SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default Subaru or Vue AWD?

I own a 2000 Subaru Outback, and my trusty 01 SC2 and was hoping to get a Vue in the future. My question is are there any differnces between the Subuaru's AWD system from the Vues AWD system? Subaru sells their system as symetrical AWD and I heard that Mercedes bought Subaru's AWD because it is the best on the market. Just curious!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Subaru or Vue AWD?

The VUE's awd system is a part time AWD system. If you get the front tires spinning enough the rear tires will engage.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

The Subaru's fulltime AWD system is much better than the Vue's part-time system. The Vue has a rudimentary system that is not very robust, and it is very slow to react. It is basically FWD with the rear axle powered only when the front tires severely lose traction. Neither the front or rear axle has limited slip differentials or any form of traction control. It is adequate for on-road situations where all wheels get fairly equal grip, but otherwise it is mediocre.

That being said, I still bought a Vue because I liked it better and it suited my needs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

If AWD is your main need or deciding factor, then I'd recommend Subaru.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
cleblanc92
cleblanc92 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1601
If AWD is your main need or deciding factor, then I'd recommend Subaru.
I second that if AWD is your concern. I actaully purchased an '04 RL and I could not be happier with it's flexibility and performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cleblanc92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cleblanc92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
blaz
blaz is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

If you want AWD, then Suburu's is better IMHO. But you also get worse gas mileage, and the Suburu can't tow as much. Not sure, but I would guess the ground clearance isn't as high too, but that's a positive if you're not getting it for off-road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
axoid
axoid is on a distinguished road

Before I bought my VUE RL, I was seriously looking at a Forester XT. If it wasn't for the insurance cost and the requirement for premium gas I would have bought the XT. I test drove one and was able to see what it could do on both wet and dry pavement. Subaru's AWD reacts instantly and is easy to manage in emergency or aggressive driving. The XT has even more power than the VUE, but it's handling isn't as good as the RL's.

I wanted AWD because the city has a habit of not plowing my street in the winter, and for this the VUE is adequate, but it will never be a rally car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to axoid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help axoid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
jman
jman is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I bought a V6 FWD, and I found it was excellant through this past winter. I live near philladelphia and often spend time with family in NY. It handled all the hilly roads in my area with ease and the deeper snowfall in NY without a problem. My driveway also has a very steep incline and ices over like a skating rink. Traction control seemed to handle that very well.

In my personal opinion AWD is a non-necessary beast for most people. Bottom line with the Vue is that considering how poorly it is implimented in the Vue (maintenance issues, engagment delay, etc.) it doesn't seem like the positives outweigh the negatives. I've seen a few comments from other FWD owners in other threads and I think most have similar thoughts. There was even one guy who had his Rear drive removed cause he didn't like the AWD system. You also get better mileage with the FWD.

Now, go easy guys, I am not knocking all those who have AWD. Just stating that I don't think it really worked out for the Vue so far. If your really getting stuck in adverse conditions that much, your probably better off looking for an alternative vehicle with real 4WD truck based SUV like the Xterra. Otherwise your like the rest of us, and even in a FWD 4cyl toyota corolla if you had to spend 2 minutes digging a tire out one winter . . . its the worse winter you've had in a few.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Swishguy
Swishguy is on a distinguished road

I pull a 18' boat up a slippery concrete launch in the summer & a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter. The mediocre AWD system in my Vue makes just enuff difference to pull these loads succesfully. Could not do it with front wheel drive only!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swishguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swishguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
mbacis
mbacis is on a distinguished road

Yeah, as previously mentioned, there is NO comparison between Subaru's AWD and the Vue's. Our AWD Vue has kept us from getting stuck in mud and and snow several times, but that's because we purposely put ourselves in conditions where the AWD was needed, to test it out/have some fun. My other car is a Legacy GT and in slippery road conditions it's obvious that the AWD is far superior. With the Vue you're lucky if it engages at all, with the Subaru it's already there.

Somebody mentioned ground clearance. The Outback actually has more ground clearance than the Vue. 8.4" on the lower models and 8.7" on the upper models. Compared to our 8.0". The 2006 Forester will also have increased ground clearance exceeding the Vue's. I would say that offroad the Outback and Forester are more capable with their full-time AWD, their main downfall is overhang. However, if you're even thinking about doing any off-roading avoid all of these vehicles and look at an Xterra.

If you're looking at a V6 Vue then you'll need to compare the H6 or turbo Subaru. The N/A 4 cylinder will have far less power than the V6 Vue. If you go H6 or turbo Subaru you'll get a quicker car, but you'll probably pay more too.

I must say that Subaru fit and finish exceeds Saturn's by leaps and bounds. It is a much more solid feeling vehicle and handles 10 times better. It all really depends on how you'll use it though. You'll get more room to throw stuff into the Vue, plus increased ability to tow and bang stuff into the sides without denting. With the Subaru you'll get better road handling, better quality interior, and real AWD. Drive them both.

P.S. If you can stomach the styling and afford the price tag check out the new Tribeca.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbacis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbacis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I traded in a 2000 Subaru Forester L on my 2004 AWD Vue. The reason was that the Subie was in an accident (not my fault) and I didn't want to hang onto it when it got close to payoff time. Here are some observations that I found:

Forester back windows did not go down all the way, Vue did.
Subaru handled better.
Forester had slightly better gas mileage and slightly more cargo room.
The Vue had more ground clearance.
Since the Vue is wider, I can more easily take off a coat or jacket in the Vue as opposed to the Subaru.
The AWD in the Subaru was full time 50-50 split. It was great in the snow. I have not had a chance to compare the Vue yet because we have not had a decent snow around here lately.
The Subaru came with a roof rack and a rear cargo mat standard. I had to haggle to get a free cargo mat for the Vue and pay close to $300 for the roof rails, which do not hold stuff as well as the Subaru.

Overall, I do believe that the Forester was a better quality vehicle. But the Vue was better priced, came with features like a CD player and a sunroof, which were not available at the time with the Forester L.

I also like the looks of the Vue better. The Forester (at least the older models) looked dowdy. I also don't like the 'foxear' tail lights on the current Forester.

Subaru dealers are less likely to deal with you because their cars are an easier sell.

I hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
Jldet5
Jldet5 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I would get the FWD VUE before I got the current AWD. The AWD is just too sloppy with the current RDM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jldet5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
satbeav
satbeav is on a distinguished road

"Subaru dealers are less likely to deal with you because their cars are an easier sell."

I just bought my 2005 Subaru for $200 below invoice plus then took the $500 cash back! For a total of $700 below inovice

And just to add to what most people are saying the Subaru AWD is MUCH better, but you can't get 250 HP without going to the turbo and the higher gas prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satbeav's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satbeav reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread