SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
slickdonkey
slickdonkey is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default When should 1993 SL2 timing chain be replaced?

I don't think the timing chain on my 1993 Saturn SL2 has ever been replaced, and I'm up to almost 150k miles. I've had it in for regular 30k inspections at Saturn and they've never recommended replacing it. Why not? Does a chain last a lot longer than a traditional belt?

Also, is this a job I could do myself without major headache? I would say I'm an "intermediate" mechanic.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slickdonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slickdonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1
Default Re: When should 1993 SL2 timing chain be replaced?

Your car has 150K, if it isn't broke, then don't fix it.
It may be a headache. If I recall, getting a good seal after you put the timing chain cover back on is a pain.
Chains generally last much longer than belts, and the belts go for 100k now. It should last as long as your engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: When should 1993 SL2 timing chain be replaced?

If you have 150K, Id consider doing it soon. Every engine we've picked up at the junkyards has had 100k or more on the clock and has needed them. We alway do a tear down and the timing chain is always stretched at least a link longer than a new one and the tensioner is at the end of its limit.

The first timing chain I did was done with the engine in the car. Never again. Much easier to do it out of the car. You can do it in the car, just take your time, make sure the surfaces are clean and dry, and use black RTV sealant. The let it sit a day or so to ensure a good seal before running the engine.

You dont want to wait for the chain to break. Because then you'll be replacing a broken engine instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread