SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
webmistress
webmistress is on a distinguished road

Default Cleaning Leather Seats

This is my first time with leather seats, and I have noticed that my driver seat is getting pretty grimey look after 15 months. Odd because I don't feel like I ever get into the car dirty or grimey.

I am scared to try different things to clean since I have never had the leather before. Any recommendations? I thought of trying those Mr Clear Eraser bars, but with the perforations in the leather seat, I am afraid it would crumble and get inside the seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webmistress's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webmistress reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
steviep831
steviep831 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Cleaning Leather Seats

Go to your local auto parts store (Discount Auto, Pepboys, etc.). All of them will have a pretty extensive cleaning section; waxes, washes, etc. You will certainly find leather cleaner care amongst the fray. I recall Eagle One leather care being pretty good. They'll have a cleaner, a toner perhaps and maybe some sort of sealant. You'll want to buy the cleaner. And by all means don't clean the leather with Armor-all.....ever. Good luck and have fun!

'04 Silver Nickel AWD Vue Redline-
'95 Emerald Green Nissan 300zx-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steviep831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steviep831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I have used Lexol brand cleaner and conditioner (in plastic squirt bottles) on my leather and even though I am up to 18k miles and just under a year, my seats still are in pretty good shape, look mostly like new, and aren't discolored, and they still *smell* new. I would recommend cleaning your leather seats at LEAST every month, maybe more often than that. I also would recommend this stuff called Tannery (in a metal spray bottle). My mom's '88 Cougar has red leather and it still looks almost brand new and we've used Tannery on it for many years.

You might also go to a leather shop like Wilson's or whatever, they have great leather cleaners there, just tell them what you're using it on. The leather in the Vue is not from real cows, I don't think. I think it's from some mutant 5-legged duck-billed platypus or something.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

What Dante said^^^

Also Griot's Garage makes a great Leather Cleaner, and it is a separate product from the Leather Restorer. Specially formulated for platypus leather!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #5
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson
What Dante said^^^

Also Griot's Garage makes a great Leather Cleaner, and it is a separate product from the Leather Restorer. Specially formulated for platypus leather!
I cannot agree more on the Griot's Garage products... just about everything I use on the VUE, chemical and tool-wise comes from there. Fast shipping, decent prices on some stuffs (my vacuum is equipped with the same hoses they use at car washes, and the associated tools, for like $34.99 from there) and some stuff is outrageous (I use a boar's hair brush to wash my VUE... I think I paid $69.99 for it... but the thing is God's own creation for washing)... but in the end it is all worth it.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson
What Dante said^^^

ROFLMAO Thanks for the props.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
webmistress
webmistress is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the recommendations. I have visited the car store once but the selection was overwhelming. Does it matter what the outside temp is when cleaning the leather? I don't have a garage. :-(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webmistress's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webmistress reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I would think that cleaning them when it is warm out would help some, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't do it when the leather is hot to the touch, though.

OT: Webmistress - are you also a member of Mercedesshop.com? There is someone on there from GA IIRC with your user name.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviep831
Go to your local auto parts store (Discount Auto, Pepboys, etc.). All of them will have a pretty extensive cleaning section; waxes, washes, etc. You will certainly find leather cleaner care amongst the fray. I recall Eagle One leather care being pretty good. They'll have a cleaner, a toner perhaps and maybe some sort of sealant. You'll want to buy the cleaner. And by all means don't clean the leather with Armor-all.....ever. Good luck and have fun!
I'll second the Eagle One leather care products for a less expensive alternative. Their cleaner and conditioner are easy to use and do a great job -- I've used them on my last 5 leather interiored cars. I love the conditioner, you rub it in like hand lotion (a great bonding experience for you and your car! ) and it smells great.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

You really need the Griot's Leather Care. And if you haven't treated your leather for 15 months, you're way behind the curve. You need to clean and treat it at least quarterly. The Leather Care will clean and nourish the 'spray-dyed' leather in our VUEs, and it even has a leather scent. For a pre-cleaning of the grungy driver's seat and steering wheel, I use 'Blue Magic' leather cleaner - I think I got it at Wal Mart, or maybe the local Advance or whatever. It has a scent that matches Griot's leather cleaner and is water-based and non-sticky. Naturally, it cleans great. Don't forget to use the cleaner on all your vinyl/plastic too, followed by an application of 3M 'Refresh' Vinyl cleaner/sunscreen. These are the best products for these purposes that I know of. It's really good to apply the Griot's Leather Care in the morning of a hot day - just wipe it on all the leather and close the car. The heat draws it into the leather, and you don't get that unnatural 'shine' from buffing. Natural, un-'painted' leather looks great with a shine, but the spray-dyed GM leather needs to be almost 'flat' to look new. In cold weather you can apply it and run the heat for a little while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread