SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
PaulGraz
PaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Anyone add XM radio aftermarket?

Hi...

My wife drives a 2001 LW200. Based on what I read here I am convinced we have the most reliable L-series car on the planet! It's been great...

I just bought my wife the Depli Roady XM receiver for this car. Interface to the factory head unit is easy - it came with an fm modulator. I'm now thinking about where I'm going to mount the unit on the dash, and also where to mount the antenna (and how to run the cable to that)

If anyone has done this already, please share your experiences - pics would be really great!

Thanks...

(Sorry if this has been discussed recently - I scanned the last 10 pages of posts because the seach engine would not let me search for a 2 letter string like "xm")

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 268K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
Euphony010
Advanced Member
Euphony010 is on a distinguished road

I plan to add XM to my Alpine CD player soon. But will be using thier hardware also.

On a side note, my Dad recently purchased a SkyFi unit and it seems to do a good job.

If you are using the dash, I would assume dead center and running the wires down the air vents in the front windshield.

Thomas

So Long L Series... Hello Mazda 3.

I still miss the polymer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Euphony010's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Euphony010 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
dba_little
dba_little is on a distinguished road

i have xm, but it came with my aftermarket receiver, so i dont know much about mounting it. but i did run all the cables and everything for my entire system, and its suprisingly easy in these cars. if you mount the antenna in the rear, just do like euphony said and run it through the vents and behind the dash. just pull up the step plates at the bottom of each door way and either just place them in the cavity there or you can actually run it through the hose holding all the stock wires. after that, i dont really know for a wagon, mine is the sedan so i just tucked it between the seat and the side wall and put it through to the trunk....

hope i helped, but after reading all this it sounds more like common sense and prolly didnt really need posting.... oh well....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dba_little's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dba_little reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
mcgyver
mcgyver is on a distinguished road

Default XM Radio

I did it to my 2004 L300 the day after I bought the car. The unit is mounted over the forward cupholder across the center console.

In this position, the fingers of my right hand fall right on the controls when resting my right arm on the console. I like it like this. With little practice you should never need to take your eyes off the road.

I have the Sky Fi. I don't know if the Roadie would make as clean of an install in that location.

The antenna was positioned 1/2" forward of the AM/FM mast. I used a small dab of RTV under the magnet to prevent shifting. The cble was routed beneath the rear glass molding and makes entry to the car via the LR door weather seal. If you tuck it into the rear upper corner it will never touch sharp metal. Under the 'B' pillar seat belt cover and under the carpet beneath drivers seat. Finally the cable is routed under the center console, exiting just beneath the receiver.

The DC adapter plug is a PIA. I intend to pulll the console and hardwire that sucker ASAP. I have it pluged in to the rear port and my kids keep kicking it.

Let me know if you need more info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:17 AM   #5
mcgyver
mcgyver is on a distinguished road

Default XM Radio

I did it to my 2004 L300 the day after I bought the car. The unit is mounted over the forward cupholder across the center console.

In this position, the fingers of my right hand fall right on the controls when resting my right arm on the console. I like it like this. With little practice you should never need to take your eyes off the road.

I have the Sky Fi. I don't know if the Roadie would make as clean of an install in that location.

The antenna was positioned 1/2" forward of the AM/FM mast. I used a small dab of RTV under the magnet to prevent shifting. The cble was routed beneath the rear glass molding and makes entry to the car via the LR door weather seal. If you tuck it into the rear upper corner it will never touch sharp metal. Under the 'B' pillar seat belt cover and under the carpet beneath drivers seat. Finally the cable is routed under the center console, exiting just beneath the receiver.

The DC adapter plug is a PIA. I intend to pulll the console and hardwire that sucker ASAP. I have it pluged in to the rear port and my kids keep kicking it.

Let me know if you need more info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
PaulGraz
PaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thanks to all for the advice...

I'm still looking over the car trying to figure out the best route for the cable. Wagons are a little different.

We went with the Roady over the SkyFi because it's a little smaller and my wife likes the changable display colors - her car is blue so that's the display color she'll go with. I felt the UI was a little better too - it's a little more pricey, but for $119 we got the FM modulator and the home kit thrown in - pretty good deal.

I plan to either buy or make a mount that would put the unit right next to the radio - basically to the right - on a bracket that will mount up under that woodgrain "pod" somewhere. I want it up high enough that the driver doesn't have to look too far away from the windshield to change channels. Plus she already has her Nav unit (Garmin I-Que) on top of the dash, in the center.

I promise pictures will be posted here when I'm done!

Paul

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
L200INRI
L200INRI is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hey -

I added the XM Ski Fi received to the facory system in my 2002 L200 --- It's on a bracket coming off the right side of the radio. Since I have an 1.5 hour commute each way, I LOVE it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!!!

Bill in Rhode Island
--------------------------------
2007 Saturn Vue FWD 4 -5-Speed
2007 Jeep Wrangler X - 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200INRI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200INRI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #8
L200INRI

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hey -

I added the XM Ski Fi received to the facory system in my 2002 L200 --- It's on a bracket coming off the right side of the radio. Since I have an 1.5 hour commute each way, I LOVE it.

Bill in Rhode Island

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L200INRI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by L200INRI
Hey -

Yes - tell me more about the bracket - purchased or homemade? Can you post a picture?

I've got the antenna installed and everything temporarily hooked up, but I still need to setup a permanent mount...

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
L200INRI

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hi -

Circuit City installed it that way for me. I honestly wanted it on the center console in front of the shifter, but they talked me into this. Let me try to take a picture or two tommorow and I'll post for you.

Bill in Rhode Island

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #11
Euphony010
Advanced Member

[pirate thread]

How do you like your Lincoln L200INRI?

[/pirate thread]

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thomas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Euphony010 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #12
L200INRI

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hey -

My girfriend drives the Lincoln... It's OK, but a pig on gas. She hates the Saturn saying it's too small and slow. But, my 2002 has 43k on it, and I've never had a problem except for a power door lock issue, and I have a 100 mile round trip commute daily. Her 2000 LS has 48k on it and has had a multitude of problems -- Plus being a V-8, it's not the greatest on gas.

As much as she keeps pestering me over and over and refuses to get in it... I plan on driving it until it blows up... My last car, a 93 SL2 lasted me 180,000k before I traded it in.

Bill in Rhode Island

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Sorry for the late followup - but I just finished this up today!

My wife's XM is now installed, mounted, working great. I'm pretty happy the way it came out.

I did find a commercial bracket that fits the L-series from a company called Panavise - but I didn't use that - I made my own instead.

The panavise bracket mounts the unit to the right of the radio "pod" - and I felt that would hinder access to the glove compartment.

So I made my own mount - I started with a trip to Lowe's, bought a vinyl gutter joiner section - see pic in my gallery - I cut that down until I had basically a big L-bracket. The Vinyl material was easy to cut with a dremel and a cutting wheel, but kinda messy. Then I used a heat gun to bend the bracket into a tighter angle. Again this was easy to do - this material is easy to work with.

I applied double-stick foam tape to the bottom to attach my new bracket to the top of the dash. Then I stuck the swivel-bracket that came with the Roady right on the front surface. Again, see my gallery for pics.

I just found out yesterday that the Roady is discontinued.

HOWEVER - they have replaced it with the Roady2 - which has a built-in FM modulator. That would have allowed me to free up the lighter plug. Oh well - maybe I can still hardware the fm modulator behind the dash somewhere - but for now we're all set!

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2004, 03:22 PM   #14
Euphony010
Advanced Member

Well, XM and Alpine had a little fit or something, and Alpine discontinued their XM Brain for all of their headunits.

Now I have to wait till August for a universale brain to come out, or pay out the butt for one on eBay that someone jacked the price up on.

Damn the supply/demand!

Thomas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread