SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
col_j1955
col_j1955 is on a distinguished road

Default 95 SL2 Lost Zip While in Gear (auto trans)

[FONT=Arial]I have a 95 SL-2 which until today has been a zippy car. My wife was driving it and noticed that while in gear it won't go above 2000 rpm and top speed was about 20mph. When put in Neutral it will rev up normally. Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_j1955's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_j1955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: 95 SL2 Lost Zip While in Gear (auto trans)

Check your trans fluid. My moms neon did that too...i pulled over and the cooler lines blew up. Is it just slipping in and out of gear or it just wont go?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
col_j1955

The car runs...it's just running sluggish. I did notice some hard shifting at the lower speeds. I'm going to check the trans fluid today. Until then, it's gonna sit in the garage. I didn't notice any leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help col_j1955 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
col_j1955

I've checked the transmission fluid and it's at the right level. Any other suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

Im at a loss...any master members wana step up for a crack at it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

valve body shot?

is it running rough? you may not be running on all cylinders...

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
allsaturn
allsaturn is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Clogged cat?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to allsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help allsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
col_j1955

It's not running rough. I'm gonna check for a locked wheel. I have an inclined driveway and I'm gonna park on the incline and put it in N and see if it rolls downhill. Like I said earlier, when in N it revs up great. If I can't figure it out tonite....it goes to the local mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
col_j1955

Now I'm truely baffled. Started the car normally, idle was fine, backed the car out of the garage and parked across the street in neighbors steep driveway. Put it in N and it rolled backwards down the slope (no wheel lock). Put the selector in 3 (to see if it handled the load) and it drove and reved up like normal. Put it in 2 and it did the same. Then put it in D and now it's running normally. Car runs fine, shifts fine, revs up like a champ in the D position. I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm no dummy either.......can't figure this out but the car is running normally now. Perhaps a wheel locked up and released somehow? Maybe I should have the brakes and/or wheel bearings looked at? What's the forum's consensus?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #10
bryan_johnson
bryan_johnson is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Please tell me you checked the parking brake(been there, done that) :-) Sounds like an electrical gremlin of some sort. If the engine would not go over 2000rpm then it's not likely a wheel/brake related problem since in 1st gear 20mph is probably 3-4000rpm on a normal day for you ;-) Besides, that much friction would have made a noticable smell and the drag would have been very noticable. Did any lights come on during the espisode, like the check engine light?

Bryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryan_johnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryan_johnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #11
col_j1955

That's the funny part...I tried to recreate it with the parking brake....got a noticeable squeal. Remember...I could increase the RPMs when I put it in Neutral. Damn Gremlins!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
col_j1955

Okay...get ready for this. After I thought the problem was solved, I got ready to drive the car to work. I started the car and left it running in the garage to warm up. While pouring a cup of coffee for the road, I heard the car stop. I went and restarted it and it wouldn't hold an idle and kept dying. Left it parked in the garage and took a different car to work. Came home and started it up and it kept the idle. Drove it around the block and it won't go above 2000RPM in drive but revs up in Park or Neutral. Sounds like an electrical problem of sorts...is there an ignition module that handles idle and load?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

check the throttle position sensor, EGR valve, and the crankshaft position sensor. Also when it dies can you smell strong traces of fuel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #14
col_j1955

I'm giving up...gonna take it in to the shop for a diagnostic check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #15
col_j1955

Took it to the shop. Mechanic said it's a transmission problem. Seems that it was running in third gear. Transmission shop is speculating "valve body" problem. As this is an intermintent problem, is there a sensor that my be sticking? Can a diagnostic check be performed to pinpoint the culprit? I'm always squeamish about transmission work....how much can I expect the hit to my wallet to be?? Is this something major or minor??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #16
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Hows your alternator?

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread