SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Events
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Tail of the Dragon/Saturn Car Show, Knoxville TN, July 8-10

Alright guys, this is the SAME MEET that was previously being discussed in the "Largest Unofficial Saturn Gathering" thread. I moved it to a new thread because people who just started in to the old thread would have to read through a lot of different ideas and thoughts and will probably get really confused by the time they reach the end.

Also, by putting 'Tail of the Dragon' real big in the title, I'm hoping to attract a little more attention to this meet.

For those of us who are just joining us, we will be having a large all-Saturn meet on July 8-10, 2005 in Knoxville Tennessee. We will be having a car show and cookout, hopefully a trip to the drag strip, and a group caravan through the Tail of the Dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com for more information).

Our Tail of the Dragon date has been made 'official' and has been added to the official Tail of the Dragon events calendar (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/calendar.html).

ALL Saturn owners and lovers are invited. That's right, you don't have to own a Saturn to come, as long as you're a fan of the cars! We will have people from all over the country - and even some of our international friends! - attending this meet, so don't miss out!

And now, to include those of you who have been following the planning stages - I have not yet heard back from the hotel I was hoping to make arrangements with. I will be calling both the hotel and Saturn of Knoxville as soon as they're open today.

I'm still looking for people who live in or around Knoxville who can help out with scouting locations and drumming up local support. If you or someone you know lives in Knoxville, let me know!

Remember that the website for the meet is http://www.redlineion.com/meet and it is updated frequently with new information.

If you are planning to attend, please be sure to register. The directions on how to register are at the website (click on the 'register' button on the left side of the site), along with what information you need to send.

By registering for the event, you will be added to the mailing list so that all future information will be mailed directly to you, saving you the extra hassle of having to check this thread each day. Registration is not a binding contract - if something comes up at the last minute, no sweat - but we ask that you only register if you are fairly sure you will be attending, so that our head counts aren't skewed. Registrations will also help me because I will be able to give hotels an estimated number of out-of-town attendees so that we can get a group discount rate.

Currently there is NO FEE required to attend this meet. Only the costs incurred to you in transportation to and from the meet, and lodging. If we can not get ample sponsorship, there may be entry fees for the car show or we may ask for donations to help cover the cost of food, but we are hoping to get sponsorship to help us defray these costs.

Remember - tell your friends! Tell strangers you see on the street! Tell everyone who loves Saturns that they need to get over to the website - www.redlineion.com/meet - and check this thing out!

Thank you everyone for the time and support. We can make this thing amazing!

- Kat Jones
Organizer of the Largest Unofficial Saturn Gathering
kat@redlineion.com

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Tail of the Dragon/Saturn Car Show, Knoxville TN, July 8-10

I made a couple flyers if you want to hand them out. They look great printed in black and white as well as color, so you don't have to use all your color ink.

Distribute these wisely! Don't spam people by leaving them on every Saturn windshield you see. Try to hand them out only if you can make contact with the person rather than just leaving it anonymously.

I'll be making more flyers with pictures of the Tail of the Dragon. I've asked on their forums if anyone had some really excellent shots that embodied the 'essence' of the Dragon, so hopefully I'll get some good responses and good pictures to use on our flyers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf flyer1.pdf (46.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf flyer2.pdf (75.6 KB, 10 views)

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Two more flyer designs, using pictures of the Tail of the Dragon provided by Darryl Cannon, a.k.a. Killboy, of www.killboy.com.

Please distribute these to fellow Saturn owners!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf flyer3.pdf (98.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf flyer4.pdf (42.4 KB, 9 views)

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Okay guys, I'm absolutely bursting with excitement right now. I've been on the phone for the past 1/2 hour with several people in Knoxville and got some great information to give you guys!

We have group reservations set for a discounted rate of $57 a night at a superb hotel. In order to get the information on how to get this rate, you MUST register. I'm kinda holding the information hostage to get you guys to register! The cut off date for the hotel reservations at this rate is June 17th. However, if you reserve the room and find out you can't go, you can cancel up until 6 pm the date of your planned arrival at no fee. You do not have to pay for the room in advance, so it's really to your best advantage to go ahead and get it while you can. As I said, register for the information on how to get these rooms! People who are already registered will have the info emailed to them shortly.

Saturn of Knoxville is behind us 100%. They have offered to contact their owners and promote within the Saturn community there in Knoxville. I spoke to Tom Hodge, the owner of the dealership, and he was very excited about a meet coming to his city! He gave me the name of a place that holds an informal car show every Friday night that he thinks would be willing to allow us to have one there on Saturday, and also said we're welcome to use their dealership lot - they have 10 acres of mostly unused space!

Also, I got information about drag strips. Knoxville Dragway does a Test n Tune night every Friday. The gate fee is $8, but he wasn't sure if the racing fee was $15 or $25. On Thursday night, they do import night, and there's a group from the dealership that takes their Saturns out there every Thursday if anyone is interested in arriving early for that. The fee on import night is $15, they're sure on that one. I'm going to try and get ahold of the dragway to find out for sure what the cost is on Friday night.

That way on Friday night, we have a couple options - you can go to the drag strip or go to an informal car show. The car show is in Maryville, which is just a couple miles from the Tail of the Dragon, and the drag strip is just outside of Knoxville. The hotel we will be staying at is in the west side of Knoxville.

If anyone has anymore questions, or has anything to add, let me know! I'll be keeping you guys updated any time I get new information. Please distribute flyers and pass along information to get more people involved. Remember to register so you can have emails sent to you containing updates and so you can get hotel reservation info!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

Last edited by Spazie; 05-12-2005 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: really bad typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Sweeeet!!!! Sounds like fun. Thanks for doing the ground work for us Kat! This sounds like a ton of fun!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

I think I'm most interested in the import night and see the local performance saturn owners, and finnally get slips for my Red Line VUE... and the car show on Friday Night.

Thanks for the info Kat!!!

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Well, I've been getting additional people registered and it looks like caravans are starting to fall in place all on their own. Here are the states or general directions we have people coming from:

Ohio
Texas/West Tennessee
Virginia/East Tennessee
Florida/Georgia

If you are interested in joining a caravan, let me know!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #8
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

Woo! I'm going for sure now. If anybody is interested in coming down to Bristol a night early, Bristol Dragway (you may have heard of it as "Thunder Valley") has street fights every Thursday night during the summer. I believe it's $10 to race and $5 to watch. It's held by the local rice shop, so we could take our Saturns out there and show them how it's done.

Also, if anyone has a caravan coming through/around Bristol, I'd be glad to meet up with them somewhere and join in.

I'll go down to Saturn of the Mountain Empire and ask them if they would hand out or post some flyers, since we're only about 1 1/2 hours away!

This is going to be awesome!

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
jegster
jegster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95SL1
If anybody is interested in coming down to Bristol a night early, Bristol Dragway (you may have heard of it as "Thunder Valley") has street fights every Thursday night during the summer.
They may not have any racing that night at Bristol since it's the same weekend as the Nopi show there.

I'll be up there for the Nopi show and would really like to make it to the Tail of the Dragon but the show will take up most of my time that weekend.

Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jegstersl2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jegster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jegster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Here is a basic run down of some of the scenic routes we will be driving on during the meet! These are just guidelines, no one says you have to follow these routes or that you have to go at all, but these were recommended to me by a long time Knoxville resident. He said all of the routes are absolutely beautiful and have plenty of scenic overlook pull-offs and picnic areas.

The red spiral in the upper left corner of the map indicates the location of the hotel we are booking at.

Here are all the roads recommended:

US 129 is the road with the Tail of the Dragon. The Cade's Cove loop (337) is an incredibly beautiful road through the Smoky Mountains, and the loop really is a loop - it's one way through the loop, but on the way in and out, it's both directions. The Foothills Parkway runs along the top of a mountain ridge. The Cherohala Skyway is an exciting road to drive on, almost as good as the Tail of the Dragon.

This is the Dragon/Cherohala loop. We would start out gping southwest from Maryville on 411/129 going, then split off on 129 south. Following 129 through the Tail of the Dragon and into North Carolina, we would turn on the Cherohala Skyway at Robbinsville, NC. The Cherohala Skyway then ends into 68. We can either take 68 (a fairly well-travelled road) or just a mile or so before 68, take the more scenic 360 north. On 360 just south of where it meets 411 again, there is a nice swimming area called Tellico Beach that is very family-friendly. The Cherohala/Dragon loop takes approximately 3 hours to drive.

This route avoids the more dangerous Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway, and takes you through the heart of the Smoky Mountains. Start out south on 411/129 and split off on to 129 south. Just before the Tail of the Dragon, head northeast on the Foothills Parkway. It will take you to 337, and into Cade's Cove, where you can do a loop inside of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. You can then either return to the Foothills Parkway and backtrack, or continue northeast into Gatlinburg, catch 441 north through Pigeon Forge, and return to Knoxville. This trip will take approximately 2 hours.

I personally will be doing the Dragon/Cherohala loop first, stopping for a picnic lunch somewhere along the way, and then taking the Smoky mountain loop.

Sunday the 10th will be a day full of beautiful driving!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2005, 08:01 PM   #11
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Woohoo! Thanks to my amazing boyfriend Nick (I love you!), the registration form on the website is now up and running!

Now you no longer have to send me an email, because the registration form is right there on the page! Makes it nice and easy for you, so please register!

http://www.redlineion.com/meet/ - click on "register"

If you have already sent in an email registration, you DO NOT need to fill out the new registration form, since I already have your information saved.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I AM SOOO JEALOUS!!!!!! While I love my wife and am going to really enjoy hanging out with her in Hawai'i (25th Anniversary). I WANT TO GO!!

Seriously, to anybody who is "just thinking about it".... The routes Spazie is talking about are some of the most senic (and most challenging) in the continental US.
If you LOVE driving, this trip is for you!!! I have ridden most of these roads on my bikes and driven them in the car and they are VERY cool. For driving enthusiasts this part of the world is HEAVEN on EARTH.

GO!! Have fun, and be careful! US 64, US129, and the Cherohala Skyway are for sharpening your skills, NOT! for sightseeing!

ENJOY!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Just a reminder that hotels must be reserved by June 17th if you want to get the discounted rate. To get hotel reservation info, please register at http://www.redlineion.com/meet - under the "register" button there is a nice form that you can fill out!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #14
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Another reminder that the discount hotel rate goes away in six days so get your reservations made now!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

Had a snafu with the size of my paycheck, but i'll be there. I may be sleeping in my car and eating from vending machines, but i'll be there. I've got a fifth of what I was expecting to have... Damn bills.

I'm debating about what to bring. Should I bring my Saturn Flag and Flag pole? My mint condition Red Line Vue floormats? My factory carpet? My all weather floormats? All of the above?

I'm tempted to bring my 4 wheel disc brakes to show off, but i still haven't put them on my vue... I may have to take them out for dante when he passes through so he can drool. And so I can have one Red Line VUE owner who can vouch for their exsistance. One day, i'll get them on I hope. Probably with new rims to show them off more.

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

Last edited by fotovue; 07-03-2005 at 02:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #16
white95SL1

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

I'm coming, just a day late! Can anybody tell me when and where to meet the group on Saturday in Knoxville?

Brandon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Brandon, I'm sending out my cell phone number in a minute, just call me when you get to Knoxville and I'll let you know where we are.

For everyone else - we'll meet at the hotel in the morning (Baymont Inn Knoxville West) and then head to Saturn of Knoxville. So if you don't catch us at the hotel, we'll be a short distance away at Saturn of Knoxville.

Tonight, we'll meet at the hotel at 5 and prepare to head off to the dragstrip or car show.

Everyone who is registered, check your email soon and you'll have my phone number. If you aren't registered, PM me for my number and I'll send it to you.

Can't wait to see everyone!

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #18
white95SL1

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

Awesome. Thank you!

Brandon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2005, 12:52 AM   #19
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotovue
Had a snafu with the size of my paycheck, but i'll be there. I may be sleeping in my car and eating from vending machines, but i'll be there. I've got a fifth of what I was expecting to have... Damn bills.

I'm debating about what to bring. Should I bring my Saturn Flag and Flag pole? My mint condition Red Line Vue floormats? My factory carpet? My all weather floormats? All of the above?

I'm tempted to bring my 4 wheel disc brakes to show off, but i still haven't put them on my vue... I may have to take them out for dante when he passes through so he can drool. And so I can have one Red Line VUE owner who can vouch for their exsistance. One day, i'll get them on I hope. Probably with new rims to show them off more.
Yeah, I want to check out that kit. How about I install it on my Vue to make sure it works properly? We can't have you messing up the first Red Line Vue ever sold!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #20
Euphony010
Advanced Member
Euphony010 is on a distinguished road

Tail of the Dragon? Tomorrow? I may be able to head up and meet the gang if it's a little later in the afternoon. If you make a pit stop around tellico/madisonville/vonore, someone call me and let me drive b for a sec.

I lost my cell phone two days ago, so I lost my cell phone book, but my new number is 423-351-3002. Someone call me!

Thomas

So Long L Series... Hello Mazda 3.

I still miss the polymer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Euphony010's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Euphony010 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread