SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Crawdaddy
Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default '05 Radio Wiring Harness for Aftermarket Radio

I have a Brand New '05 ION2 with the stantard stock radio that has the single CD player in it. I have an aftermarket Sony receiver that wuz in my previous car before I totaled it in a rearending accident. I went to my nearby Car Audio shop (Mobile-One). I told them I had an '05 Saturn ION2 with the standard stock radio. The guy walks off for a couple minutes then comes back with the install kit, antenna adapter, and a wiring harness. He tells me the harness is going to cost me 120US. WTF, I know it can't be that much I thought. He explained that a lot of **** like oils lights and such are running through the radio. Before I went to the shop, I had read several thread on here about ppl trying to get to and replace the stock radio. It seems that's a simple job with a standard 20 dollar harness. When I questioned the guy, he went and talked to another sales rep and brought a harness out that's like 20ish and tells me that is my dorr chimes don't work when I put the new radio in that it's the wrong harness. Is all the systems integrated into that crutty stock radio? I don't think so, but I don't wanna go spending any money until I find out more positivley on this. TIA for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crawdaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crawdaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
joecool234
joecool234 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: '05 Radio Wiring Harness for Aftermarket Radio

Man, don't even bother with the local shops when it comes to parts. Simply call crutchfield. They should have the harness you need in stock and will charge a rather nominal fee if you don't purchase a radio from them. For an old caddy of mine, the harness and adapter cage were something like $20.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joecool234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joecool234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

LOL....I feel your pain! I just purchased a deck from crutchfeild (they throw in the install kit and harness for FREE!) and when I talked to the sales guy he told me they don't have the specs for the 05 Ion's yet because they're too new. So crutchfield is sending me the install kit & harness for the 04 Ion, and they told me that if it doesn't work I could send everything back with no questions asked. Crutchfield is a top notch company and will do everything they can to satisfy the customer. I guess I'll be the test dummy for all you 05 owners and let you know if the 04 kit & harness works on the 05. My deck went backorder and won't be shipped until the 7th, so gimme a week or so and I'll post results.

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
dacuda
dacuda is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I had the wiring harness still from my old 2000 SL and I had to do some modding to the harness to get it correct for my 2005 ION 2 but that one works just fine. But as for a new one, I had talked to a guy at Best Buy and he told me they carry one that costs about $20.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dacuda's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dacuda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:34 AM   #5
Crawdaddy

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L

so basically the guys at the sterio shop were talking out their *sses when they said I needed that 120US harness instead of the 20US one? I figured that. When I wuz there, I went out to the car with the manager and he asked me to turn the key on, and he listened for the chimes out of the speaker. Presumably on saturns with onstar and other stuff built into the radio the chimes are played through the speakers? I might be ordering some speakers from crutchfield, so I'll ask them to throw the harness and kit in too. As other people have noticed, Crutchfield doesn't have the ion listed as a 2005 vehicle because they haven't gotten the specs on them. Could I assume that all the speaker sizes and max depths are the same as the '04 models speakers? Once again, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just wanna make sure before I drop any of my hard-earned pennies on equipment I am not sure will fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Crawdaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
trasher
trasher is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I installed a radio harness for a 04 ion in my 05, and it worked perfectly.

it cost me about 15$ cdn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
joecool234
joecool234 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Before trasher replied, I was going to say not to assume anything. The harness for the 03 is different from the 04. There is a good chance that the harness for the 04 is incompatible with the 05. The only thing to do is to try it. And since crutchfield has such good customer service, they would be happy to take back an incompatible part. But since someone already has tried it out, you're in luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joecool234's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joecool234 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Crawdaddy

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L

though I guess one questiojn to ask is, since he has an ION1, he has no option for power locks, etc. I have keyless entry and I heard that sometimes the antenna is shared with the keyless entry also... would this affect anything? Soon enough I'm going to order some speakers off of Crutchfield, and I'll just get the harness from there too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
lion
lion is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
2005 ION-2 Sedan

www.autotoys.com they have the full kit, i have an 05 ion took me 15 minutes to install the radio with there setup... need more help feel free to pm me.

2005 Black Ion-1
Stock, including no floor mats!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion
www.autotoys.com they have the full kit, i have an 05 ion took me 15 minutes to install the radio with there setup... need more help feel free to pm me.
Did you need an "antenna adapter"? How do you know if an adapter is needed? Is it deck specific?

//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLAPSHOT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLAPSHOT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 AM   #11
lion
lion is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
2005 ION-2 Sedan

in the 05 it doesnt need an adaptor, i installed a sony in my car, and a JVC in the other 05 they plug right in

2005 Black Ion-1
Stock, including no floor mats!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
Crawdaddy

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 VUE 2.2L

hmm....do you think I could take the install kit and "flip" it over so that the pocket is on the top. I don't like the radio being so high on the dash. I don't use the pocket too often, and I don't think I'd mind it being higher. The opening looks rather symmetrical, so it should work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #13
bgsneeze
bgsneeze is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SL2

ok well to give the audio shop guys some credit, on many 2004 and newer GM and other cars the radio is plugged into a large harness that has your headlights, airbag, and other systems. Part of the idea that that the dealer would then install your aftermarket radio for you, also the idea i was told is that a thief taking the radio would cause the security system to lock down the car/ set off the alarm because it would then be able to sence the unplugging of the radio. and if you car has that, a relocation harness is needed, because the relocation harnesses are so large and have many wires they cost a lot, some go for $250 but most are around a $100. I checked at the Saturn dealership and they said that for 2004 and 2005s no relocation harness is needed.

You say you just passed 100,000 miles.....well I guess it is time to take off the training wheels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgsneeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgsneeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #14
grizbone
grizbone is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The part number for the metra harness for 2005's is 70-2102. If that helps. I got mine from crutchfield after finding NO-ONE local or even semi local had one, let alone know there was a different one for the 2005's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grizbone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grizbone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #15
DSLaBuda
DSLaBuda is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
1997 SL1

yep cruthfield's was great. everyhting works the same, the delayed power, the chimes, pretty sweet.

-DS
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here"
But I want to **** it all up!!"
Offspring - Americana

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DSLaBuda's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DSLaBuda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #16
SaturnPappa
SaturnPappa is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It sucks how local shops do not carry anything for 05 ions. They all try and sell you 04 stuff and say it will work. Tsk tsk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPappa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPappa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #17
grizbone
grizbone is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I don't think they are lieing at all. They dealing this kinda of stuff every day.
SOme kid comes in with a taurus thats one year and get a harness that doesn't specidically state their car and complain or question. The places I talked to were really cool once I actually explained the difference. Yeah they should know, but most this guys are just doing this to make some money, its not their LIFE. So cut'm a break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grizbone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grizbone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread