SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
EricSaturnSC2
EricSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Help! My 2000 SC2 wont start!

Background: I have a 2000 Saturn SC2 Coupe. ~84,000 miles.

Today, I had a dentist appt and had to drive to my old dentist to pick up my x-rays and records to take to my new dentist. I drove all the way across town, and the car was perfectly fine. It started just fine, everything. I go into my old dentist, wasnt in there for more than two minutes and come out. I try to start my car. Starts, but slowly. I back out of my parking spot into the street, put it in drive to go forward and *dead*. I try to start the car again. No go. Again. Again. No go. Some nice very large man helps me push it out of the way.

I go to my dentist appointment and come back to try to check out the car with my dad. Still cant get it to start. It cranks just fine, but will NOT start.

I just got back from having the car towed to the local Saturn dealership, but Saturn is closed until Morning... and so I thought I would post on here and see if anyone could suggest things to try before Saturn checks it out for themselves in the morning.

The one thing we did try is my dad checked the fuses to see if any had blown, and none had. The ones under the hood and the ones inside the car. All were just fine and had not blown.

I dont know if this is related, nor did my dad, but when we left the car the first time, I used my remote-keyless-entry to lock the car. I could hear the locks LOCKING, but the horn wouldnt sound... ya know, if you hit it twice, it'll lock then the horn will sound to confirm that the alarm is set. I tried over and over and it wouldnt go..but I was able to verify the doors had locked.

I'm a bit distraught. heh. My pristine car is having issues. I've had her for right at two years now and havnt had a single problem...I guess I was spoiled. All I've done to her is the regular maintenance...and Saturn has done everything. They did just replace a belt that was worn and squeely, and they cleaned the fuel system back in March or so when they replaced my tires, they said it was time for that. Otherwise, they've said she's in perfect health for a girl her age and milage...

Thanks in Advance!
--Eric Holt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EricSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EricSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
dave.sl
Advanced Member
dave.sl has a spectacular aura aboutdave.sl has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Help! My 2000 SC2 wont start!

I am trying to get a handle on the symptoms but it seems the car is doing several different things at different times. If is was just a crank but no start condition, I would suspect the crank position sensor if that happened when the car was warm. Slow crank could be a number of things but I would check the electrical connections like battery cables,starter connection etc. to see if they are clean and tight. Finally in my experience, a weak start then dying when you start to drive away or hit the brake pedal is a very weak battery. Did the alt/batt light on the dash come on when the car was running. If you check the voltage across the pos/neg terminals, you will probably get a reading of 13 3/4 to 14 volts if the system is charging properly. Saturn should be able to diagnose this pretty easily. Hopefully its not the starter since that will be the most expensive repair. Not real likely its the starter if it cranked normally and just didn't start unless you have one bad high spot on it. If was a bad alternator, you would have had the dash indicator light come on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave.sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave.sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
EricSaturnSC2

2001 SC2

Well, Saturn says its the fuel pump going bad. Funny thing is, after it sat all night, the tech at Saturn was able to turn it on and drive it into the shop just fine from the parking lot. They tested it... the battery is weak also, so they're going to replace that for me also, but after they got to further investigation they found that the fuel pump was going.

Seems a bit premature for the fuel pump to go, no? Its a 2000...so its only 5 maybe 6 years old depending on when it was driven off the lot the first time.

Pricey repair, too... Gotta love cars sometimes. But, this is the first major issue I've had with the car since I got it two years ago.....so, knock on wood?

--Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EricSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

When you turn the key to ON (don't crank it!), if you can hear the hissing sound for 3-4 seconds then stop, the fuel pump is working fine.

Your car can crank but won't start, it probably just entered to the FLOOD mode. It's not unusual but it does happen on the Saturn. Try this next time if your car won't start: Press the GAS all the way to the floor and hold there while cranking the motor. It should feel like starting because this is the way to clear the flood mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
EricSaturnSC2

2001 SC2

Ugh, what a day. My Saturn Dealership incorrectly diagnosed the problem. They said Fuel Pump...so I let them go ahead and replace it.

I had to leave straight from the dealership to go out of town, as I had a prior engagement I was already late for. I got 25 miles outside of town and what does the car do? Dies, as I'm driving right along. Kaput. Off to the side of the road I went.

First call I made was to Saturn. I spoke to the service manager who had handled my car. I told him what was happening. He relayed the info to the tech who worked on my car. "*****", he said. Yes. "*****", Literally.

The service manager gives me the number of a towing service, and says that Saturn will cover my towing bill, which I expected, but was nice to know that he brought it right up without me having to ask or suggest so. I wait around, the truck gets there, hitches me all up (the first haul I got the other day was on the back of a flatbed... this guy, unfortunately, hauled me behind his wrecker... Sigh...).

I get it to Saturn at 5:20. The service manager had waited around for me, knowing I was coming. He said the tech was coming in on his day off, Saturday (tomorrow) to work on the car again. He would call me immediately when they knew something. He then gave me the keys to the car to dealership uses to drive customers to their destinations when they are getting their cars serviced... and told me to keep it for the weekend, if I wasnt able to pick my car up on Saturday. Definately a nice gesture...

The loaner, btw... is an 2001 L100. Not a bad car, really. Much larger of a car than I'm used to and personally like...but hey, it'll do for a cpl days.

*Sigh* So, now I wait once again for the dreaded call from Saturn, telling me how much MORE I gotta spend to get this fixed. I just hope they figure it out CORRECTLY this time around... If I get stranded on the side of the road a third time, I dont know if I'll ever be able to trust my baby again.

Thats my story... what a day. Blech!
--Eric Holt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
EricSaturnSC2

2001 SC2

Well, just to keep this thread current, the latest news...

Saturn called me yesterday, after the tech had re-checked the car out and figured out what the problem was. Their initial diagnosis of the Fuel Pump was correct, but the tech messed-up when fixing it. He said something about the gasket that surrounds the connection to the fuel pump had become bunched-up and so there wasnt a tight fit, and it came loose as I was driving, which killed power to the fuel pump. The tech reconnected everything and they say, once again, my car is ready to be picked up and is all good to go.

We shall see. I was out of town on Saturday so I wasnt able to get it, so I'll have to wait until first thing on Monday to go pick it up. The service manager that called me didnt say if I was going to be charged any additional $ to re-fix the techs mistakes...I'm assuming *no*, but, we'll see how they play it.

I really hope that was the final problem, and its really fixed now. I missed my car this weekend and I'll be very glad to have her back.

--Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Brian2MN
Brian2MN is on a distinguished road

Don't think I'm nuts......just try this if you have this problem again.....turn your ignition on, or try to. Open the engine compartment fuse box and reset your oil switch. See if that works. Read my post below to see what happened in my case......i've fixed a similar problem to this by resetting the oil switch in the past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brian2MN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brian2MN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
fogdrive
fogdrive is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I would get a fuel pump relay and have it handy. If the car dies after leaving the dealership, then swap in the new relay and see what happens. Your relay might be experiencing a "hot short" condition; that means the relay shorts out when warm, not cold. It is rare (they usually just quit working at all), but that might be your original problem all along.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fogdrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fogdrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
EricSaturnSC2

2001 SC2

fogdrive: I'll consider that, thanks for the tip. I'll be kinda upset if they changed the fuel pump and all it ends up being was a relay... Hopefully I wont have to worry about it any longer...but, just incase...

For SaturnParts.net, does anyone know the part # of the fuel relay so I could look it up? I'll post a reply after I pick up my car in the morning and let everyone know how its running... I intend to drive it around for quite a while close to home, in circles, LOL -- just to give myself a sense of safety

Thanks!
--ESH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread