SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Pandu
Pandu is on a distinguished road

Question Idle at 2500rpm and a Code P0341... Any clues?

I've got a 98 SC2, 5-speed. Sometimes it idles normal, around 900 rpm, but usually it revs up to about 2500 rpm. It's a problem that's gradually developed over the past few months (I've only had the car for a few months, but I didn't see it until after a few weeks).

I plugged a code reader in, and got a P0341. I wonder if the code may have anything to do with this idle problem. If not, then I haven't noticed any symptoms related to the code.

Is there anyone out there who can share some relevant knowledge so I can get the idle down to normal? Thanks a lot.

- Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pandu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pandu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pandu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Idle at 2500rpm and a Code P0341... Any clues?

P0341 is a camshaft sensor code. Oddly enough these cars don't have a camshaft sensor. It's caused by an ignition problem. sierrap615 posted an excellent guide on diagnosing the problem. Click here to see it. I can't say whether it's the cause of you high idle, but it's where I'd start.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

High idle----spray or clean your throttle body and IAC with carb cleaner. That's more than likely the problem. Directions for taking the throttle body off, if you want to, is in the "How To" section.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Pandu

Wrench Re: Idle at 2500rpm and a Code P0341... Any clues?

OK, I removed the IAC and cleaned it w/ carb cleaner, and also cleaned inside the throttle body (the main opening and the port for the IAC). The engine seems to maybe run a little smoother, but the problem still exists basically unchanged.

The only thing distinctly different is that now my code reader says "no codes." I don't know why. However, it still idles at about 2200 rpm. Sometimes it's normal, but mostly it's up in the 2000's.

I checked the voltage going to the IAC, and it was about 10. I wonder if there could be something wrong with the IAC itself, but this is my first time looking at one of these so I'm mostly guessing. There's quite a lot of suction going through the oval hole near the bottom in the throttle body. It idles much better when I 95% plug it with my finger.

Thanks in advance for more help...

- Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pandu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
striider
striider is on a distinguished road

You may have vacuum leaks. Make sure the torx bolts that hold your throttle body together are tight (there are 2 on my SW1 inside the throttle body, easily seen from the top). Also, check the condition of the PCV valve and the attached tube running to it from the intake manifold. Rubber Boots and the rigid plastic vacuum tubung from the back of your throttle body can also get holes in them, check em out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to striider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help striider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
striider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Pandu

I made a preliminary check for vacuum loss, but it was beginning to get dark so I'm going to check again today. However, another thing is that there's a significant oil leak under the valve cover. It's lost a quart since I changed the oil two weeks ago. It seems to me that the poor seal under the valve cover could also be a source of a vacuum leak and maybe the cause of the problem. Does that make sense?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!