve lifters. I opened and cleaned each of these individually. I discovered that you can quickly judge the condition of the engine simply by opening one of the lifters (#4 preferably as it is LAST in the lubrication gallery sequence) and empty the lifter's oil onto a rag and counting the particles. I found a nearly equal distribution within each lifter.
The color of the oil and presence of sludge in the lifter bottom is another life cycle care indicator.

Best 'o luck
Charcoal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charcoal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charcoal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #7
alleycat

hi all I put the timing 12 oclock on each side TDC alignment marks to make it at where the timing i started to turn engine over and it won 't start. i put the gas pedal the floor and it started too back fire out the air filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
alleycat

Help Me Please///////////////////////////////

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
stanleyr
stanleyr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat
hi all I put the timing 12 oclock on each side TDC alignment marks to make it at where the timing i started to turn engine over and it won 't start. i put the gas pedal the floor and it started too back fire out the air filter

So you lined up the cam gear indictor dimples with the timing chain's colored links with the two colored adjacent links at the bottom of the crank gear and all that?

And now you crank the engine and it no longer clicks, it just backfires?

Did you doublecheck your ignition wires to make sure you didn't cross up two of them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stanleyr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stanleyr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stanleyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
stanleyr

1992 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

On second thought, I don't think you could possibly put the chain on unless you fully retracted the tensioner, which you claimed you didn't do. So there may be some really unusual issues with your installation: slack chain, missing guides or something...

Did you take any photos of what you did with the front cover off?

Maybe someone can post or refer you to some details of what the tensioner, guides and chain installation should look like. Would that help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stanleyr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
alleycat

So If Did;t Put Colored Links What Will Happin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no colored links at the right spot=bent valves...

you should tear it down and get the timing right (or at least double check it), and then do a compression test...

I wouldn't be surprised it your valves are toast...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #13
alleycat

Ok On The Timing Chain Ther Is 2 Links That Are The Same Colored I No That I Did't Put Them A The Bottom . I Will Do That To Night Thanks Thats Why It;s Not Runing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
stanleyr

1992 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

The stock chain should have 4 colored links. 2 of them are adjacent to each other, the other two are far apart.

When it is all assembled, the two adjacent will be at the bottom of the crank gear, and the other two will each line up with the indicator dimple or hole on the cam gears somewhere near the 12 o'clock position. The crank gear also has an indicator on it that should line up with a mark on the block casting at the 12 o'clock position, if I remember correctly.

Aren't you using some sort of reference manual with pictures or drawings to guide you through this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
alleycat

OK i FOUND THE FOUR MAKS ON THE STOCK CHAIN I HAVE IT BESIDE ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
alleycat

Dizzy Re: timing chain replaced

OK i FOUND THE FOUR MAKS ON THE STOCK CHAIN I HAVE IT BESIDE ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
alleycat

If The Valves Or Bent How Hard Is The Job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #18
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Probably best to just get a new head. There's a guy that is selling them on Ebay that others have had good experiences with. That's assuming the pistons aren't damaged. I'd also suggest you get a Chiltons or Haynes manual and follow the directions. All that we are telling you and more is available there.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #19
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Before he gets a new head, he should get a shop manual.....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #20
SaturnTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Before he gets a new head, he should get a shop manual.....
.......and a dictionary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!