SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
JIM03VUE
JIM03VUE is on a distinguished road

Default Oil change problem

I get my oil changed faithfully every 3,000 miles at the dealership. When 45,000 miles came, I was out of state, so I went to a Jiffy Lube. After waiting 30 minutes, they told me the could not get the oil plug off because it was a "female" screw LOL and then said it wasn't "a real screw". The guy told me to have the dealer put a "real plug" on my VUE.
Do Saturn dealers put a plug on that only they can get off in order to ensure business or was the Jiffy Lube guy just an idiot?
Anyway, I had to drive 1,100 miles more before I got home to schedule an oil change appointment at the dealer tomorrow.
Any thoughts on this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JIM03VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JIM03VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Oil change problem

Does Saturn use some form of proprietary drain plug? Not to my knowledge, on my Ion it's just a (IIRC) 15mm bolt that you take off with a standard socket wrench.
Could your dealership have lost the factory drain plug and replaced it with something different. Possibly; however, I believe they would have needed to tell you about it.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Assuming you have a 2003 w/ V6;
Pick up a TORX T45 bit and driver with a 3/8" square drive. Take this with you the next time and caution them against over-tightening. In other words, the T45 bit is like that of an electric screwdriver with a star-shaped end. It fits into a hex-shaped driver. You could use it in an electric screwdriver, but it's not strong enough. The driver looks like any other 3/8" drive socket, and you could use a regular socket for a 1/4"* nut, if you could find that set-up. Usually the bits come in a kit with the driver. You will find many TORX fasteners on today's cars, so it would be a smart buy. If the Jiffy Lube idiots have damaged your drain plug with the wrong tools, they owe you a replacement. One more thing; the drain plug has an O-ring that may come off during the oil change. Make sure it's installed or the drain plug will leak.
*I'll have to check that after I get home and look at the bit. I'll edit if different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
JIM03VUE
JIM03VUE is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info 1saxman!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JIM03VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JIM03VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

1saxman you are correct it is a T45 bit.

The Jiffy Lube monkeys don't know what to do because it's not a traditional bolt-style drain plug.

One thing I find interesting between my VUE and ION is the Ecotec holds more oil than the L81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

More than 5 qts? That's really good. The more oil, the better. Porsches have 11 or 14 qts. in the older engines, because being air-cooled, the oil is the principle coolant. I like it that the L81 has the same 5 qt. capacity as most big V8s. Any car with a spin-on filter can easily increase oil capacity by at least 1 qt. by installing a remote filter set-up, single or dual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
1saxman
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

BTW, that would be a 5/16" socket that fits the TORX bits I have, but you need the 3/8" drive special driver because it has a spring retainer that holds the bit in. If you had to, you could use the 5/16" socket with a 3/8":1/4" drive adapter so you could still use the 3/8" ratchet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

I'd be more inclined to find out where the nearest dealer is for wherever I travel, rather than use Jiffylube. The above incident, together with the fact that they claim to have inspected the transmission fluid level of a VTi (another thread) doesn't inspire confidence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
bk63
bk63 is on a distinguished road

Somebody I know took his SL2 to a Walmart for an oil change. They changed the oil and marked off filter as "sealed unit". I went back with him and made them do it again and this time change the darn filter. You really gotta watch these places. I do most maintenance myself, especially oil changes and tire rotation. Most of these places employ untrained kids or in this case some old man that just didn't want to get to the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread